News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: King-Collins new build in Eastern Nebraska: Landmand Golf Club
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2021, 06:07:52 AM »
Not sure the term "maximalism" really applies. 

It looks as simple as being presented with a humungous palette in terms of breadth and height and then minimally applying man's hand for golf playability.

Maximalism to me would be armies of dozers shaving down the high points and building up the low points as well as building artificial green sites and "features" rather than mostly finding and utilizing natural ones.

Mike

I agree with Kalen. I can't honestly say that this course looks as though it sits lightly on the land. From the photos on the twitter feed that Tim posted, it looks to me that they have shifted a fair amount of dirt. Whether they have done it to any great effect is hard to say but from the photos it does look pretty.

Niall

MCirba

« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2021, 08:25:01 AM »
Just wanted to mention how much I'm enjoying an actual architectural discussion here.  Thanks, all.  Some terrific posts.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Kalen Braley

« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2021, 10:21:35 AM »
I wanted to clarify that I don't think Maximilism is a bad word in these circles. But lets not delude ourselves - when a site is described as one that wouldn't normally be explored due to its severity, and then transformed into one that is both walkable and golfable... rest assured a massive shit ton of material has been moved.

However, as mentioned, the end product looks damn compelling so far and at the end of the day it seems like you can arrive at Naturalism via Minimalism or Maximalism, even if the former is more often the typical, and i suspect more economical, route.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2021, 11:19:26 AM »
The ethos is quite clearly not maximalism. It’s the shaping of the features as a juxtaposition to the base state of the original site that are making people believe that. The features are more supercharged than you would expect from some of the minimalists.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2021, 11:33:07 AM »
I've always felt gca would move on in some form or another. Once you've seen ten CC minimalist style courses, why see 11?  Same is true of my work, Faz, you name it.

You see it in Gil's work, I think, edging away from true restorations to incorporate their best principles in a new way.  And, I think I see it here in the photos.  Again, it's the 5th or 6th course in the region and it has to be unique somehow, which I think they are doing.  A little Doak, a little CC, even some Jim Engh muscle bunkers in there to create something pretty unique.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2021, 06:43:03 PM »
Been traveling and playing so much have been off GCA for a while and just went thru this thread....and agree it is a superb thread in many ways.

In early August I was able to take a brief (probably 90-120 minutes) tour of Landman with Will Anderson, which was arranged by Rob Collins.  No pun intended, but I really was blown away.  I will do a strange analogy here...which is that with brilliant people, there is a very fine line that separates the brilliant but productive folks from those who are brilliant but crazy...but it is a line of supreme importance.  By the same token, I think there is a very fine (but very important) line that separates great dramatic courses from those that are too wild and over the top.  Best example(s) that come to mind are both by Michael Strantz...with Tobacco Road being representing sheer brilliance and IMO Tot Hill (also in NC) being "Tobacco Road on steroids"...and over the top. 

Based on what I saw and Will Anderson's explanations, there was a lot of dirt moved to create the basic land forms that now exist...but what is interesting about the dirt that was moved is that it was done to keep the course playable and not over the top...not across that crazy line..  I would guess that in almost all other cases moving massive amounts of dirt was done to create land movement on a flat parcel (e.g. Whistling Straights)...here it was just the opposite...done to reduce the land movement which was far too extreme (at least as explained and illustrated by Will three months ago).  Hence the use of the word Maximalism (or any other derivative of Maximum) can be confusing in this case as it is being used not to Maximize the land contours but to get them to more reasonable proportions.

Most interestingly, the areas where Will said hills were partially shaved and valleys partially filled look very natural to me (and I understand that while I have played hundreds and hundreds of golf courses, I am certainly quite far from a professional in these matters)...and that to me, that is the brilliance of what they guys seem to have created. 

I would also guess that on days when the wind is really gusting, this course will end up being "over the top"...it is Rob's and Tad's job over the next year or so to make sure the % of days where that happens is not too high.  I can't be 0% (and remember there are days when TOC is unplayable) but it can't be 35%. 

My bet is that Rob and Tad will get it right...and IMO they are to be congratulated for what they have created so far...and taking the risk they did by coming so close to "the thin line" I mentioned at the start of this too long post.   

I cannot wait to see the finished product...even though my game at my age will make it pretty tough to really test it.

Ryan Van Culin

« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2021, 07:04:55 PM »
I've always thought of maximalism to be taking a flat, featureless tract of land and building it up with artificial features like waterfalls and ponds to make it something it wasn't.

I conversely think of minimalism as moving the smallest amount of earth to make it a functional golf course. If moving 500,000 cubic yards of dirt is the least you can do to make it functional, wouldn't that be minimalist?

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2021, 07:10:29 PM »
Depends on whether you are referring to what is being physically done...or, the reason for doing it!!

Jeff Schley

« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2021, 01:10:04 AM »
.  And, I think I see it here in the photos.  Again, it's the 5th or 6th course in the region and it has to be unique somehow, which I think they are doing.  A little Doak, a little CC, even some Jim Engh muscle bunkers in there to create something pretty unique.

This is probably true as being a private course they need to find their marketing niche and business case.  Love the photos certianly. 
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2021, 02:37:49 AM »
.  And, I think I see it here in the photos.  Again, it's the 5th or 6th course in the region and it has to be unique somehow, which I think they are doing.  A little Doak, a little CC, even some Jim Engh muscle bunkers in there to create something pretty unique.

This is probably true as being a private course they need to find their marketing niche and business case.  Love the photos certianly.

Landmand will be publicly accessible
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back