News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Anybody Know Anything About Golf Near MARREKECH?
« on: January 18, 2011, 03:59:27 PM »
More specifically I am interested in the Nicklaus course, Samanah CC, and the Philps course Al Maaden.   Any other useful info (not necessarily having to do with golf, but at least about Marrekech) would be appreciated.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom_Doak

Re: Anybody Know Anything About Golf Near MARREKECH?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 04:02:51 PM »
Sean:

I saw a couple of construction photos of a David Kidd course in Morocco on the seafront that looked really good.  But I don't know exactly where it was, or if it's finished.  You might check his web site.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:12:38 PM »
The Kidd project, Tagazhout, which was near Agadir, about 200km from Marrakesh, went bust in a fairly spectacular way - I have heard a variety of stories about how much money was owed there, and frankly don't know what to believe. But it was clearly a mess.

Two or three years ago, Morocco looked like a boom market, but it has gone rather quiet recently for obvious reasons. I haven't seen Al Maaden, but Kyle, I know, is quite excited about it. Rocco Forte Hotels has opened its second golf resort (after Verdura in Siciliy), Assoufid, whose golf course was apparently designed by Niall Cameron, who used to be head pro at RSG and Turnberry, and is now director of golf at Verdura.

There's an interesting project currently being talked about in the Atlas Mountains, near Fes, in the Ifrane national park. A friend of mine has been, and says the site is good, and because of the altitude, it would be a cool season course. But that's a way off, I imagine.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 05:56:30 PM »
I played the RTJ course in the Palmerie.  Ho hum.

There's a nice P&P in the Club Med village with sone severely raised greens. 

I'd go back there tomorrow, but...not for the golf.  Magical place, great food, lovely people.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 06:58:48 PM »
Adam

Do you know anymore about the Philips course?  The website (maybe I have the wrong one!) is poor and virtually useless.  Given a choice I would rather play his course than the Jack or Robinson course and I won't consider playing the RTJ course.  I also see Norman is in the middle of a project which may be stalled.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back