News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

Can you recommend a Persimmon Driver (and 3W) for..
« on: January 10, 2011, 12:53:57 AM »
me?
Birthday gift, my lovely wife has said that it would be a great gift for me ! 8)

I have looked a few used online, as well as Joe Powell. I don't have many golfing mates that use them still, the modern technology is just too good... but I would like to see where it takes my golf, I enjoy the old traditions of the game.

so, any recommendations - persimmon drivers only please.

Thanks in advance
Brett
@theflatsticker

Sam Morrow

Re: Can you recommend a Persimmon Driver (and 3W) for..
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 01:10:02 AM »
I think Louisville Golf might be your best bet. If you can get your hands on an old Wood Brothers it would be really sweet.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 07:23:33 AM »
You can still find George Izett on Ebay, just search "Izett" on ebay a bunch are there. The company is still about a mile or so from Merion but they don't sell new persimmons any longer.

They were the Big Bertha of its day.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:02:36 AM »
I second Louisville Golf. 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 08:11:40 AM »
me?
Birthday gift, my lovely wife has said that it would be a great gift for me ! 8)

I have looked a few used online, as well as Joe Powell. I don't have many golfing mates that use them still, the modern technology is just too good... but I would like to see where it takes my golf, I enjoy the old traditions of the game.

so, any recommendations - persimmon drivers only please.

Thanks in advance
Brett
Brett-Joe Powell is quality stuff.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 04:54:30 PM »
Is the insert a deal breaker?
@theflatsticker

John_Cullum

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 04:59:19 PM »
Why would you consider anything other than a vintage McGregor Eye O Matic
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 05:13:52 PM »
The most consistently really good persimmon woods were made by Homna in Japan.
If you can find one of those it is guaranteed to be a good one.
McGregor made fantastic woods but you need to get a good one - the poor ones were no good.Honma never made a poor club.
Toney Penna made great 3 woods - Seve used one for years and it was the club he hit that amazing shot out of the fairway bunker at the 1983 Ryder Cup.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 05:18:48 PM »
Brett,

First a trip to the US for the Yucca and other stops, then this?  I'd say you married quite well!
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 05:20:09 PM »
Thanks Mike, anywhere around Melb or either Peninsulas you would recommend to find one?
Brett
@theflatsticker

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 05:57:24 PM »
Brett,
I am not sure. I know where there are some in Perth - I got one for Geoff Ogilvy just before Christmas - but I won't be over there for a while.
Let me look around.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 06:44:34 PM »
Why would you consider anything other than a vintage McGregor Eye O Matic

+1
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 08:43:15 PM »
Thanks Scott - yes I did, very lucky :)

Thanks very much Clayts- much appreciated - i play off 7 (at TBGL) if that is of any help?
@theflatsticker

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 10:35:22 AM »
This answer should be a no brianer, the all time classic MaCgregor M85...The all time classic persimmon driver, nothuing else comes close....
unless you can find a Byron Nelson Macgregor another beautiful piece of wood.
Check ebay, you can sometimes get lucky...otherwise most of the best M85's went to Japan in the  mid eighties.

John Keenan

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 10:43:52 AM »
Any comments on Orlimar persimmons?   
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Michael Moore

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »
Here's how I go about it.

1. Search on eBay.com for drivers or matched sets.

2. Wait until you find clubs that are perfectly refinished. Clubs that are gorgeous, that you love the look of. This could take a few months. Manufacturer is unimportant, although I will say that I always end up with MacGregor.

3. Bid to win. You can usually get what you want for $50-$60 per club.

I have done this three times. The first time I got an incredible set of custom built MacGregors from Castle Pines. The color and finish on those was indescribable.  The driver and three wood wore out hitting the modern ball, but the four wood is still mint in the basement.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Michael Moore

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 11:56:08 AM »
First the faces just got chewed up. Then the inserts (wooden) started to come loose. Then the three wood cracked right through the heel.

I am a range rat and I swing hard. The range balls these days are really hard.

The driver could be refinished. But it's hard to find people who can do it.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Terry Lavin

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 12:01:22 PM »
This answer should be a no brianer, the all time classic MaCgregor M85...The all time classic persimmon driver, nothuing else comes close....
unless you can find a Byron Nelson Macgregor another beautiful piece of wood.
Check ebay, you can sometimes get lucky...otherwise most of the best M85's went to Japan in the  mid eighties.

The man speaka da troof!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jud_T

Chris Buie

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 02:11:11 PM »
The ones they are making today may be great but without a doubt I would choose a vintage Tommy Armour 945.

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 01:39:28 AM »
Brett

I have a very good honma 3 wood that I am happy to sell to you for a reasonable price

When I use it i do not even bother with driver it goes that well

I have it in the shop at yarra so you can drop past and have a hit on the range if you like

I do have a couple of drivers here that you can look at but there is better out there

Andrew

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 02:15:22 PM »
I picked up a Tony Penna on ebay a year ago for $35 plus shipping. I take it out every now and again for a bit of fun.

Even got a video of some fun recently!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37DaFqdBAvE&feature=related
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Bruce Leland

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 09:51:59 PM »
The ones they are making today may be great but without a doubt I would choose a vintage Tommy Armour 945.

A fine specimen and the model that served Nicklaus so well over the years.  I keep hoping that the interest level in these clubs will come back.  They are the epitome of American golfiana!
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 10:17:01 PM »

Chris,
That is a sweet looking club!
@theflatsticker

Tom Scupholm III

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 02:35:16 PM »
I suggest finding a Wood Bros.  Texan Model. 
Many tour players used them.  Back in the day you could order them with a custom sole plate, shaped like a state or a country.

one on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wood-Brothers-Texan-/270693281163?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item3f0693ad8b

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back