News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: Lister 3 - Places in America to propose marriage to your girl.
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 02:53:01 PM »
hey guys!  How did they react?  I know they said yes, but tell us the story!

I proposed on a golf course in Tennessee that we stopped at on the way down to Alabama to play the RTJ Trail.  I picked the 3rd hole which is a short par 3 over a river.  At the time she had a 33 handicap.  She hit her tee shot on the green.  Luckily she lagged her first putt to about three feet so she had to grind over her par putt.  While she concentrated on her par putt I got behind her and got the ring out and got down on one knee.  She made the putt and turned around and there I was.  I made some speech and gave her the ring.  The best part of the story in my mind is that she was so happy about the proposal that for the first time in her life she didn't really care how she was playing and as a result she broke 100 for the first time in her life!

So tell us what SHE said and did!  Did she freak?

By the way...I already figured out what I'm going to say...as we're soaking up the gorgeous view, I'll say, "Honey, I can't give you the whole world...but I can give you this..."
This thread is almost as good as watching the "View". Jay is GCA`s version of Joy Behar. After every new post I begin to well up. Thank`s for putting me in touch with my softer side. ;)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 02:58:59 PM »
Borrowing faintly from Groucho Marx, I wouldn't marry a woman who would accept a proposal on a golf course.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Doug Wright

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 03:15:58 PM »
I didn't  propose to my mainly non-golfing wife on a golf course but we did get married in Carmel, which I thought was pretty strategic...
Twitter: @Deneuchre

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 03:25:07 PM »
I proposed to my wife on an abandoned railroad spur where we would have teenaged sex, our honeymoon was spent at the Western Open which was then held at the all male Butler National.  I remain very fond of both to this day but get invited to neither.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 03:33:45 PM »
I couldn't find my reference to an idyllic spot but here goes. Have a late dinner at Greywalls, get in the car and drive up the road at Gullen Hill. Walk over to the 7th tee of Gullane Number 1. Hope for a full moon on a warm summer's evening and pop the question; there is no way she could refuse.

Bob

JC Jones

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 03:51:14 PM »
I proposed to my wife on an abandoned railroad spur where we would have teenaged sex, our honeymoon was spent at the Western Open which was then held at the all male Butler National.  I remain very fond of both to this day but get invited to neither.

Depending on the jurisdiction, the sex with a teenager may or may not land you in jail.  Not sure if that affects your fondness or not.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:52:57 PM by JC Jones »
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 03:52:58 PM »
I proposed to my wife on an abandoned railroad spur where we would have teenaged sex, our honeymoon was spent at the Western Open which was then held at the all male Butler National.  I remain very fond of both to this day but get invited to neither.

Depending on the jurisdiction, the sex with a teenager may or may not land you in jail.

Not if you're still a teenager!  Which I assume Barney was at the time...
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

JC Jones

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 03:58:49 PM »

Depending on the jurisdiction, the sex with a teenager may or may not land you in jail.

Maybe not in Illinois.  In Michigan, the age of the perpetrator (99.9999999% the male) is generally not relevant, nor is consent if the victim (read: girl) is 16 or under.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 04:06:03 PM »
We were teenaged sweethearts.  The legality always outweighed the immorality.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 04:07:38 PM »
I didn't  propose to my mainly non-golfing wife on a golf course but we did get married in Carmel, which I thought was pretty strategic...

Doug,

Which Church?

Bob

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 04:33:57 PM »

Maybe not in Illinois.  In Michigan, the age of the perpetrator (99.9999999% the male) is generally not relevant, nor is consent if the victim (read: girl) is 16 or under.

I was very close to taking offense about you talking about my wife that way and then I researched Michigan Sodomy Laws.  My God man, Michigan?, you need to mind your own business.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 04:38:30 PM »
And here I thought it was only me who had to research these kinds of laws!

JC Jones

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2011, 04:40:47 PM »
And here I thought it was only me who had to research these kinds of laws!

Have a female, former rape prosecutor turned judge as a crim law professor and no research required, it will be burned into your brain! ;D

JC Jones

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2011, 04:42:41 PM »

I was very close to taking offense about you talking about my wife that way and then I researched Michigan Sodomy Laws.  My God man, Michigan?, you need to mind your own business.

At least we aren't Wisconsin.  Their biggest criminal sexual conduct problems are with protecting the cattle.

Matt Dupre

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2011, 04:50:40 PM »
While not during the round, I proposed to my wife (21 years and counting) on the dune behind the 15th green of Turtle Point at Kiawah.  It was heading toward dusk on a beautiful October day, and it was a great junction of sea, sand and green.   ;)

Doug Wright

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2011, 08:44:37 PM »

Doug,

Which Church?

Bob

Bob,

No church, a small officiated ceremony in the courtyard of the La Playa Hotel 20 years ago. I did take a walk the night before down the beach and up the dune to the 10th green at Pebble to clear my head. I just sat there on the fringe in the dark thinking about things to make sure I knew what I was doing was right (it was). The next morning my best man and I played Spanish Bay before the wedding. So Carmel and surroundings are a special place for me for more than the usual reasons.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Philippe Binette

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 01:05:50 AM »
I don't know where to propose but the clubhouse / bar at Panorama Golf Course at the Balsams Resort in Dixville Notch N.H. is to me the most perfect place i've seen for a wedding

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2011, 01:22:43 AM »
Terry Lavin: "Borrowing faintly from Groucho Marx, I wouldn't marry a woman who would accept a proposal on a golf course. "

Didn't Groucho also say that you meet a different class of people in the middle of the Fairway - perhaps the golf course proposal is pure class...
@theflatsticker

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back