News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Probably the best place to propose to your girl is the Boboli Gardens in Florence Italy.

If you want golf however - and remember you have to pick a place THE GIRL might like - try these...in alphabetical order...

Arcadia Bluffs
Bandon Dunes
The Boulders
Coeur D'Alene
Cypress Point
Kiawah Island
MPCC (Shore)
National Golf Links of America
Pacific Dunes
Pebble Beach
Sanctuary
Whistling Straits
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tom_Doak

Re: Lister 3 - Places in America to propose marriage to your girl.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 10:00:33 PM »
Jay:

A friend of mine actually proposed on the 17th tee at the National Golf Links of America.

Sadly, they are separated now.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 10:12:39 PM »
Jay,

Then again Arnold Palmer proposed to Winnie at the Shawnee Inn...

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:23:39 PM »
Jay:

A friend of mine actually proposed on the 17th tee at the National Golf Links of America.

That was one of the places I was thinking...17 or 18.  Also 11 at Arcadia, clubhouse at Sanctuary...

Sorry to hear about your friend:(

Much of one's choice might have to with with whether the girl plays golf a lot or not.  Nance plays every so often and is a little high maintenance, so I'd have to pick a pretty place to do it.

BTW Tom, guess what Nance's fave course that she played was...BEECHTREE.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Alex Miller

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:57:11 PM »
No Kapalua?  ;D

I hope my instincts of NOT proposing to a girl on a golf course serve me well in the future (her obsession would have to rival mine, and the odds of that are low). Though I can see how it would be a good ploy to return there once every few years. 8)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:02:51 PM by Alex Miller »

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 11:15:57 PM »
Proposing to your girlfriend on a golf course is like proposing at a sports game using the Jumbotron...  ::)
H.P.S.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 11:42:07 PM »
Proposing to your girlfriend on a golf course is like proposing at a sports game using the Jumbotron...  ::)

:-X

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 11:47:36 PM »
I proposed on the 12th tee box at Calusa Pines on Valentines Day 4 years ago next month. It was at night and I had a friend set up a blanket with a candle and a dozen roses right before we got there.

The 12th tee happens to be the highest point in South Florida (only 60ft!)  thanks to Dana Fry's wonderful imagination.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 12:05:19 AM »
Here's what can work to test real love.

Stand at the edge of the 12th tee box at Old Head - the all encompassing view is spectacular and maddening for those who can't take heights.

Now as the golf groom be situated within one step of the edge of the cliff - if your lady-to-be truly loves you she will
reach out to hug you and your marriage will be off and running.

If ...

On the other hand -- she thinks your idea of a golf proposal is out-of-bounds (no pun intended) she will without hestitation
push you off the cliff and move on to the next gent. ;D

JLahrman

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 12:10:04 AM »
No Kapalua?  ;D

I hope my instincts of NOT proposing to a girl on a golf course serve me well in the future (her obsession would have to rival mine, and the odds of that are low). Though I can see how it would be a good ploy to return there once every few years. 8)

These are wise words.

So are these.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 12:10:39 AM »
 One of my buddies actually got married on the 15th green at Cypress Point about 25 years ago.  They found a minister willing
   to do it,  and despite everyone committing trespassing they were able to pull it off!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 03:48:16 AM »

Actually it's not...the Jumbotron everyone sees.  On the course, it's you and her.

What do you think of people who propose in restaurants, then?  Same thing?

Cory Lewis

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 07:06:30 AM »
I proposed to my wife on a golf course about a year ago.  It was not anywhere famous, but it was on the prettiest hole on the course.  All I can say is that if she plays golf she will love it.  My wife thought it was the perfect way to propose.  If time and finances were not factors I definitely would have picked one of the courses on Jay's list.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 07:17:17 AM »
Jay:

I proposed to my non-golfing wife of 18 years about a mile away from Newport Country Club at the Inn at Castle Hill. You have to know your audience!! She loves the ocean but is not so keen on golf architecture!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 07:25:03 AM »
Mike and Cory, you're both exactly right...you do have to know your audience.  Cory, that's a great story.  I bet she was the prettiest girl on the course too, wasn't she :)

Your story is a great one too Mike.  hey guys!  How did hey react?  I know they said yes, but tell us the story!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 07:27:48 AM »

Your story is a great one too Mike.  hey guys!  How did hey react?  I know they said yes, but tell us the story!

Jay,

It was a great story. Oh wait, she is yelling at me now to get to work and get off that "stupid golf club atlas"........

Cory Lewis

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 07:57:19 AM »
hey guys!  How did they react?  I know they said yes, but tell us the story!

I proposed on a golf course in Tennessee that we stopped at on the way down to Alabama to play the RTJ Trail.  I picked the 3rd hole which is a short par 3 over a river.  At the time she had a 33 handicap.  She hit her tee shot on the green.  Luckily she lagged her first putt to about three feet so she had to grind over her par putt.  While she concentrated on her par putt I got behind her and got the ring out and got down on one knee.  She made the putt and turned around and there I was.  I made some speech and gave her the ring.  The best part of the story in my mind is that she was so happy about the proposal that for the first time in her life she didn't really care how she was playing and as a result she broke 100 for the first time in her life!
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Tim Martin

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 08:19:56 AM »
I have goosebumps reading this thread. Sensitive does not begin to describe you guys. Wow!

PCCraig

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 08:26:13 AM »

Actually it's not...the Jumbotron everyone sees.  On the course, it's you and her.

What do you think of people who propose in restaurants, then?  Same thing?

I wouldn't recommend proposing to anyone in an Applebee's, no. :)
H.P.S.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 08:35:52 AM »
It's my 51's birthday today and Pat Craig is suddenly making sense.  It's always those gifts you never expect that are the sweetest.

Tim Martin

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 08:40:51 AM »
hey guys!  How did they react?  I know they said yes, but tell us the story!

I proposed on a golf course in Tennessee that we stopped at on the way down to Alabama to play the RTJ Trail.  I picked the 3rd hole which is a short par 3 over a river.  At the time she had a 33 handicap.  She hit her tee shot on the green.  Luckily she lagged her first putt to about three feet so she had to grind over her par putt.  While she concentrated on her par putt I got behind her and got the ring out and got down on one knee.  She made the putt and turned around and there I was.  I made some speech and gave her the ring.  The best part of the story in my mind is that she was so happy about the proposal that for the first time in her life she didn't really care how she was playing and as a result she broke 100 for the first time in her life!
You probably could have built up a fair amount of good will by giving the 3 footer. She might of said no had she lipped out.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 09:56:33 AM »
How about the Waffle House next to the local muni ?

Nah....funny though.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 10:20:28 AM »
hey guys!  How did they react?  I know they said yes, but tell us the story!

I proposed on a golf course in Tennessee that we stopped at on the way down to Alabama to play the RTJ Trail.  I picked the 3rd hole which is a short par 3 over a river.  At the time she had a 33 handicap.  She hit her tee shot on the green.  Luckily she lagged her first putt to about three feet so she had to grind over her par putt.  While she concentrated on her par putt I got behind her and got the ring out and got down on one knee.  She made the putt and turned around and there I was.  I made some speech and gave her the ring.  The best part of the story in my mind is that she was so happy about the proposal that for the first time in her life she didn't really care how she was playing and as a result she broke 100 for the first time in her life!

So tell us what SHE said and did!  Did she freak?

By the way...I already figured out what I'm going to say...as we're soaking up the gorgeous view, I'll say, "Honey, I can't give you the whole world...but I can give you this..."
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:26:26 AM by Jay Flemma »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 10:30:52 AM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:38:26 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jay Flemma

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 10:39:10 AM »
Probly low...golf was the glue that kept my parents together and the family that plays together stays together.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back