News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

The Addington has a few changes happening.
« on: January 11, 2011, 05:01:39 PM »

I’m informed by a member there are a few changes being made to the course design at The Addington by a chap called David Williams.

1. A bunker removed at the back of the 11th green.

2. Trees added between the 9th and 10th fairways 

3. The 10th back tee will fall into disuse, the winter white tee will come into play all year round 

4. A tree partially obscuring the fairway in front of the aforementioned tee has been removed already 

http://www.williamsgolf.co.uk/area/6/golf_course_architecture_New_Golf_Courses.html 

I've played two of the efforts he did with Neil Coles, Woolston Manor and Five Lakes. Doesn’t fill me with confidence.

When Ron Noades took over he cleared a lot of brush and I feel improved the course.  Bet it doesn't stop there.

Let's make GCA grate again!

JNC Lyon

Re: The Addington has a few changes happening.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 05:13:57 PM »
Tony,

Why are any of these changes necessary?  On 11, it's not as if that bunker looks out of place, and if playability is the concern there are only about six others surrounding the green.  The trees between 9 and 10 make zero sense.  Part of the appeal of the 9th is the golfer has plenty of bailout room to steer him away from the short route to the left.  I guess the loss of the back tee at the 10th does not matter too much.  It probably gets little use anyways.  However, the drive from the back tee is much more compelling than the one from the front.

It all makes little sense.  Addington has minimal funds as it is, and they should not spend money on needless changes.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 06:20:20 PM »
The back tee on 10 makes for a more interesting mid-iron approach than the wedge you have in summer from the middle tee.

John, apparently the removal of the back bunker is to get traffic going down there instead of down the narrow avenues between bunkers, damaging the turf.

Adding trees at The Addington? Lunacy.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 01:29:56 AM »
The back tee on 10 makes for a more interesting mid-iron approach than the wedge you have in summer from the middle tee.

John, apparently the removal of the back bunker is to get traffic going down there instead of down the narrow avenues between bunkers, damaging the turf.

Yeah, because that's the only place at Addington where the turf suffers. ::) ::)  I can see it as a problem, but I also don't understand why it is the number one concern for Addington.

Adding trees at The Addington? Lunacy.

Truer words have never been spoken.

"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Ben Stephens

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 04:56:22 AM »

I’m informed by a member there are a few changes being made to the course design at The Addington by a chap called David Williams.

1. A bunker removed at the back of the 11th green.

2. Trees added between the 9th and 10th fairways 

3. The 10th back tee will fall into disuse, the winter white tee will come into play all year round 

4. A tree partially obscuring the fairway in front of the aforementioned tee has been removed already 

http://www.williamsgolf.co.uk/area/6/golf_course_architecture_New_Golf_Courses.html 

I've played two of the efforts he did with Neil Coles, Woolston Manor and Five Lakes. Doesn’t fill me with confidence.

When Ron Noades took over he cleared a lot of brush and I feel improved the course.  Bet it doesn't stop there.

Tony,

David Williams has now joined up with DJ Russell and Ian Woosnam - http://www.rawgolfdesign.com/
DJ Russell has been working on Downfield recently

Cheers
Ben

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 06:03:48 AM »
Tony,

To give you a recent marker stone, David Williams rerouted the 12th at Royal Porthcawl including the creation of that green complex which I liked quite a lot.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back