News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Danny Brassil on Old Head is posted
« on: December 07, 2011, 08:28:20 PM »
How do you manage the opening of a new course?

Certainly, you want as much fanfare as possible so that golfers and media rush in.

The rub is that the course will be raw, both in terms of how it plays and is operated. To get all the grass schemes right and to be comfortable in stressing the fairway grasses so that the course plays nice and fast will take a few years. Plus, once play opens, there are bound to be some design tweaks/enhancements that improve the offering.

Still, the bottom line is, well, the bottom line. You have just spent several years shelling out money to build a course and it is time to reverse the cash flow. This tension created between the desire for revenue and presenting the best product is an interesting one. For modern architects and owners, they must also deal with golf course raters from various magazines who swoop in and sometimes never return. This phenomenon didn’t exist in the Golden Age.

Of course, some courses open with a big bang and get even better; a prime example is Bandon Dunes. How do we know about its improvements? Because we go back every few years, first to play Pacific Dunes, then Bandon Trails, then Old Macdonald, etc.

Other courses aren’t as fortunate to have siblings to drive a regular flow of repeat business. Such is the case for Old Head in Kinsale, County Cork. It is a true stand alone entity as there is no course of comparable quality within a two hour drive. Golfers go to that part of the world for only one reason (artists and foodies go there for wholly other reasons). Old Head is certainly one of those ‘build it and they shall come’ courses that was constructed in a decade long era that includes Sand Hills, Barnbougle Dunes, and Cape Kidnappers.

Like many, The Morrissett Gang of Four charged there in late early May, 2000 to see what the fuss was about. Certainly, the location was as spectacular  :o as advertised and the routing was quite good as the cliff impacted play on both sides of holes.  Yet, some of the mounding and detail work wasn’t the best. After two days, off we went, never to return. In the ensuing decade, pictures of Old Head continually popped up in various publications as it is occupies an almost comically mind-blowing site yet I never read too much in regards to the specific tinkering/refining that has occurred, much of it since 2007.

In the past year or so I noticed that Old Head made a big jump in the rankings of a British golf magazine. It made me curious and and I opted to reach out to Old Head in the hopes of an explanatory Feature Interview. As luck would have it, their Director of Golf, Danny Brassil, has been there since the beginning and kindly agreed. In forming his answers, he also worked with General Manager Jim O’Brien who has been there since the early days as well. Throughout the Feature Interview, they touch on some of the 25 plus things of significance accomplished by their on-going in-house work. They continue to look for ways to get the maximum out of the two thousand plus yards of cliffs that the course enjoys as well as working on the interior holes via better grassing schemes and superior putting surfaces throughout. Essentially, it seems to me that they aren’t content to ride on the coattails of their one-off setting but continue to tweak things for the sake of better golf. Personally in looking at various photos, some of the starkness from the early days seems to have softened in an appealing manner though the course will obviously always remain true to its rocky promontory location.

As an example of one of the improvements, the twelfth green has been pushed 60 yards back since opening day. It now sits in the neck of the headland and (I suppose!) the approach to the green may now match the thrill of the tee shot over the cliff wall as seen in the lower left.

Part of the mission of GolfClubAtlas.com is to both update and acknowledge good architectural work being done worldwide. This Feature Interview falls in those categories and it makes me very much want to get back to Old Head see both the improvements and how the maturation process has unfolded.

This month’s Feature Interview follows the October Cabot Links one as being focused on a specific club/course. Next up will be one of a private club in California, followed by ones at an Australian and Midwest club/course.  I need to find an Asian enterprise as well. Cumulatively, we hope that this series of Feature Interviews will be uniquely informative and provide the reader with a sense of what is working (and what is not) at golf courses around the globe.

In the meanwhile, hope you enjoy catching up on some of the ‘quiet’ work that has been taking place at a course like no other.

Cheers,

William_G

Re: Feature Interview with Danny Brassil on Old Head is posted
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 08:53:05 PM »
thanks!
It's all about the golf!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 10:19:22 PM »
Nice job...they seem to get "it." Take a look, treat it fairly, move on. Nice, understated interview.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 11:12:29 AM »
Thanks for the interview Ran.  I'm not sure I will ever get the opportunity to return to Old Head but it is a good reminder of the limitations inherent in forming opinions on a course based on one visit, especially when that visit was many years ago. 

Jackson C

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 01:10:06 PM »
I enjoyed the interview Ran.
Good to hear they are focused on improving the course slowly but steadily.

Serious question -- has anyone fallen off the cliffs?  It looks precarious.  Someone with fear of heights would have problems getting on some of those tee boxes, and with the wind blowing ...
"The secrets that golf reveals to the game's best are secrets those players must discover for themselves."
Christy O'Connor, Sr. (1998)

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 12:12:24 PM »
Thanks Ran. Thoughtful and frank interview. It's nice to see a course/ facility team recognize where they need to refine and then go about their work. When I venture to Ireland this track will be on my list if the stiff tariff can be met. I'm glad the quality of presentation is on the upswing.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Chris Roselle

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 12:40:36 PM »
Wonderful interview Ran.  I was fortunate enough to play Old Head during the summer of 1999 and fell in love immediately.  What spectacular views and it is great to hear about all the improvements that have taken place.  I loved the course back then and I'm sure I will only love it more on my next trip over.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 08:33:47 PM »
Wonderful interview Ran.  I was fortunate enough to play Old Head during the summer of 1999 and fell in love immediately.  What spectacular views and it is great to hear about all the improvements that have taken place.  I loved the course back then and I'm sure I will only love it more on my next trip over.

Interesting interview.
Amazing how opinions are formed based on one play when a course isn't quite ready for prime time.
We do tend to forget how much tweaking has gone at all courses, including and especially the greats, yet we pass immediate and permanent judgement on a new course and or operation.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Danny Brassil

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 09:27:56 AM »
I enjoyed the interview Ran.
Good to hear they are focused on improving the course slowly but steadily.

Serious question -- has anyone fallen off the cliffs?  It looks precarious.  Someone with fear of heights would have problems getting on some of those tee boxes, and with the wind blowing ...

In Response to your question thank god no one has fallen off the golf course However during the original constuction we did lose a 20-tonne dump truck whilst building the 15th tee's, we also lost a tractor and trailer full of plants off the 17th hole about 4 years ago.

Sean Leary

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 09:54:48 AM »
I played Old Head back in 2001 and without a doubt it was the most spectacular place I have ever been. My tee time reservation got messed up (not their fault, mine) and the people there could not have been more helpful. it is without a doubt worth the trip. Kinsale itself is worth a trip without the golf.

I was there in April an played in windy conditions. The day before, it was REALLY windy and the caddies told me that on one part of the golf course ( I believe walking from old 12 green to 13 tee) that the caddies physically could not walk over the high point because the wind was so strong. So the got on the ground and crawled with the bags!

Danny, has any one aced 15 yet?

Dan Boerger

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 03:26:04 PM »
Thanks for this interview -- very interesting read. I played Old Head twice ... in 2003 and 2008. A really fantastic site and the golf experience was top notch. On the second visit, we arrived at Kinsale the evening before and then at the course in heavy fog that next morning. The fog didn't clear until after we teed off. By the time we got to #4 it had cleared ... you could see the jaw drops in the group, particularly to those who had never been there.

I recall some re-sodding being done on 17. It appeared to be a case of fighting constant erosion. Has the turf taken there better?
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Danny Brassil

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 05:27:16 AM »
Hi Dan, the winter's of 2007 & 2008 were very tough in Ireland and we had to returf an area of the 17th fairway both winters.The problem both times was a mixture of wind erosion but the main factor was the sea salt burning the grass so it was easier to returf the area as opposed to treating it.We havent had the problem since 2008, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 12:26:36 PM »
Very interesting interview. Thanks Ran

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 11:21:42 AM »
I had the pleasure of playing Old Head for the first time this past October. We had just spent 4 days on the West Coast playing the usual suspects and had experienced some rather breezy conditions. I knew from seeing pics and accounts of OH that there were some precarious perches and I was getting a little nervous of the prospect of 50mph gusts and tee boxes hanging 300 feet above certain death :)

We rolled into the parking lot at 0800 for an 0830 tee time and we were the first car there.  After 4 days of pea-soup fog the skies were perfectly clear and the sun was brilliant. It was also dead calm. The staff was telling us how fortunate we were for the good weather but we figured we had paid our dues earlier in the week with the sandblasting we took at Lahinch!

We thoroughly enjoyed the golf course and the experience. As has been discussed many times, while there are few world class holes we really didn't think there were any bad holes. And I can't imagine a more spectacular setting. Huge wow factor on almost every hole.

Like Danny I thought number 4 and 12 were fantastic but number seven was my favorite par 3.

The most amazing place on the golf course however, is the black tee box on 18. I didn't dream of playing from back there (265 to safety) but what a thrill to just stand there.

Incredible fun factor-I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back