News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: If the current economic environment continues, will
« Reply #350 on: February 09, 2011, 05:34:29 AM »
Mike,

There's no question that the debt burden has to be dealt with and this will be a drag on growth.  Not necessarily a death sentence mind you, but a drag nevertheless.  It's a dicey situation because of the nascent recovery.  You don't want to kill the goose before she's laid any eggs.  The real elephant in the room is dealing with long-term liabilities, i.e. social security and health care as well as making real deep cuts in government spending over time and unfortunately, inevitable tax increases...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

David_Tepper

Craig Van Egmond

mike_malone

« Reply #353 on: February 10, 2011, 03:50:08 PM »
 I have called recent economic data a "thin veneer of positives on top of a glacier of problems".
AKA Mayday

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #354 on: February 10, 2011, 10:10:55 PM »
Mike Duffy,

Every generation in America has done better than the previous generation,....................... until now.

It was recently reported that for people 25 years of age, 37 % of their income will go to fund entitlements in the future and that funding the debt will cost more.

That's a hell of a future.

I'm not worried about myself, I'v lived a good life.
But, I worry for my kids and grandkids.
I don't think they'll ever see what my generation and my father's generation enjoyed.

I think the generations that will benefit and enjoy an improved standard of living the most, are the young Chinese.

If we don't ease regulations, the cost of transacting business and bring back manufacturing, we'll never regain our former lofty status.

David_Tepper

« Reply #355 on: February 11, 2011, 12:25:01 PM »
"The Real Estate Washout That Wasn't"

"Prices of commercial properties sold by institutional investors surged 19 percent in 2010, the second-biggest gain on record, according to an index developed by the MIT Center for Real Estate."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/The-Real-Estate-Washout-That-bizwk-1087938482.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=8&asset=&ccode=

David_Tepper

« Reply #356 on: February 11, 2011, 01:04:37 PM »
Shivas -

Here is an idea. If this thread does not interest you, don't read it.

DT

jeffwarne

« Reply #357 on: February 11, 2011, 04:16:37 PM »
I'd love to avoid this thread, but the fact is that I CAN'T.  Why?  Because you keep bumping it up every fricking day with yet another cut and paste link to a a Yahoo! story.  

There is no reason for this thread to continue on this board.  None.  We all already have internet access and Yahoo already.  We can all read this stuff elsewhere if we're so inclined.  You do not need to play paperboy for us.

Go long with every nickel you have or just stop.  I really don't care which.  Just let this thread die.

keep 'em coming David T.
great to hear some good news reported amidst the daily gloom-it's actually merely a counterpoint to an on topic thread.....
but then I may just be a dinosaur
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #358 on: February 11, 2011, 04:34:57 PM »
Shivas,

Golf is obviously a lagging industry in this recession. Many here feed their families from golf. Yes things are much better in our respective sectors, but a little "light at the end of the tunnel" from David  for our golf industry friends seems like a nice change of pace.

I have no doubt that a few course openings would clear the cobwebs for many here.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #359 on: February 11, 2011, 05:15:42 PM »
Hey Shivas, if I could finally ignore your cheater line threads, you can surely ignore David's good (or at least better) news posts.  Fair is fair!

Lou_Duran

« Reply #360 on: February 11, 2011, 06:08:43 PM »
Mike Sweeney- I am having a hard time picking you out of the picture.

Funny how news is written, emphasized, and perceived depending on whose side is in the White House.  I remember when 5% unemployment during Bush's terms was projected and seen in extremely negative light.

25% of GDP and an aging population that's growing primarily through immigration might be all that needs to be said.

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #361 on: February 11, 2011, 06:34:44 PM »

If we don't ease regulations, the cost of transacting business and bring back manufacturing, we'll never regain our former lofty status.

This is it in a nutshell.  We can't outsource making all our stuff, expect every job to be a service job, and thrive as an economy.

David_Tepper

David_Tepper

« Reply #363 on: February 19, 2011, 10:07:06 AM »
"Hyundai's Swift Growth Lifts Alabama's Economy"

The Hyundai plant in Alabama built 300,000 cars last year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/19/business/19hyundai.html?hp

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

David_Tepper

« Reply #365 on: February 19, 2011, 01:30:35 PM »
Here is (hopefully) a working link to the article on Intel's new plant in Arizona:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2011/02/19/20110219biz-intel0219.html

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #366 on: February 21, 2011, 12:20:18 PM »

David_Tepper

Michael Dugger

« Reply #368 on: March 01, 2011, 03:04:51 PM »
If the economy tanks in the coming months do we all get to tar and feather David Tepper for posting this stuff all the time???
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

David_Tepper

« Reply #369 on: March 01, 2011, 05:00:43 PM »
"If the economy tanks in the coming months do we all get to tar and feather David Tepper for posting this stuff all the time???"

Michael Dugger -

As I have said before on this thread, I am simply relating facts and information available in the public domain that many of the gloom & doom-ers have chosen to ignore, willfully in some cases. No endorsements or recommendations are implied!

That being said, my clients & I do indeed eat my cooking. While there have been some bellyaches at times over the past 20+ years, I  am very pleased with what has come out of the kitchen over this period.

DT

David_Tepper

« Reply #370 on: March 17, 2011, 12:03:13 PM »
"U.S. millionaires population expanded by 8% in 2010"

(but, then again, a million dollars just isn't what it used to be!)

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-millionaires-population-cnnm-649773567.html?x=0 

mike_malone

« Reply #371 on: March 17, 2011, 12:16:40 PM »
http://www.philadelphiafed.org/research-and-data/real-time-center/business-conditions-index/

Real time econ. analysis which seems to say both sides can make their case.
AKA Mayday

Tim Leahy

« Reply #372 on: March 17, 2011, 05:19:37 PM »
"Hyundai's Swift Growth Lifts Alabama's Economy"

The Hyundai plant in Alabama built 300,000 cars last year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/19/business/19hyundai.html?hp

I just spent $80 for a tank of gas today, cars are not the answer!
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

PThomas

« Reply #373 on: March 17, 2011, 05:28:38 PM »
Mike Sweeney- I am having a hard time picking you out of the picture.

Funny how news is written, emphasized, and perceived depending on whose side is in the White House.  I remember when 5% unemployment during Bush's terms was projected and seen in extremely negative light.

25% of GDP and an aging population that's growing primarily through immigration might be all that needs to be said.

i remember when Reagan was campaigning in 1980, criticizing Carter for running yearly deficits of $60 billion........oh well, he onlly increased that by a factor of 5 and started this country down its path of ridiculous debt levels which was halted a temproarily by a Democratic President....

i'll stop there...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

corey miller

« Reply #374 on: March 17, 2011, 05:52:21 PM »

Paul

I know it is thirty years ago but might it be relevant what the levels of debt we were/are funding was/is  being spent on?  Would you like to contrast the two?  I have no clue what the pro-growth policies of this administration are but clearly with this man in the White House we have a giant regulator on our growth rate though the ratio of bueracrats in government telling business men and women how to run their business is at an all time high.

As for Reagan....some of the benefits (in addition to jobs and >GDP) were not realized for many years until we had what even President Clinton called "a peace dividend">

Also it might be advisable when talking about debt to use Debt/GDP as well as Deficit/GDP.  On those measures(and please advise me if you disagree) Reagan is not even close to Obama and i can only shudder to think what kind of "dividend" we will get from Obama in the future.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back