News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Oneonta Country Club/Turin Highlands
« on: December 31, 2010, 04:35:12 PM »
In addition to what looks like a wicked, horseshoe par five, Oneonta (New York) Country Club has the distinction of being one of two William Harries designs outside of Buffalo-Niagara (Turin Highlands in Turin, NY, being the other.)  My questions for you'all is, has anyone had the pleasure of playing either or both of these two courses (and care to comment)?  Turin is due north of Utica, NY, while Oneonta sits on a diagonal between Binghamton and Albany.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JNC Lyon

Re: Oneonta Country Club/Turin Highlands
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 07:04:02 PM »
Ron,

Unfortunately, I have not played either course.  However, the Oneonta website has a list of Harries courses which includes Normanside in Albany.  From what I hear, Normanside is a very neat golf course on wild terrain near Normans Kill.  There is a neighboring public course next to Normanside that was originally designed by Emmet and Tull.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

scott_wood

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 08:15:42 PM »
There is a neighboring public course next to Normanside that was originally designed by Emmet and Tull.

yes, it's just across the "kill", but it was completely torn asunder/obliterated to make the NEW public course in the early/mid 90s....
Mayor Whalen, who succeeded Eratus Corning ( longest Mayoral officeholder in the US @ his death @83) was an avid golfer, who oversaw the "new" Albany Muni, hiring the old pro at his course, Wolfert's Roost, to be the lead designer.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 10:38:08 PM »
There is a neighboring public course next to Normanside that was originally designed by Emmet and Tull.

yes, it's just across the "kill", but it was completely torn asunder/obliterated to make the NEW public course in the early/mid 90s....
Mayor Whalen, who succeeded Eratus Corning ( longest Mayoral officeholder in the US @ his death @83) was an avid golfer, who oversaw the "new" Albany Muni, hiring the old pro at his course, Wolfert's Roost, to be the lead designer.

Scott,

I knew the muni had been changed dramatically, but I did not know the full story behind it.  It sounds par for the course for New York State politics, particularly in Albany.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back