News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lou_Duran

BEST TIME TO VISIT AUS ....
« on: January 01, 2011, 06:30:48 PM »
.... in terms of weather AND value.  Golf in Melbourne and Sydney, maybe NZ. water activiities near Cairns.  Newbie.

Scott Warren

Re: BEST TIME TO VISIT AUS ....
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 06:40:22 PM »
I would say September/October or April/May.

Any time over summer would be great for Melbourne and Sydney (albeit probably on the hot side), but the wet season in Cairns is Dec/Jan-March.

I'd go with Sep/Oct - dry up north, and warm but not stinking hot down in Syd and Melb.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 06:53:31 PM »
Lou,
School holidays are generally Sept - 2 weeks varies between states and summer holidays - 6-8 weeks mid Dec thru yo early Feb.
Holidaying in these times may increase acc prices in some areas, particularly touristy places (Qld)

http://australia.gov.au/topics/australian-facts-and-figures/school-term-dates
@theflatsticker

Mark_F

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 02:51:23 PM »
It would generally be March/April.

Sept/Oct the weather is far too changeable.  March/April are much more consistent, generally.  March and April before Easter you escape the school holidays. Sandbelt courses should be in mint condition after Spring and Summer, whereas Sept/October they can be a little iffy depending upon the weather, and greens may be cored sometime during this period.

NZ is nice at any time.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 02:56:34 PM »
I agree with Mark - March.
Good weather. Courses in good condition.
Weather is usually dry, not too hot, consistent, and good for golf, and other outdoor activities.

Off-peak for flights / accom costs, and, it's not school holidays / Easter break either.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Lou_Duran

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 06:04:47 PM »
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies.  The fall is the best time for me, though now the Dixie Cup has my interest.  March is the King Putter at Bandon for which I am committed.  AUS/NZ would be our big trip this year, so maybe the first couple weeks of April before the Easter holidays?  I'll start looking for flight, hotel, and car deals shortly.  Whoops, I forgot the Buda.  Some difficult decisions; a lot to look forward to in 2011.  Again, thanks for your input.   

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 08:57:02 PM »
.... in terms of weather AND value.  Golf in Melbourne and Sydney, maybe NZ. water activiities near Cairns.  Newbie.

Lou

The short answer given our climate = anytime  ;D

But - as a recommendation I would say during our "daylight saving" period from begin Oct - end Mar where you can easily travel around and get two courses in one-day.

Note: Qld / NT / WA do not observe the moving of clocks during that time.

Also be aware - that  is the box jellyfish season near Cairns at that time of year and extra precautions need to be observed in the ocean.

James Bennett

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 11:25:05 PM »
Lou

March is excellent, just do Cairns on the way home.  April can be fine, but daylight saving finishes at the end of March, so early golf is ok, but golf after 6pm is out (dark).

There is the Boomerang in early March, at Barnbougle....

Failing that, it depends on where you want to go and what risks you can take with good but less favourable weather.

I would suggest (if you have choices, and want to go north on the holiday) that you avoid December to March.  Would you go to Florida in their summer (June-August)?  If so, consider December-Feb, if not, avoid it.

Re Melbourne sand-belt, just think LA coast (not inland), and add 6 months for similar weather.

Hope to see you down under. PM me if you wish.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back