News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

New 12 hole par 3 course at Bandon to be called....
« on: December 30, 2010, 10:36:09 PM »
"Beach Loop"

Permits were recently secured for Mike Keiser to build the course.

The course will be due west of Trails as has been discussed here. The ocean to the west, Cut Creek to the north and the Mckee Preserve to the south.

Coore and Crenshaw will start the loop of par 3's with the first tee near the first tee at Trails.

Proceeds from "Beach Loop" will help fund natural resources in the Mckee Preserve.

Additionally, in 2010 the Keisers have donated over $400,000 to local organizations in Bandon and the Southern Oregon Coast (up from 225,000 in 2006).

Thank you Mike Keiser.
It's all about the golf!

Ronald Montesano

Re: New 12 hole par 3 course at Bandon to be called....
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 01:59:38 AM »
What happened to "Conservation Course"?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

William_G

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 04:27:54 AM »
O'Hooligan,

Sorry, never heard about "Conservattion Course".

Thanks
It's all about the golf!

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 12:32:47 PM »
Conservation Course was the first name for the course as discussed in an earlier thread http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42092.0.html   I have heard tell that the expected rate to play is to be $100.  As used almost exclusively as an alternative IMHO for replay, I wonder if this would be $50 prime season.

Michael Blake

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 07:27:41 PM »
Name's worse than Old Macdonald.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 07:40:49 PM »
I like the name, provided it accurately describes what it is
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 09:00:58 PM »
My question is whether "Beach Loop" is the final name of the course or just a title necessary for a permitting process. It won't go down to the beach and the only beach views will be distant ones.
Howard's End?
Dunes Dozen?

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 09:10:33 PM »
Sounds great, but I wonder if Mr. Keiser might be willing to consider breaking the "par 3 course" mold and mix in a few short par 4s as well. 

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 09:32:14 PM »
Hello Peter!

Tom here............wishing you and yours a Hearty New Year!

Thought I'd butt in here for accuracy's sake (something these conversations seem to need from time to time!)

There was no name attached to the routing during the permitting process....
...Several names have been used informally during the process of developing plans, 'Beach Loop' being the latest.

At every turn in the routing there are tremendous views, of the beach, the Cut Creek channel and delta, the Pacific, Bullards Park, the town, Bandon Dunes course, the dunes, Bandon Trails.........quite lovely vistas abound.

To me what is quircky and what sticks about Beach Loop is this...the drive along the bluffs in the town is Beach Loop Drive.  So for the locals at least the name has an easiness to it.  JMO.

Best to all,

Tom

the pres

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 10:50:13 AM »
I knew that the pres would chime in eventually with some background info...thanks, your jefferson-ness!

I like 12 par threes and hope that they will range from 95 to 240 in length, eliminating the need for par 4 hole designations (and the need for less than a full sack.)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 11:26:52 AM »
G'mornin..............best of the new year to ye!

One more post to help provide accurate details about the par three course:

Wade;   There is no room for longer holes, as the project, as conceived and as approved by the lead agency, is about 23 acres.

Ron;  In the present routing, which is still fluid......still some routing choices to make....the holes range from about 70 yds. to about 170.  Those certainly might change a bit as the work progresses.

The several names used for the project have served as working names only.....they have simply flowed along as ideas, from several different sources....each has had a life, only to be replaced very organically by the next name.

There is some transplanting of some native plants to accomplish, and the clearing to commence.....sometime in the new year. 

All I know on this beautifully still winter morning, is that cups have been freshly cut and the flags are in place, the wind is down, and there is some wonderful golf to be played this year...........more of the great game..!.......all the best to EVERYONE.

Tom

the pres

Alex Miller

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 03:22:20 PM »
So can I play here early in the morning, then play 2 more rounds on the full 18 courses for 1/2 price? A 6:00 am 12 hole warmup followed by 36 holes sounds perfect to me.  ;D

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 04:20:54 PM »
Tom,
Happy New Year to everyone at BD. Thanks for setting me straight.

Jeffrey Stein

Re: Bandon Preserve
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 01:45:24 AM »
I'm not the first to break the news, but I wrote an article for Out and Back about the Bandon Preserve, that I would like to share with my GCA friends. 

I'm working on-site teamed up with another young aspiring golf architect, Zach Varty, from Minnesota.  Currently we are manually clearing beach grass and scotch broom to open up views of the dune contours.  Dave Zinkand is carrying out design decisions daily for Coore and Crenshaw and working with Tony Russel and co. to get the course where it needs to be.  Watching them work daily is a tremendous education in itself.

Enjoy the article!     http://www.out-and-back.net/?p=2521

Jeff
I love the smell of hydroseed in the morning.
www.steingolf.com

Carl Rogers

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 01:34:44 PM »
Tom showed Scott Weersing, Jeff Doerr & myself around the par 3 course February 19 early in the AM.  It will be a surprisingly hard test.  It will have terrific views over Bandon Dunes & the Ocean.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 11:54:19 AM »

The new course will be great. No, it does not have an official, marketable name.

As to how many holes there will be, they are planning on shaping 13 greens as Coore found another location and was able to make the routing work to include 13 green sites. That does not mean there will be 13 greens when they are finished. But it could be.

The first green is already grassed and ready as it will be the upper putting green for Bandon Trails.  As to rest I know, I was sworn to secrecy after my tour.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back