News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

kconway

London Sand Belt Trip
« on: December 29, 2010, 04:46:55 PM »
I am planning a trip this spring to play the London sand belt courses.

I would appreciate recommendations for courses to play and places to stay and eat.

Thanks,

Kelly Conway

Scott Warren

Re: London Sand Belt Trip
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 04:55:31 PM »
Don't miss Hankley Common, New Zealand or The Addington.

Don't baulk at the day rate at The Berkshire - it's worth it. But make sure lunch is on (pack a coat and tie).

Woking can be had very cheap (40 quid or so) after 4pm. John Lyon managed 32 holes in that time, such is the daylight!

Save on a rental car, stay near Waterloo and do it by train each day.

Eat at Wahaca, Cha Cha Moon and Mother Mash while in central London. If you like Dim Sum I can find out what the good one is called (there is only one good one...).

Forget Brick Lane, go to Tooting for a curry instead (Lahore Karahi just north of Tooting Broadway tube is the business).

Try to spare a day or two to catch the high-speed train down to Deal and Sandwich.

kconway

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 04:57:36 PM »
Scott,

Thanks...any thoughts on Walton Heath, Rye and Swinley Forest?

Kelly

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 05:08:29 PM »
Walton Heath is wonderful. I have only played the Old (twice) and it is one of the most bulletproof golf courses I have ever seen, not to mention immensely beautiful. It isn't too far from The Addington (compared to the rest of the heathlands) so they could be paired for a 36-hole day. I have heard some people say the New is quite like the Old in character and aesthetic and that playing both in a day isn't really necessary, but I must reinforce I haven't played the New. From memory Tony Muldoon prefers it to the Old.

Rye is an experience that goes far beyond the golf course, which is magnificent in its own right. If you go in the height of summer it will be very hard and fast. If planning to visit Rye as well as Deal and/or Sandwich best to hire a car as Rye is a long way from the train and the taxi fare either way + train fare will cost as much as a car for the day, I'd reckon. They have a Dormie House that was Bernard Darwin's home for the final decade or so of his life.

Swinley Forest is a majestic place that should be seen if you're able. Again, the lunch is a wonderful one (I'm starting to sound like Mark Chaplin... ;D). They are, contrary to some reports, exceptionally friendly there.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 05:10:12 PM by Scott Warren »

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 05:20:30 PM »
Scott,

Thanks...any thoughts on Walton Heath, Rye and Swinley Forest?

Kelly

Rye is an experienced not to be missed.  Played it last year, found the membership to be very welcoming and hospitable and the lunch buffet was wonderful!  The course lived up to the hype, a few goofy holes, but overall a very playable and fun course.   Get a day ticket,  it is worth 2 rounds.  Each round took less than 3 hours, so plenty of time to enjoy the atmosphere and recover from the most memorable lunch.

The town of Rye is an absolute gem.  Would recommend staying there for a few nights.  So much history and golf related sights, and wonderful walks around town.  Great restaurants.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 06:06:43 PM »
I have three recomendations:

Play Woking and stay at the Star Pub; great old world pub with nicely renovated rooms upstairs, within walking distance of Woking.

Don't miss West Sussex in Pullbourogh; there's a fabulous B&B right behind the GC which is in the same unique Arts and Crafts style as their clubhouse, great breakfast too.

Also I would seek out Royal Ashdown Forest, just an awesome bunkerless course. Unfortunately there are only two options in the village for lodging, neither all that attractive but it is located very close to Gatwick; if you are lucky enough to flying in or out of there.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 06:39:01 PM »
Kelly this  sounds like a great idea, but already 14 courses have been mentioned.

Help us out a little. I'm guessing form the 'Sandbelt' comment this will be your first trip?  (Heathland ;))

What kind of golf do you like?  Short and Quirky or big and brawny?

If you want to see a selection, how long have you got?

Do you want to play links? As JNC Lyons proved, you can probably play half of George Peppers 246 links courses in the world, on a day trip from London.  But it’s easy to play Royal St George’s(this year’s Open venue), Deal, Princes, Littlestone, Rye or Burnham on a day return.   All fine courses.

There are also about 150 heathland courses and about1/3 of them can easily be played on a day trip from London.

MM then there’s budget.  Wentworth was £225 last time I looked and I’ll never pay that but Woking for £40 is worth seven plays in a week.

So fill in a bit more info and I’m sure you’ll get some good advice, and hopefully we can meet up.

Tony
Let's make GCA grate again!

JNC Lyon

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 09:42:09 PM »
Kelly this  sounds like a great idea, but already 14 courses have been mentioned.

Help us out a little. I'm guessing form the 'Sandbelt' comment this will be your first trip?  (Heathland ;))

What kind of golf do you like?  Short and Quirky or big and brawny?

If you want to see a selection, how long have you got?

Do you want to play links? As JNC Lyons proved, you can probably play half of George Peppers 246 links courses in the world, on a day trip from London.  But it’s easy to play Royal St George’s(this year’s Open venue), Deal, Princes, Littlestone, Rye or Burnham on a day return.   All fine courses.

There are also about 150 heathland courses and about1/3 of them can easily be played on a day trip from London.

MM then there’s budget.  Wentworth was £225 last time I looked and I’ll never pay that but Woking for £40 is worth seven plays in a week.

So fill in a bit more info and I’m sure you’ll get some good advice, and hopefully we can meet up.

Tony

Prestwick = VERY doable in a day from London.
 ;D

Seriously, though, the London Sand Belt is a great place to play golf.  When I got to London, I was overwhelmed by how many courses there are in the London area that feature brilliant architecture.  Basically, your choice of courses depends on how much time you have to see them.

Woking, Swinley Forest, Huntercombe (Oxfordshire, but still within the sphere of the sand belt), and Addington are all top-notch. 

I would recommend Woking more than any other heathland course for a few reasons.  First, the collection of greens at Woking is extraordinary, from the runaway first green, to the elevated bowl at the third, to the multi-tiered, cascading 12th, to the subtle but brilliant 4th and 17th.  Woking might be my favorite set of greens in the UK.  Second, Woking was a seminal course in Golden Age architecture.  The 4th hole is the ultimate strategic par four that laid the groundwork for the great strategic layouts around London.  Third, Woking is very accessible from London (25 minute train from Waterloo, five minute taxi ride to the course) and has a great twilight rate.  I played Woking twice in the late afternoon (yes, I did play 32 holes after 3:30 one time) and enjoyed immensely.  The course was empty and in great condition both times.  Woking is my top pick for the London sandbelt.

Of course, you can hardly go wrong with courses like Swinley Forest and Addington, which are, incidentally, polar opposites in terms of a full golfing experience.  After reading Ran's profile, I am kicking myself that I didn't see Sunningdale (New), so that should probably be high on the list as well.

Huntercombe is a real gem that gets no press.  It is one of the first modern golf courses, and it is a perfect example of how a course can be great without using bunkers excessively.  It changed the way I think about golf course architecture.

If you are in London, Sandwich and Deal are very convenient from Kings Cross St. Pancras.  We have several Deal members on this site, and you should be able find one to host you there if you choose.  It is a day trip (1.5 hours to get down there from St. Pancras), but it is more than worth it.  Sandwich is a little tougher, and getting to the golf course from the train station can be tough unless you are willing to make the 30 minute walk (as I did, twice).  Of course, playing the 2011 Open venue might be worth it.

In general, London is your oyster as far as golf is concerned.  There are few places in the world with a denser population of great courses. It all depends on what you are looking for, I suppose.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

kconway

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 09:00:29 AM »
Any  thoughts on including west Sussex in a London trip?

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 09:09:25 AM »
Any  thoughts on including west Sussex in a London trip?

It's very accessible from London and well worth including.  As Tony mentioned, there are so many choices it really comes down to what kind of courses you like.

In case you didn't see it, here is a tour of West Sussex from last year.
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41904.0.html

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 12:57:43 PM »
Very difficult to go wrong, there are an extraordinary number of great courses.  What you must do, is follow Scott's advice about lunch at The Berkshire and, since you'll have your jacket and tie, play 36 and have lunch at Swinley and elsewhere as well.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 01:00:50 PM »
Is there such a thing as the London Sand Belt?  I think of that term with respect to Melbourne but do not recall reading it with respect to London.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 01:04:26 PM »
Is there such a thing as the London Sand Belt?  I think of that term with respect to Melbourne but do not recall reading it with respect to London.
I think it's a reference to the heathland courses west of London but then the Deal mafia appear to have included Deal/Sandwich and even Rye hass had a mention, so I guess it has become a London based golf trip thread.  You're right, of course, since the heathland courses are not naturally sandy.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 03:02:55 PM »
Kelly - This may go without saying, but I'll say it anyway ... I have a good friend who lives in Surrey and every other year (for many years now) we play some heathland gems. Rather than try to cram in too many courses into a single visit, we really enjoy playing a round at a particular club and then enjoying the clubhouse or even the surrounding town (drink at the local pub). If the weather is good, I suspect your trip will border on surreal.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Hi Kelly  - Happy New Year. I'm late to this thread and many good ones have been mentioned already. If you are planning on two a day on different courses these pairs make sense based on proximity:

Woking and Worplesdon
New Zealand and St George's Hill

Also, the obvious:

Walton Heath Old and New
Sunningdale Old and New
Berkshire Red and Blue. When I visited, the Berkshire would not make an advance tee time for a single. All of the others did and I was first out each morning at each of these clubs.

Hankley Common was mentioned. A day trip a little farther afield (South) could be Hindhead and Liphook which don't get mentioned often but IMO are worth considering, although If you haven't played the ones above, they'd be my first choices.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 03:53:43 PM by Stewart Abramson »

JNC Lyon

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 04:39:08 PM »
Kelly - This may go without saying, but I'll say it anyway ... I have a good friend who lives in Surrey and every other year (for many years now) we play some heathland gems. Rather than try to cram in too many courses into a single visit, we really enjoy playing a round at a particular club and then enjoying the clubhouse or even the surrounding town (drink at the local pub). If the weather is good, I suspect your trip will border on surreal.

I agree.  It is good to play just a few courses on each trip, and play each course multiple times if possible.  There are several courses that I played over there (Deal, Sandwich, Addington, Prestwick, Woking) where multiple plays really helped me understand and remember the golf course.  If you are in Deal, The Kings Head is a must!
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 06:04:36 PM »
Kelly - when you coming and how long for?

I reccommend the fish starter at Swinley, buttered eggs and ham at Rye, all the desserts at Walton Heath, cheese at New Zealand and anything at Deal poured by Laura.....jeez I sounding like Scott Warren!!
Cave Nil Vino

Terry Lavin

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 06:41:37 PM »
Kelly - when you coming and how long for?

I reccommend the fish starter at Swinley, buttered eggs and ham at Rye, all the desserts at Walton Heath, cheese at New Zealand and anything at Deal poured by Laura.....jeez I sounding like Scott Warren!!

"Anything at Deal poured by Laura"

This is the last great post of 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy New Year to one and all!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 08:47:50 PM »
Oi Chaplin, I resemble that remark! Though I did enjoy a piece of treacle pudding the size of my head at The Berkshire. And I concur that anything poured by my buddy Laura is the best drink at Deal. Even Jagerbombs at 6pm!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 09:37:04 PM »
Kelly

The key questions for me to be able to answer yours:
- how long is your trip ?
- how do you plan on getting around ? (Car or Public Transport ?)

kconway

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 10:57:48 AM »
great responses all...thank you.

too many good choices to do in one trip i fear.

i think i would prefer staying in London and train back and forth each day...is this practical?

thanks again for all the advice.

happy new year

kconway

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2010, 11:12:15 AM »
shivas

going into the way back machine with the joan baez reference

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 03:07:36 PM »
Kelly,

I will offer my usual advice stay at one club each day and enjoy luncheon. The heaths include some of the finest clubs in the world loaded with history and character. Savour each one rather than sprinting to the next.

I have recommended the Hillside Hotel in Worplesdon before and never had any complaints.

If you can get an invite to Sunningdale grab it with both hands the visitor fees of around £250 are high but if you have one treat this should be it.

Hankley Common is wonderful and one of my favourites as are The Berkshire, Swinley Forest - not easy to access - and New Zealand which is very understated but a great experience.

Also listen to Scott and John about the trains, they have visited many of the best courses in the south east and let the train take the strain.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 03:10:34 PM »
If you do decide to visit the coast let me know. Sandwich maybe tough to get on with the Open due but I get privileged access to Laura's roster to assist with planning guests visits!!
Cave Nil Vino

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 01:32:44 PM »
I think it's a reference to the heathland courses west of London but then the Deal mafia appear to have included Deal/Sandwich and even Rye hass had a mention, so I guess it has become a London based golf trip thread.  You're right, of course, since the heathland courses are not naturally sandy.

Hang on a second Mark... If they aren't sandy, what are they?

Guess I refer to them as the Surrey sand belt courses almost as often as the heathland courses and despite the fact half of them are in Berkshire, Hampshire or Sussex.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back