News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Re: Your Library is on Fire....
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 04:31:05 PM »
Either Golf Course Architecture in America or The Links.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 04:40:40 PM »
I would just grab my Nook. :)

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 04:45:52 PM »

Mac

Evangelist of Golf, I see, me thinks you need to play a little bit more of the ground game as you are seeking too much from books like Confidential Guide by that youngster, still yet to get one of his courses approved for The Scottish Open. Yet we hear good things of this guy. He just needs to find that ‘land fit for purpose’ and undertake the whole design himself. ;)

Melvyn

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 04:53:21 PM »
Pfff...  No brainer for me:  GAIA
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

PThomas

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 04:59:08 PM »
Pat - i think i'd take my 1975 edition of The Story of American Golf by Herb Wind - the first great golf book i ever owned...and maybe still the greatest one
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

JC Jones

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 05:11:28 PM »
My autographed copy of The Anatomy of a Golf Course.  Tom made me promise him this summer that after he signed it I couldn't get rid of it.  I am a man of my word.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 05:49:42 PM »
I too thought it would have to be Confidential Guide because of its resale value.  I promised Doak I wouldn't sell it, but made no promises about leaving it to burn - tee hee.  If The Evangelist is worth that sort of dosh I would considee grabbing that to sell.  But if I am talking about pure enjoyment it has to be Patric Dickinson's Round of Courses.  It is comfortably the most under-rated and under-valued golf book I own.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 05:50:55 PM »

Sod the books get the sexy women out who is wearing the stockings and suspenders

See this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5_OJqUnKNA&feature=related

Hope it helps to kick start your evening games.

Melvyn

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 06:01:33 PM »
I am with Bogey! Post #4

Honorable mention to anatomy of golf, many notes and G Thomas GCofA - my first GCA BOOK.
@theflatsticker

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2010, 11:15:58 PM »
The Golf Courses of the British Isles - B Darwin

I never tire of that book

PCCraig

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 09:02:46 AM »
Interesting fact about the Evangelist of Golf. It was just this past March that there were 100 copies left as seen in this thread:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43598.0.html

And now they are $700! I should of bought more copies :) ;)
H.P.S.

JC Jones

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 10:04:45 AM »
They are only $700 if someone is willing to buy them at that price. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2010, 06:45:22 PM »
Grounds for Golf, by Geoff Shackleford.

Why?  No one has mentioned it yet.  It is also a book written by an invested fellow in his middle-mature years.  The reason I don't select the Doak phenom is that it comes relatively from his youth.  If the Guide were to come out during the years 40-50 of Doak, I would rank it first.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ian Andrew

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2010, 07:06:57 PM »
1st edition - Golf Architecture in America - Thomas - former owner was Norman Woods.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2010, 07:24:26 PM »
To be honest, it would probably be my one-off special edition of my book. Hey, it's my first book so went a little crazy on the binding.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

James Boon

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2010, 06:27:53 AM »
My library on fire!

Panic, consider suicide, worry if my insurance will cover it, then run in to get...

The World Atlas of Golf as its such a wonderfully complete book. Coffee table aesthetics combined with great essays. No wait, A Round of Golf Courses by Patric Dickinson as mentioned earlier by Sean Arble. Such a wonderful little book. No wait, too many to choose... so finally decide on Tom Doak's Anatomy... as it was a gift from a good friend and is signed by the author.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Shane Wright

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2010, 09:17:36 AM »
I would just grab my Nook. :)

Jeff, I just got the Nook.  What really good golf "nook" books are there?

Bruce Leland

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2010, 09:22:36 AM »
Speaking from experience....grab something from the lower shelves of the book case as the ones on the top shelf will be too smoke damaged to save.  The valuable books I have left are now on the low shelves of a 7' book case and enclosed in glass.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2010, 10:46:30 AM »

In fact, let’s help the fire by throwing more Golf Course Architecture books on to the fire, might concentrate the mind of some, a sort out the trees from the woods, the island Greens from ponds from crap experiences on a course to good ones.

Melvyn

Stan Dodd

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2011, 02:49:03 AM »
Melvin,
Please describe your last crap experience while playing golf.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back