News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

NAF

Van Gogh, Sand Hills and other musings
« on: February 19, 2002, 07:29:50 AM »
Last week I went over to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and wound my way over to the Van Gogh's.  When I came upon Van Gogh's landscape painting,  Wheatfields with Cypresses, I immediately thought of Sand Hills.  I am sure art critics would be aghast to compare a Master with a golf course but I believe Van Gogh would have loved that area of Nebraska.  But why Sand Hills?  There was something in the texture of his brushstrokes and the flaming color of the waving wheat that reminded me of standing on the 4th hole at SH gazing at the native prairie grasses with the ribbon of green
leading me to the hole.  I guess after reading Geoff Shackelford's the Art of Golf Design with Mike Miller's paintings I had a Max Behr moment but all I can say was it
was very inspirational.

It has been said of the Van Gogh painting (Wheatfields with Cypresses) that:

"Van Gogh's love of light and color constantly drew him outdoors and here, the landscape, the light and the people brought him a sense of happiness where he saw in
everything around him a vibrant beauty that moved him deeply. In characteristically bold brush strokes Van Gogh guides his viewer's eye with masterly skill across the
swaying harvest fields, past the grand cypresses to the distant and vibrant blue summer sky."

A link to the painting: http://www.vangoghgallery.com/painting/p_0615.htm

When I remember Sand Hills I think of the various colors of the sky there.  In the morning it is violet, in the mid summer high noon sun, it is cobalt blue and at sundown it
radiates purple/brown/orange hues which combined with shadows lends a scale in which man feels inferior to the scale and scope around him.  It is a humbling experience.  When you notice the colours of the sky in Van Gogh's landscape paintings I feel he captured what I saw at Sand Hills with all of nature's variation in the sky.  

When you look at the landscape, the prairie native grasses also seems to change color during the day from tan to rust like to dull brown and golden.  The green of the fairways could be velvet green, mint green or kermit the frog green.  Again, I think Van Gogh would have captured this naturalness into any painting he theoretically could have done of the Sand Hills.

So it goes back to all the talk we have of Art and Golf Design.  The best art replicates nature and is inspirational as does the best golf design.  I think Max Behr would have
been proud to see someone in a museum making the linkage.  

After Van Gogh I went and saw Winslow Homer's seascapes and saw Pebble Beach and Cypress Point.  Too bad the masters did not play golf but thankfully we have Mike
Miller.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

brad_miller

Re: Van Gogh, Sand Hills and other musings
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2002, 07:47:09 AM »
How few modern courses could inspire these thoughts? How many classic courses could? Thanks, Noel

Gene Greco

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2002, 05:37:42 PM »
Noel:

You have put MY thoughts and emotions into your short essay and I thank you for that. Indeed, the mesmerizing landscape of the Sand Hills is one of the most Van Goghesque of all golf courses, especially as the tall grasses wave in the ubiquitous wind. And yes, the stimuli bombard you in a different manner throughout the day as the sun makes its progression across the sky.

I believe I have found a soulmate. I am sure we will play there together  one day.

Gene
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Peter Galea

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2002, 05:47:14 PM »
Have any of the greats of the art world played golf?
Were any, members of notable clubs?
"chief sherpa"

Richard_Goodale

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2002, 06:27:58 PM »
Pete

If you expand "art" to include poetry, then you must include John Betjeman, Poet Laureate, who was a keen member of St, Enodoc's and lived very near the course.  Arthur J. Ryle, a fairly well-known minor painter and member of the Royal Academy was Captain at Dornoch for many years early last century.  Of course, if you believe GCA to be an "art" then you must include McKenzie, Thomas, MacDonald, etc.

Tom MacWood (Guest)

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2002, 06:42:49 PM »
Noel
Beautifully said. I've got to believe that all sorts of artists are/were effected by similar influences.

Pete
If you'll recall my paraents ran into Dali at Del Monte Lodge, I'm not sure if he had his sticks with him.

GeoffreyC

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2002, 06:42:50 PM »
Noel

Inspirational- I can't wait to see the Sand Hills.

Its probably been too long since I've been to the Met as well.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2002, 06:56:36 PM »
Noel,

Thanks for sharing.

I've printed out your post and will be bringing it with me when I make the pilgrimage this June.  

Damn...that was so good I feel like leaving a copy on the first tee.  Touching and insightful stuff, my friend.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2002, 07:37:19 PM »
this will be the third time I have tried to post this.

NOEL!

Great topic!

This weekend I was reading in the LA Times Calender section and came across an article on Eva Hesse. A very avante garde modern artist who specialized in works made of materials that she knew would eventually decompose.

Currently there is a show going on at the San Francisco Museum Of Modern Art, which will display a lot of her works for this one and only time. Because of their frailty, shipping these works could be best determined a disaster for the owner, and the art conscience public.

And then it occured to me that her works are much like the works of MacKenzie, Thomas, Tillinghast and Ross. Over a period of time and evolution, these same art works that I admire are changing everyday. In some cases, by committee and nature. and just like my favorite artists, she enjoyed her success at a later age in life and then died abruptly.

Because of the size of the article, I will post it on another thread, but hopefuly some of you will get out of it what I did.

Tommy_Naccarato

Part 1
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2002, 07:40:03 PM »
Fragile Work, Fragile Life
Just as she knew she hadn't long to live, Eva Hesse knew her works using unstable materials might not last. A show confronts the issue in an overview of her brief career.

By SCARLET CHENG

"Untitled," ca. 1964 by Eva Hesse.

"Life doesn't last," Eva Hesse told an interviewer toward the end of her brief life. "Art doesn't last. It doesn't matter."
     That was 1970, and Hesse was only 34 years old. She had been working as an artist for a decade and was finally beginning to hit her stride. An innovator influenced by Minimalism, Surrealism and Conceptualism, she became known for her sculpture, molding latex into drapery-like sheets and three-dimensional shapes, dipping aluminum-screen armatures into fiberglass resin, pioneering new materials and processes in a search for "non-art" art.
     Hesse had reason for her fatalism. It was part artistic stance and part unflinching personal honesty. She knew that at least some of the innovative materials she used would have a limited shelf life, but she still prized her experiments. "At this point," she told the interviewer, "I feel a little guilty about when people want to buy it.... (But) if I need (latex) ... that is more important."
     She was also seriously ill, undergoing treatment for a brain tumor.
     Within months, Hesse died. But her work, and her legacy, would live on.
     She would be lionized by women artists and feminist art historians. Her drawings and sculptures would continue to appear in galleries and museumsin the U.S. and Europe. A major 1992 retrospective at Yale University, her alma mater, would solidify her influence. And throughout the '90s, the price of her artworks would steadily rise. In 1997, the San Francisco Museum of Art would pay $2.2 million for "Untitled or Not Yet."

"Repetition Nineteen I," 1967 by Eva Hesse.

On Feb. 2, "Eva Hesse," the most comprehensive retrospective of her work yet, opened at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. Organized by Elisabeth Sussman, former curator at the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York, and Renate Petzinger, of the Museum Wiesbaden in Germany, the show includes some 150 works borrowed from more than two dozen lenders. The curators have paid particular attention to combining her early works with her late, experimental works, which proved to be a substantial challenge. As Hesse predicted, some of the later works have disintegrated; many are fragile in the extreme.
     For Sussman, however, seeing the breadth of the work is crucial to the mission of the exhibition, which is meant to yield a balanced picture of Hesse as an artist. "I wanted to look closely at work, process, evolution, (not) her anxieties, traumas, etc.," Sussman said.
     Lynn Zelevansky, head of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art's department of modern and contemporary art, is a champion of the San Francisco exhibition: It's "one of the most important shows I can imagine presenting," she says, "and probably the last opportunity to see her works in a comprehensive way. These pieces are so fragile and so highly valued that this is probably it."
     The SF MOMA exhibition fills the fourth floor of the museum, the works displayed against subdued background colors. Arranged chronologically, it opens with drawings and washes on paper. On a walk-through, Sussman points out that Helen Hesse Charash, Eva's sister, believes that two of the ink paintings are self-portraits—one could be seen as a family grouping of four (mother, father, the two sisters) and one a lone figure, with no details of face or dress.
     The works are from 1960. "It's the same time she's in psychotherapy," Sussman says, "and she's really working through her very loaded past."

Tommy_Naccarato

Part 2
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2002, 07:42:17 PM »

"Sans II," 1968 by Eva Hesse.

Born in Hamburg, Germany, in 1936, to an Orthodox Jewish family, Hesse was separated from her parents for several months when she was sent away to Holland at age 2. Her parents, seeing the Nazi threat, eventually collected their two daughters and emigrated to the United States in 1939. Six years later, her parents divorced, and a year after that, her mother committed suicide.

Sussman finds elements in the monochromatic paintings that foreshadow Hesse's later work. "These are very prophetic," she says, "because they have no color and the washes are very layered which is like the (latex) work later on and then they have these figurative elements which become very abstract."

In 1964, European arts patron F. Arnhard Scheidt offered Hesse's husband, Tom Doyle, a sculptor, a year of studio space in an old textile mill in Kettwig-am-Ruhr, Germany. Hesse went along and set up her own work space. She began a series of diagrammatic line drawings that were "hybrids of body parts and machines," as Sussman writes in her essay in the exhibition catalog. Then, apparently at Doyle's urging, she began to use industrial materials found in the building to make her first break from flat surfaces.

"There were miles of that string there," he told art historian Lucy Lippard. "The string was really what got her going."

On Dec. 4, 1964, Hesse wrote in her journal: "Started sculpture, lead wire through a huge screen. Shortage of wire forced change to plaster."

That piece is lost, but 14 other assemblages made during this breakthrough period remain they were shown at Dusseldorf Kunsthalle in August 1995 and 11 of them have been reunited for the San Francisco show.

Working on Masonite, Hesse built up surfaces with papier-mashe' and other materials, attached found objects (wires and a light socket, for example), then painted the results. Many of these works use rope or cord, which would become an enduring Hesse fascination. She sometimes glued it into rows or circles ("Ringaround Arosie," "2 in 1"), wound it around protruding rods ("Oomamaboomba") or just let it dangle ("An Ear in a Pond"). Many observers have noted sexual imagery in these works?quot;Ringaround Arosie," in which wound cord makes two circles, could be interpreted as breasts, with the "nipple" of one painted pink.

Hesse's diaries reveal her excitement about her work and her increasing unhappiness in her personal life. She resented living in Doyle's shadow, and doing double duty as artist and housekeeper, when he could focus only on his art. In January 1964, she wrote, "I cannot be so many things. I cannot be something for everyone.... Woman, beautiful, artist, wife, housekeeper, cook, saleslady all these things. I cannot even be myself, nor know what I am."

When Hesse returned to New York at the end of 1965, her marriage collapsed. Amid the upheaval, she began to make free-standing sculpture, building on the work begun in Germany. She experimented with liquid latex and fiberglass baking process and chance important elements in her work, casting or pouring the materials, or dipping things into them. This was when, wrote Michael Kimmelman of the New York Times in 1992, she began "to invent sculptures of real originality and distinction."

In November 1968, Hesse's first one-woman sculpture show, at the Fischback Gallery in New York, included pieces that would become classics in her oeuvre, including "Accession II" (a steel cube pierced with short lengths of plastic tubing), "Sans II" (a grid of box-like shapes made of membrane-like fiberglass), "Aught" (latex-coated panels) and its companion, "Augment" (sheets of latex stacked on the floor). All except the last are in the San Francisco exhibition.
      The critics were impressed but mystified. "Her works are questions rather than answers," the Village Voice wrote. "They are bundles of eccentric contradictions.... Eva Hesse is an important new artist."

Two months before the show, Hesse complained of depression and exhaustion. In April 1969, she collapsed. When a brain tumor was discovered, she had a series of operations and radiation and chemotherapy, but she continued working. In the last years of her life, her work was included in major museum shows at the Institute of Contemporary Art in Philadelphia and New York's Museum of Modern Art, and both MOMA and the Whitney purchased works.

When Sussman went to work at the Whitney in 1991, she was already aware of Hesse. A year later she saw the Yale retrospective and decided to begin her own research on the artist and create an even more comprehensive exhibition.

"I realized that they had avoided these radical (latex) pieces that she did at the end of her life," Sussman says. "These are so hard to show because they're in such bad shape. I decided that this show had to take on that issue."

Sussman later joined forces with curator Petzinger, who was planning a Hesse show for the Museum Weisbaden. After San Francisco, where it runs through May 19, the exhibition will open in Germany in June. It was scheduled to open at the Whitney in November, but after Sept. 11, the Whitney canceled because of financial problems. Instead, at the end of this year, the show will move to Tate Modern in London.

By including Hesse's lesser known pre-1965 works on paper and canvas with the more famous later works, the curators want to show the preliminaries in her rapidly evolving career. The mid-career works reveal how Hesse began to break out of the frame and, in fact, "Hang Up" (1966) literally shows just that, with a long, loopy cable distended from two parts of an oversized frame.

Many signature pieces are included. There are the translucent cylindrical shapes of "Repetition Nineteen III" as well as the series of open fiberglass boxes mounted on the wall in "Sans II"—the five sections, each six boxes wide, are joined here, although they are from four collections. SF MOMA owns one unit.

One of the most fragile works in the exhibition is "Aught," now owned by the Art Museum at UC Berkeley. "It was fortuitous that it was just across the bridge," Sussman says. "(Berkeley museum officials) knew they could watch it, that if anything started happening, we would take it down it's all written into the loan agreement." "Aught" will not travel beyond San Francisco. Each 6-foot-high piece is made of a sheet of cloth or plastic sandwiched between layers of latex. Hung from grommets in the upper corners, they were allowed to sag and fold according to gravitational pull. Today, they are in danger of cracking and breaking; to prevent tearing, back edges of the work have been reinforced.

To deal with conservation challenges such as "Aught," Sussman and SF MOMA organized a round-table talk for 21 curators, conservators and Hesse experts. Latex was the focus of much of the discussion which is excerpted in the exhibition catalog because it hardens and softens in ways that are beyond control.

"We've found out that latex is a kind of alive thing," Sussman says. "(One moment) it's in a dormant period, then all of a sudden it starts to ooze." There are other works Sussman sought unsuccessfully. A test piece for a hanging sheet of latex called "Contingent," owned by the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., was among them. Jay Krueger, National Gallery conservator, told the round table, "We said no for the reason that we felt it could not be safely packed and transported without incurring damage."

Sussman's view is that with care, the works should have a public viewing. "We were told by one latex expert that these things will deteriorate whether they're in storage or being shown so why not let everyone have a chance to see them?"

When the Whitney Museum decided at the end of last year that it didn't have the funds to bring the Hesse show to New York City, it stirred the outrage of many in the art world.

(The Whitney's) refusal to do what's necessary to bring the show to New York is an abject and utterly unforgivable failure of both museum leadership and artistic vision," says Tony Ganz, a Los Angeles film producer and collector who loaned six works to the show. His parents, Victor and Sally Ganz, began acquiring Hesse's work in the '60s. "It seems to me Eva Hesse was as great an artist as New York has ever produced." What makes him so impassioned about the work?

"The sculpture in particular contains within it this marvelous tension border and luminosity on one hand, chaos and decay on the other. She had such perfect pitch as an artist."

Hesse might have liked the sentiment. She once said, "I would try to find the most absurd opposites or extreme opposites...."
    In her art and in her life, she acknowledged contradiction and embraced change: "There isn't a rule. I don't want to keep any rules. That's why my art might be so good, because I have no fear."

"Eva Hesse," San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, 151 3rd St., San Francisco, (415) 357-4000. Through May 19.

Scarlet Cheng is a frequent contributor to Calender
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:02 PM by -1 »

NAF

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2002, 06:45:08 AM »
Gene

Hopefully we will play together this year..If you are in S.Hampton we are not so far away as I am in NYC..As per Sand Hills hopefully I will make the pilgrimage again this year.

Mike and Geoff-You guys are going to have such a fab time out in Nebraska you might not want to come home..Remind me to tell you my stories of reaching #1 in 2 shots only to watch my ball roll with the wind 50 yards down the fairway (and then I made 7!) or how I reached #18 in 2 into the wind with 2 of my best shots ever only to toe a 10ft putt downhill and downwind 50 yds down the fairway again!  The super then came and recut the hole in the back to save others from that horrible fate.

Tommy-I compare what we talked about the other night to baseball..Imagine if we took what is left of the classic ballparks and made them into the corporate/sterile places that many beautiful new ballparks have in some degree. They would lose what made them great, that essence of being.  Thanks for the Eve Hesse article..very interesting to apply to your argument.

One last thing to all, one of the best things about Sand Hills I found was sitting outside of the deck on the cottage where I stayed reading a book..I looked down at the Dismal River and I could hear the water with a clarity and peace I can't describe.  Living in NYC and all the noise takes some of those moments away from you.  Some butterflies then flew over the water..it was magical..But that is the Sand Hills...

Greg Ramsay

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2002, 09:19:49 PM »
My Grandfather was a very fine water colour painter, gaining quite a reputation around Tasmania.  I often asked him if he would consider doing some watercolours of golf course scenery, but said that the forced nature of them didn't appeal to him, and that the enclosed feeling of the image didn't lend itself to his style (Pa's cloudy skys and refective waters were his best features).  On the whole I understand what he meant, and when I first came back from working in Scotland and showed him some pictures of Machrihanish, Machrie and even Elie, he said that they were the kind of golf courses that could inspire him, not the golf courses he knew (He was a member at Royal Hobart where Jack Nicklaus won the Australian Open, built on sand only a few hundred meters from the sea, it will one day be made into a great golf course- when they stop over-watering and start cutting down some trees).

I am sure that if he were still alive, he would love to paint the scenery at Barnbougle Dunes, perhaps he's sketching the holes already with his recently found companion, Vincent Van Gogh.

That was a great thread Noel, cheers

Greg Ramsay
www.barnbougledunes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back