News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

A Little OT
« on: December 25, 2010, 11:13:09 PM »
I know this is a little off topic but there is no better place to ask this question than GCA. I need a new travel cover, I haven't flown with my clubs in years but will be this year. I know everybody says Club Glove is very good but I was wondering what you guys thought of Sun Mountain, Bag Boy, and the Mizuno covers? Also there is an older Club Glove called the International that I have seen very cheap, is this a good bag that's a little older or was it a POS and Club Glove dumped it?

Thanks.

mike_beene

Re: A Little OT
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 01:17:20 AM »
I have used a regular club glove for what seems like more than ten years probably 7 or 8 times a year and it is as good as new.I do through a dowel in that is just a little longer than my driver.I am sure others are good but I am sold on Club Glove.

Brian Stewart

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 02:11:00 AM »
Here's the opinion of someone that has traveled 45+ weeks/year for the last 15 years and has probably flown more than 1 million miles with golf clubs in that time.  I have used a Club Glove Last Bag on all but a handful of those trips and wouldn't consider anything else at this point.  They are rock solid and a great company.  I do use a "Stiff Arm" but honestly there was a long period of time where I didn't even bother and I've never had an issue.  I've been fortunate enough to play golf in more than 20 countries and the Last Bag has been with me the entire way.  You can probably go with something else and be fine but I'd recommend going with Club Glove and being sure.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 05:05:12 AM »
DEFINTELY Club Glove
@theflatsticker

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 11:59:13 AM »
Club glove is the money...worth the price of admission, as it'll last longer than your clubs...Just make sure to get the XL...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 12:17:54 PM »
Thanks guys, have any of you ever tried the International? If not what about the Burst Proof with wheels? I just don't think I need the Last Bag, I have a carry bag so it's not like I'm lugging my staff bag around.

John Blain

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 12:33:57 PM »
The Sun Mountain Club Glider is hands-down the best travel bag in the business. Nothing else can even compare.

http://www.sunmountain.com/default.php?cPath=3844_3845_3736

C. Squier

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 12:37:01 PM »
Get the Last Bag. It's big enough to stuff dirty clothes in it. I sometimes pack everything in it for a trip 3 days or less.

Spend up knowing it'll honestly be the last time you purchase a travel bag. Or don't, knowing someday you'll buy it anyway.

Sean Leary

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 12:58:03 PM »
I have had a Burst proof with wheels for years. Plenty big enough in my opinion for multiple sets of shoes plus some clothes.

mike_beene

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 10:13:31 PM »
I went upstairs and looked at mine.I use a ping hoofer carry bag and it fits along with some clothes and two shoes in this thing.It is "the original club glove".It is not the extra large size. I bet it has done Scotland 7 times,Hawaii ten times and a lot of stuff in between.It looks absolutely brand new.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 10:44:30 AM »
For a long time I had one of those SKB hard covers. Great protection for clubs, but unwieldy once you arrive at your destination. I now have a bright purple Club Glove. I've seen too many guys who travel with golf clubs for a living that use them to believe that you should use anything else (and the purple cover is distinctive enough that I'm always pretty sure that it's my clubs popping out of the luggage chute).

Tim Leahy

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 08:00:29 PM »
Club Glove-bright yellow so it's not confused with all those black ones!
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 08:32:29 PM »
Same as Tim -- XL (or whatever the biggest is)

Brad Tufts

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 08:40:18 PM »
The guys above are going to disagree with me for reasons already stated, but I swear by an SKB hard case.

I tried the club glove at one point because of the "unwieldy" thing, but during its first use, it was caught on a belt, tearing a two-foot long hole in the travel bag, and a one-foot long hole in my golf bag, which was unrepairable.  I know this is an anomaly and really bad luck, but nothing has ever happened to the hard case.  I've been through a few handles, but SKB replaces those (as well as any other part short of the two halves of the shell) for life for free.

Despite the bag fees, I only see the airlines treating our baggage/sticks worse going forward, so I'm very comfortable with the hard case despite the occasional difficulty in maneuvering it to a rental car counter...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

JR Potts

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 09:02:33 PM »
The Sun Mountain Club Glider is hands-down the best travel bag in the business. Nothing else can even compare.

http://www.sunmountain.com/default.php?cPath=3844_3845_3736

I heard it leaks in heavy rains.

Tim Bert

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 12:00:51 PM »
Burst proof with wheels here. I play with a small carry bag (sun mountain 3.5) and the burst proof provides plenty of room for the clubs, two pair of shoes, and the pockets in the bag stuffed with extra junk.  I previously owned one hard shell and one other lower cost soft shell and neither lasted long. The burst proof is very relaible and not too bulky though I do have a few puncture holes from extensive travel / handling so I'm not sure it is "burst proof."

Mike Benham

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 12:46:51 PM »

... but I swear by an SKB hard case.

Depending on where you are traveling and how you will be transported once you are there should be taken into consideration.

Traveling through Scotland in one of these cars would not have been possible with hard cases.

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back