News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Re: Penal approach shots on links courses
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 02:03:11 AM »
#7 at Rye is unusual in that the hole has lots of junk in front of the green yet plays pretty much downwind on a prevailing wind. This is reasonably uncommon on old links courses. Examples being 2, 3, 5 & 7 at RCP and 5, 7, 13 & 18 at RStG.
Cave Nil Vino

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 06:40:44 AM »
12th hole at Enniscrone, knob green on two sides and deep fescue on the other two sides:

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 08:29:46 AM »

Penal approach shots on Links Courses’ is another worthy topic by Ally, however perhaps before those who have commented had played these courses with the equipment of the day when they were opened we might get a more in-depth feeling let alone understanding of the design intent.

There are all manner of reasons not to bother but there is that precious one, which tries  to unravel the complexity of the design into 18 separate zones of your own war and peace clearly defined by one’s skill  levels but honed in by utilising the equipment of the day when the course  opened.

Melvyn

Niall C

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 08:37:19 AM »

Niall:

I agree with you in general but the question is all about the severity of the hazards around the green, as I tried to explain above.  I don't remember anything at Silloth so severe that you couldn't scramble for a bogey.

Tom

The two I mention are very, very difficult to scramble and get an up and down on. Not impossible, just very very difficult. For it to be impossible you would need to have incurred a penalty shot which goes against what Ally was originally suggesting.

The fourth hole in particular is interesting because you have deep grass bunkers (surface of green is above head height) on either side of a narrow green so the choice in most instances when trying to recover from either side is to play the long shot up or down the green which is invariably away from the hole or risk going direct across the narrow portion of the green with the chance of going off the other side. The first route is likely to result in a one shot "penalty" whereas the second could get you a par or it could easily be a double bogey or worse.

Niall  

Mark Pearce

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 09:18:40 AM »
Tom,

Like Niall, I disagree with you on Silloth.  Miss the green in regulation on 13 and bogey becomes a good score, requiring a very good recovery shot just to hold the green. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 11:00:52 AM »
Fully agree about the difficulty of Rye #7 downwind.  I've only played there once, and the wind was up and we played the front nine in a steady rain.  On #7 I tried to hit a pitch just over all the junk below and the wind knocked it down into a lie of catastrophic malevolence.  The hole would play a whole lot easier into the wind!

What a fabulous phrase.

Mark, you had to have been there!  My opponent, 2 down at the time, could only chuckle quietly, as I had a hard time just getting to the ball.   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back