News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Forgotten Chicago: Edgewater Golf Club
« on: December 22, 2010, 04:39:17 PM »
I found this very interesting write up on a NLE Bendelowgolf course here in Chicago called Edgewater Country Club. The course was home to Chick Evans in his playing peak. The story is very interesting as it shows Chicago politics at its finest :) but centered around a golf course located in the Chicago city limits.

The story:
http://forgottenchicago.com/features/chicago-areas/edgewater-golf-club/

A 1938 Aerial:

The Clubhouse:

The land today now features a short 9-hole Nugent course:
http://www.cpdgolf.com/Robert-A-Black-Golf-Course.html
H.P.S.

PThomas

Re: Forgotten Chicago: Edgewater Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 05:15:01 PM »
the aerial shot reminds me of Firestone, Pat
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 05:59:02 PM »
Hell of a clubhouse.
What does the land look like? Is there much movement?
I find the changes in bunker style through the course very interesting. I would be tempted to say that by the time this aerial was shot at least two if not three other architects had modified the greenside bunkering.
Is this an early Bendelow, maybe between 1908-15?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 02:33:39 AM »
I played there as a kid. Nothing memorial
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 08:58:55 AM »
the aerial shot reminds me of Firestone, Pat

Ha - sure doesn't have too many doglegs! ;)

I'm not sure how imorportant the golf course would be today, if at all (according to Cary). But, I still thought the article was interesting and it's always fun to see a NLE course, especially one located on a city plot.
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 09:01:52 AM »
Hell of a clubhouse.
What does the land look like? Is there much movement?
I find the changes in bunker style through the course very interesting. I would be tempted to say that by the time this aerial was shot at least two if not three other architects had modified the greenside bunkering.
Is this an early Bendelow, maybe between 1908-15?

I can't answer all of your questions about the course, but I do know that that land is probably dead flat!
H.P.S.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 09:34:58 AM »
That is not the clubhouse they built if you look at the article. It was rejected as too big and too expensive in favor of a lesser design, which is pictured in there.

The land is essentially flat. 

We had a thread on this one a month back if you want more info, but that article was interesting to me, since converting it to nine holes was my very first project in the biz in 1977.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 10:05:03 AM »
That is not the clubhouse they built if you look at the article. It was rejected as too big and too expensive in favor of a lesser design, which is pictured in there.

The land is essentially flat. 

We had a thread on this one a month back if you want more info, but that article was interesting to me, since converting it to nine holes was my very first project in the biz in 1977.

Jeff:

Were all 18 holes still there in 1977? Is there anything left from ECC's design that is still present in the current 9 hole course?
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back