News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Semi OT - DirecTV may drop The Golf Channel
« on: December 21, 2010, 07:45:14 AM »
Rumors swirling that DirecTV may dump Golf Channel because of a food fight with GC’s owner Comcast over license fees....

Details:  http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/67600

I've been a DirecTV customer since 1996, but will drop the service if they drop The Golf Channel.

Kris Shreiner

Re: Semi OT - DirecTV may drop The Golf Channel
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 08:42:54 AM »
Happy Holidays to you and the queen!

The golf channel should concentrate on improving their content, not trying to squeeze one of their main distribution points. You have to wonder about the clueless management there at gc. These Trump fests and Big Break Cat fights are certainly not winning them increased viewers, besides those of the "Jersey Shore" mentality.
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Mike_Young

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 10:09:04 AM »
Happy Holidays to you and the queen!

The golf channel should concentrate on improving their content, not trying to squeeze one of their main distribution points. You have to wonder about the clueless management there at gc. These Trump fests and Big Break Cat fights are certainly not winning them increased viewers, besides those of the "Jersey Shore" mentality.
Sorry to disappoint you but Big Break is their top revenue producer....sometimes this site forgets just how miniscule architecture freaks really are in the golf world....you can buy a big break at a resort for around $700,000 and be on the air for 5 hours a week for 12 weeks and then you get to keep the camera work and you can sell other ads etc to allied groups etc....yet you host one Nationwide with Tv for aropund $600,000 plus and people don't remember where it was a week later....management at Golf channel knows exactly what they are doing...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 10:12:36 AM »
On another note, I recall hearing that the PGA TOUR Network on Sirius/XM was not going to be renewed.  Anyone have additional info?

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 10:22:06 AM »
Obviously, the network isn't watched much in the offseason. Apparently now showing old movies that have nothing to do with golf such as Analize This and Point Break drives more viewers to the network than reruns of Trump's Wonderful World of Golf or more infomercials for the Spin Mill wedge and that training aid with Mark O Meara.
H.P.S.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 10:27:59 AM »
I was pretty surprised to turn on the Golf Channel and find Analyze This.  They ought to track down the old CBS Classic, there must have been 100 episodes of that.  We could discuss Firestone South endlessly.

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 10:43:55 AM »
Obviously everyone has their own perspectives, but I gotta say that I really do enjoy reading when Mike Young shares his.

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 10:45:40 AM »
On another note, I recall hearing that the PGA TOUR Network on Sirius/XM was not going to be renewed.  Anyone have additional info?

is there a single person anywhere who LISTENS to golf telecasts?

golf is so boring on TV sometimes...i would think that LISTENING to it while driving is a safety concern, as it may very well cause drivers to fall asleep
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 10:59:34 AM »

golf is so boring on TV sometimes...i would think that LISTENING to it while driving is a safety concern, as it may very well cause drivers to fall asleep

Paul,

Agreed.  It is brutal.  "He takes the putter back..................and through" 

I do like the Peter Kessler show however.  He has some pretty good interviews with true legends.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 11:03:47 AM »
Are they still showing the old Challenge Golf show with Palmer and Player?  They showed one match at the Valley Club of Montecito (only a few holes though and the match was a rout) and one at Los Angeles Country Club North with Nicklaus and Phil Rodgers.  I've each show on once by luck happenstance.  That and the old Shells matches are what made the early Golf Channel so cool.  Now, I hardly watch it.

PThomas

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 11:09:56 AM »

Paul,

Agreed.  It is brutal.  "He takes the putter back..................and through" 

I do like the Peter Kessler show however.  He has some pretty good interviews with true legends.

forgot about the interviews Ben, those could be okay esp with someone like Kessler.....why he doesnt get a job with CBS or NBS is bafflling, consdiering some of the (lack of ) talent on those telecasts
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Brian Stewart

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 12:11:16 PM »

Yes, I listen to the PGA Tour Network regularly both while driving and at work.  I enjoy it and you don't need to pay close attention.  I would likely drop XM if I didn't get the PGA Tour Network because that's the main thing I listen to on it.  Everything else I listen to can be found on regular radio (ESPN, FOX, etc).  If I want to listen to music I use my own so that is a non-factor for XM usage.

I'm another that would drop D* if they didn't keep the tGC.  I travel 45+ weeks/year for work and honestly don't watch much TV at all other than sports via my SlingBox so tGC makes up an extremely significant portion of my TV viewing.  If I can't get what I want in my extremely small amount of viewing the service become completely useless. 

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 01:05:40 PM »
Charlie,
You're 100% correct - it's a dispute between Comcast (who owns TGC) and DirecTV.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 03:04:56 PM »
It's all Rush Limberger's fault! :o
 No one wants to watch that fat drug addict unamerican racist take golf lessons. :P
Ray Romano was bad enough! ::)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 05:17:53 PM »
I'd strongly consider dropping DirectTV if the Golf Channel went away. I was very close to doing so when the Versus thing was going on.

I work on weekends and very late on some weekdays, so the GC nightly re-broadcasts are just about the only way I get to watch golf anymore these days. Yeah, I could do without Rush and Trump and the Big Break nonsense but I also understand that they gotta fill 24 hours, and I also understand that TGC probably caters to a demographic much to the right of where I stand politically.

I wish TGC would show more "old" stuff in general. I used to love it around US and Open time whenever you'd see those wonderful grainy films of old championships from the 60s and 70s.... white belts and plaid bell-bottom pants flickering against the droll narration of Peter Alliss or Chris Schenkel while a thick side-burned Johnny Miller or Jerry Pate hits a muscle-back 1-iron stiff.

The two sports I watch on TV the most are golf and hockey. What does DirectTV have against those?
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Joe Grasty

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 06:58:18 PM »

The PGA Tour radio will remain on Sirius XM:

http://steveelling.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6267041/26591459

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 02:00:25 AM »
IMHO the Golf Channel has been on a slippery slope ever since the Peter Kessler fiasco.  If it weren't for the early round PGA tour coverage, the occasionally interesting European, Asian or Women's event and the final round of Q school, it'd be so much infomercial drivel...

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back