News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Thaw Out January 15 & 16 in the Lowcountry
« on: December 20, 2010, 03:15:54 PM »
EDIT: Penny Branch is OUT.

I haven't played golf in over 2 months and am anxious to see a golf course without snow on it. Fortunately, a group of us are headed to the lowcountry in the new year for a quick thaw out, with room to add a few more GCAers!  We'll be on and around Hilton Head Island over the MLK weekend with planned rounds at Old South and Secession.

36 @ Old South Golf Links
Saturday, 1/15
Starting at 9:00

We're thrilled to have Golf Course Architect Clyde Johnston participating and Clyde has agreed to lead us in a post round discussion/presentation re: his Old South design over dinner and drinks in the clubhouse, along with Old South's Head Professional (and former MLB umpire!) Jim Uremovich.

Vagabond Golfer and Golf Author Extraordinaire, Joel Zuckerman is also participating and will be hosting us at Secession on Sunday.

18 @ Secession GC
Sunday, 1/16
Starting at 10:00

We can add a few more to the group, so if you're inclined to make the trip, we'd love to have you along.  

Lowcountry Trip
1. Clyde Johnston
2. Jim Uremovich (Sat.)
3. Joel Zuckerman
4. Ward Peyronnin
5. Mac Plumart
6. Mark Pritchett
7. Jason Jones
8. Anthony Gray
9. Mike Christensen
10. Brent Hutto
11. Ben Kodadek
12. Chuck Miller (Sat.)
13. Joe Fairey (Sun.)
14. Joseph Fairey (Sun.)
15. Eric Smith
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:14:37 PM by Eric Smith »

Brent Hutto

Re: Thaw Out January 15 & 16 in the Lowcountry
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 03:20:28 PM »
Isn't Penny Branch quite a ways from Hilton Head? I thought that was the course in Furman, SC unless I recall the name incorrectly. If so, rather more spartan (and considerably more accessible to the public) than Old South or Secession...

P.S. I'm pretty sure I've got the right course, that green looks familiar. Maybe somewhere about the middle of the round.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:23:59 PM by Brent Hutto »

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 03:24:53 PM »
Brent,

Penny Branch will have to be early early. All won't go I'm sure and we'll have to plan accordingly if there is a frost delay. It is an hour drive to Old South. Our tee times at Old South start at 1:00.

Come join us!

I'm thinking the Cupp Course at P Hall is the back up plan for Saturday AM.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:26:51 PM by Eric Smith »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 04:09:55 PM »
Brent,
Looks like the first long par three on the back, 15 I think, but they have changed the routing in recent years. The photo threw me for a minute, I've never seen it 'green' and neither will the guys in January as they don't overseed, although they dye the greens. PB must be movin' on up if it's in a rotation with Secession and Old South.  ;D

Penny Branch is a ways from HH, but it attracts golfers from there. I usually stop to play the course on my way back north in March and I end up meeting someone from the HH area just about every time.  I love it as it is good fun, you can play it quickly, and I really like the story attached to it.    

« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 04:18:05 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Brent Hutto

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 04:23:49 PM »
The only thing I did not enjoy overmuch about Penny Branch was the little three or four hole stretch that twists and turns through the trees. But it's overall my kind of course. Show up with your golf shoes already on and play all day with a hotdog if you get hungry. I do really like the cross bunker (1st hole maybe?)...paging Sean Arble.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 04:29:19 PM »
Is Anthony playing or wearing the jumpsuit?

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 04:31:28 PM »
Sam,

Strait Jacket.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 04:34:21 PM »
I think that's #10 now.
Has to one of the most quiet golf courses to play.

Eric Smith

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 04:34:39 PM »
Brent & Jim,

I lifted that pic from their website where it is labeled as the 11th hole.  Re: why Penny Branch? -- it popped up on Mac's radar about the same time we visited Hilton Head last winter (may have been some of your older posts Jim) and he and JC have been hounding me ever since to include it in the rota.  Don't you know that resistance is futile when it comes to those guys? ;)

I am encouraged that neither of you have said, "DON'T GO."

Sam,

I am hoping he'll be able to swing it a few times. He says he's feeling a lot better.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »
Brent & Jim,

I lifted that pic from their website where it is labeled as the 11th hole.  Re: why Penny Branch? -- it popped up on Mac's radar about the same time we visited Hilton Head last winter (may have been some of your older posts Jim) and he and JC have been hounding me ever since to include it in the rota.  Don't you know that resistance is futile when it comes to those guys? ;)

I am encouraged that neither of you have said, "DON'T GO."

Sam,

I am hoping he'll be able to swing it a few times. He says he's feeling a lot better.

He must be off the pain meds, his Facebook has been boring.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 04:39:49 PM »
I would not want my comments to be interpreted as "don't go". Just "don't expect an inland version of Secession when you get there".

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 04:50:08 PM »
Eric,
I think everyone will enjoy it, as long as y'all don't go expecting something that it's not. It's a buck-a-hole golf course, tight in places, wide open in others, low-country flat (no one brought in jillions of yards of fill to bring it up), a couple of driveable 4s, some pretty good 3s (one is on an island), medium speed dye  ;D on the winter greens, but they have some interesting putts, and a most peaceful setting.    

Mac Plumart

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 04:56:09 PM »
Dude...Penny Branch is a McKenzie in South Carolina!!! A MUST PLAY for any Mackenzie McKenzie fan!!!   :)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 04:59:51 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 05:02:39 PM »
Eric,
That photo is labeled wrong, #11 has a couple of bunkers in front and a green that's high in back, low in the front.   

Anthony Gray

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 05:03:21 PM »

Is Mike Benham in or out?

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 05:10:43 PM »

Is Mike Benham in or out?

Anthony

OUT

Eric Smith

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 07:56:07 PM »
Brent Hutto is IN !

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 08:47:18 PM »
Currently in Charleston, SC and I have to say I love it down here and I have not touched a club yet. I think JC Jones is going to challenge Johnny Mayhugh in the New Year!

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 09:22:07 PM »
A show of hands please regarding a Monday (1/17) outing in Savannah at The Landings Club, where I am happy to host.  Can't say which of the GC's we'll be playing, but it will be worthwhile, regardless of the venue.

A preliminary head count would be useful, so please advise, and Happy Holidays to all!

Eric Smith

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 09:33:06 PM »
Ben Kodadek in IN !

JC Jones

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 09:37:47 PM »
Brent Hutto is IN !

I'm going to need 6 a side.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Eric Smith

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 09:48:12 PM »
A show of hands please regarding a Monday (1/17) outing in Savannah at The Landings Club, where I am happy to host.  Can't say which of the GC's we'll be playing, but it will be worthwhile, regardless of the venue.

A preliminary head count would be useful, so please advise, and Happy Holidays to all!

Joel,

Thanks again for everything. I wasn't planning to stay til Monday, but I hope to change that. I'll know for sure after New Years.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 09:50:34 PM »
Joel...

FYI,  have to leave Sunday after our round. 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 06:51:50 AM »
Joel,

Tempting to stick around for Monday but I'll be just off a two-week holiday break and unable to avoid being at work just then.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 07:42:11 AM »
Joel,

I'm in the same camp as Eric, I'll have to wait until after the New Year to see how the schedule takes shape for Monday.

Looking forward to meeting up with you!

Ben

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back