News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Urbina

Re: The contribution of templates to land particularly suited for golf
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2010, 10:16:22 PM »
JC,

Every fairway has been touched and at least one bunker redone,  hole # 8 has had 5 bunkers done.  In regards to hole # 5, two bunkers were added by the green committee years ago and I didn't have the heart to ask them to remove them since they weren't original.  We  have added a few other bunkers including the Alps bunker running directly across the front of the 5th green and  they all seem to blend in together very nicely.  On my last visit  we worked on the Bottle hole # 4, Long #9, which you saw how we lowered the teeing ground to original grade and finally added some fairway bunkers on # 15.  I have a long standing relationship with Jim Yonce the super who is the catalyst for the way Yeamans looks and plays and two greens committee chairman who have been champions of the work that has been going on for years.  Without the support of those three I am not sure how Yeamans would have looked today.  Jim has done some of the work with his crew and has been really good.

The friends of Seth Raynor a fund raising group who funds all of the work we have done is still in place and future work will be ongoing. 

JK,   You are correct in my reference to Ross and Tillinghast.  they may have done something really good on that land.  Luckily Seth Raynor didn't tell many of the owners , I don't want to keep doing the same old thing how will history remember me if I do?

Adam,  Sometimes our expectations are the downfall of many really good golf courses and features they present us.  The first time I saw the Redan at North Berrick I said to myself, "Geez this is it, I can't even see the feature of the green.  Only after several visits did I start to appreciate the creativity.  Now I know why Macdonald was so inspired by the Redan,  he not only used it as one of his ideal holes he crafted his  version he thought  to be one better.  You could see the ball work it's magic on the green.

I really like the simple things about Yeamans Hall.  Hole # 2 and # 5 are examples of bunkers that are only 2 and 3 feet deep.  It's  not the depth in all cases that make the strategy important.  It's the intrusion to the line of play that are important to the hole and not always the deep ominous look like  the bunkers at  The National or Yale.

JC Urbina

« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2010, 01:09:39 AM »
If I may.

North Berwick

I remember Lloyd Cole  always having a problem with people spelling on this site.  So to honor him I made a correction.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2010, 04:25:03 PM »
Jim K n Pat.  I didn't have any expectations going into the day. It was only after reading the back of the scorecard. I do expect fish when I order it. Not something else. The current punchbowl at YH requires too much imagination to envision what part is bowled. As Jim Urbina has detailed, the massaging of a couple of elements are responsible for that lack of character.

Adam,

I wouldn't count on "scorecards" as being the definitive identifier/describer of holes.

All to often, scorecard names are general, vague and more than often,  a stretch, a concession to tradition the historical connections.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back