News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

I was blessed with an invitation to Fishers Island this fall and, despite a Barkleyesque collapse in my game, enjoyed a splendid day in calm weather with great friends.

The golf course features many of principal architect Seth Raynor’s favorite templates, but famously features no fairway bunkering – according to legend Raynor passed on before he could add the finishing touches to the course. One still finds plenty of challenge from the tees, especially when the wind blows (as it usually will).

Aerial Photo

A spectacular setting for the practice green adjacent to the 1st tee.

The 1st hole narrows considerably, requiring that aggressive drives stay left.

Our benevolent host silhouetted by the sunrise behind the 2nd green (Redan).

The 3rd hole is a short par 4 that requires a modest uphill carry (not so modest into a howling headwind) on the way to a skyline green.

Finding the putting surface is vital, as any shot that strays behind the 3rd green…

… or left of the 3rd green will require deft bunker play to salvage bogey.

The 4th (Punchbowl), like so many of its sisters, enjoys open sea views along its entire right side.

Up ahead, a pole marks the center of a punchbowl green further along the shore.

Sir Spaulding flaunts his golfing omnipotence on the 4th fairway.

A view of the punchbowl’s trailing edge. Raynor was not a stringent minimalist.

The thrilling 5th (Biarritz) tee shot.

Only the rear section of the 5th green complex is maintained with putting length grass. The flagstick sits just left of a subtle bisecting ridgeline.

Traversing a substantial portion of the island, the 6th fairway incorporates a thrilling section of tumbling earth. Long drives can reach the down slope pictured in the foreground.

The 6th green marks the highest point of the front nine.

Diving down to the north shore, the 7th narrows progressively, much like the 1st.

The skyline 7th green.

The 8th is a subtle rendition of The Road Hole, rewarding drives that challenge the right side with an open angle along the axis of the green.

A deep bunker sits behind the 8th green, in place of a thoroughfare.

The 9th (Double Plateau) tee plays blind over a ridge, with a large carry bunker eating well into the fairway.

Once over the crest, the 9th fairway offers another wow moment, as one takes in the panoramic views. Unlike most of the other greens, the 9th ties in tightly with the surrounding grades. Behind the putting surface, waves wash over a former bunker location.

A close look at the right/front corner of the 9th  green.

A pristine landscape adjoins the 10th tee.

The steadily rising 10th

Don’t miss the short of the 10th green.

The 11th offers more of a ‘do or die’ proposition than the original Eden hole, but makes up for some of its lack of variety in daily play with a spectacular setting.

The 12th brings golfers (momentarily) away from the shoreline.

The “reverse redan” green.

The approach to the 13th green is played over a saltwater pond to another seaside green.

Playing around a saltwater pond, the 14th represents the FI rendition of a Cape hole

The pond carry at #14.

The 14th green, more subtly constructed than most of its playmates, sitting just a smidge above its surrounds.

The 15th is a bit bland, although the false front of the green allows for some creative approaches. Perhaps a fairway bunker would help. ;)

A lovely cove neighboring the 16th tee.

The 16th hole occupies a narrow landbridge shared by the 3rd tees.

#16 from behind

The 17th, like #15, is a bit bland until one reaches the green.

The 18th tee shot must carry a small cove. Like at the 8th, drives that brave the longer carry up the right side will open up the multi-tiered green.

Von Kiser recovers successfully from the beach, sacrificing his new pants to the thorny bushes en route.

A lovely day.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 01:42:10 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Patrick Kiser

Re: Fishers Island: A Pictorial!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 09:31:51 PM »
Couldn't help yourself on that last photo.  Could you...  ;D

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

C. Squier

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 09:32:50 PM »
Wow, great pics....Fishers Island looks idyllic. 

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 09:34:45 PM »

You provide a perfect sense of scale. ;)
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 09:37:55 PM »

You provide a perfect sense of scale. ;)

Quite right...  quite right...

Fine pics El Capitan.
course architect

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 09:44:29 PM »
The golf course features many of principal architect Seth Raynor’s favorite templates, but famously features no fairway bunkering

What's that on the 9th Kyle ?  ;)

A great photo tour - how were the winds on the day ?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
The golf course features many of principal architect Seth Raynor’s favorite templates, but famously features no fairway bunkering

What's that on the 9th Kyle ?  ;)

A great photo tour - how were the winds on the day ?
A golf cart... :P

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 11:46:25 PM »
How people say this course is overrated is beyond me.  Having had the pleasure of playing it twice, I can confirm it is truly a special place.  I told my wife that if she ever can find a way back, I wouldn't mind if she threw my ashes in the Atlantic off of the 5th tee... The sad part about Fishers is that no one ever gets to see it.

I also think Hay Harbor might be the nicest, least talked about 9 holer on the East Coast.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 02:23:48 AM »
Kevin,

We had unusual and incredible weather that day.  Nay wind...  I would have preferred a little wind, because it's probably one of the course's best defenses I would guess.

The other thing is the remarkable conditions given how little water is used.  Donnie Beck and his crew had some pretty good fast and firm conditions and the greens ... unbelievable poa.  I've never putted such nice poa.  With the summer they had ... wow!

Geoffrey,

I'm by no means the expect, but I couldn't agree more.  The overall package and experience is quite fantastic.  To top if off, some very well preserved Raynor from what I could tell.  I saw a very unique Biarritz and a real Short (with the horseshoe / thumb print) to name just two holes.  The Eden was damn good and I really liked the Double Plateau as well.  There were so many good holes to experience and some really great stretches.  Not everything is perfect and there are a couple of so so holes as Kyle hints to, but come on...

For the Raynor expects out there (e.g. paging Uncle George) ... I'm curious to know if Raynor had any tendency to place his bunkers after most of the course was complete.  I understand Raynor passed away while building Fisher's and I wonder if his bunker work plans had been completed or not by that time.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:40:38 PM by Patrick Kiser »
course architect

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 10:49:55 AM »
I have not played fishers island but i love the contrast in how the course represents itself between the aerial photo and the shots taken from ground level.   

The aerial photo makes it look very average and a little repetitive.  This is due to the similar shape of the holes and the same bunkering on either side of many of the greens.  You then see the ground level shots and see such a varied set of landscapes on every hole.  I think this shows how much more great use of can contribute to great compared to elaborate bunkering schemes.  For example the sixth looks like it would give you a different shot the green every time you played it due to the infinite number of stances that exist.

I also like the fact that you seem faces with a challenge to conquer off most of tee's, and what's better this challenge is not hazard but the terrain.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 11:01:10 AM »
One of the absolutely best spots on the planet for a game.   Terrific photo tour!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
Kyle:
Great tour; thanks.  Did you go early or late fall? 

George_Bahto

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 01:32:35 PM »

Kyle: you have captured the essence of Fishers Island from ground level perfectly.

There were to be three courses on the Island. More on that later and more about  information on the Hay Harbor course

I'll let this thread develop a bit more and post some aerials and more information. Construction pictures have been uncovered recently and perhaps I should talk to Donnie Beck to see if it is ok to post one or two.

In the (yet untitled) "Seth Raynor Book" Fishers Island will be one of a few "featured courses"

If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 01:55:10 PM »
George,

I have always wondered about the history of Hay Harbor.  Any light you can shed on it would be greatly appreciated.

JC Jones

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 01:59:14 PM »

In the (yet untitled) "Seth Raynor Book" Fishers Island will be one of a few "featured courses"

He continues to tease us ;) ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

George_Bahto

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 04:58:34 PM »
Geoff: looks like an interesting story popped up a couple years ago thru the research of a fine gentleman, Pierce Rafferty, writing the Hay Harbor history. He also did the last version of the F/i history and I have been fortunate to have been invlolved with those as well as the first club histry written by Charle Ferguson.

here is a bit from the Raynor book:

"Seth Raynor, of course, built the main Fishers island course as well as designing two other courses at the time.

In 1920 there is a reference to Seth Raynor being on site but it is unclear what he actually did, if anything. The reference also tells of a display “model of a course” at the Hay Harbor Clubhouse but it is unclear if the model was of a model of something for Hay Harbor or if it was a model of the course he was designing for the big course on the other end of the island. Of course the Hay Harbor Clubhouse was the meeting place of the island.

This 1920 reference is very odd and very early for the building of the main course begin until some four years later - completed shortly after Raynor death."

If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

George_Bahto

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 05:03:33 PM »
The first "real" course was built by George Strath in 1901 - Davie Strath's brother, over a rudimentory "less-than-nine-hole course" built in 1897
   Wethered & Simpson

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 05:35:13 PM »
Kyle:
Great tour; thanks.  Did you go early or late fall? 

We played just after mid-October, less than a week after Scott Warren and company got soaked in 40mph winds... :o

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 05:38:01 PM »
Sir Bahto,

Thank you for chiming in. It was great to finally meet you (a few days before I took these photos), and I can't wait to hear more!

All,
The Fishers Island club history is very good (lots of aerials and historic photos), and it includes alternate routings and some info regarding the other planned golf courses.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 05:40:16 PM »
Ross,

You're correct about the topography. I didn't expect to see so much elevation change on such a small spit of land. Even holes that hug the shore, like #s 3, 9, and 10 feature some significant climbs from tee to green.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 01:30:21 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 01:40:47 PM »
A rendering of the proposed 2nd course at Fishers Island (with apologies for the deficient reproduction quality).

Jed Peters

Re: Fishers Island: A Pictorial!!! (2nd proposed Raynor routing added)
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 01:44:44 PM »
Ah, to be childless.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 02:17:35 PM »
Ah, to be childless.

Jed,

Mike Brady (aka JMS) didn't seem to have a problem...

course architect

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 02:28:17 PM »
Ah, to be childless.

In my defense, I may have children...

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 11:42:21 AM »
A question: Is the driving range found a mile or two up the road specifically affiliated with the Fishers Island Club?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back