News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Sponcia

Re: A loss without a search
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 03:33:34 PM »
Why do we have to build courses so that low handicappers have a greater advantage than they would at Old MacDonald for example? Are low handicappers of such fragile egos that they cannot stand coming up against a ball sprayer who finds his ball in the gunk and recovers to save the hole by two putting from 60 feet, while the low handicapper two putts from 15 feet?

Wow - Garland, that's more than your usual nonsense in just two sentences.  I won't try to convince you of anything since you couldn't answer my simple question from a recent thread (going to have to assume you knew it was an argument you couldn't win).

Actually, if you ignore the hyperbole about low handicappers, he's absolutely correct.

Just about every low handicapper I play with loves courses that beat the average guy to death with lost ball, penalty strokes and unplayable rough. God forbid that a 12 handicapper with an excellent short game should DARE to upset them on a course with opportunities to recover from my bad shots.

I've had the discussion many times and inevitably they express their admiration for courses with narrow fairways and lots of trouble to play over.  It's not a surprise, after all, courses like that only widen their sizeable advantage.

K

Ken,

Sorry to hear you play with a bunch of miserable SOB's.  I have only met a couple (and I play with a bunch of low handicaps) that have that attitude.  They usually don't play for fun, more to make money.  To each his own.  I HATE narrow fairways.  Anything under 30 yards is pretty miserable for the average guy paying the bills...however I don't mind tall(er) grass bordering 40 + yard wide fairways.  My preference would be super wide, few trees, but that can of worms is something we can talk about every day I guess?  It seems there are a number on the board that like wide fairways and lots of trees with exposed roots so they can play some miraculous near-wrist breaking recovery.  I would rather see a re-load after a 60 yard miss with a $400 custom fit R21S
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back