News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Travis Dewire

Letter from my Superintendent
« on: December 16, 2010, 11:48:47 AM »
Over the last few season's the greens at my home course have become a major issue. The greens used to be what made the course so special, tough to read with lots of breaks, lots of double breaks, and they mooooved. Fast forward to present day and the health had began to erode, and the speed began to slow down drastically, prompting us to find a new Super. Our previous Super, had been at the club since '86. Our new Super came from just down the road, and has been a great blessing. He is knowledgeable, communicates well to the members, and has begun great semi long term plans, to address the health of the turf, not just on the greens, but in the fairways, tees, and bunker faces.

His most recent e-mail, an overall review of the course, gave a very detailed, and easy-to-understand, outline of the problems our turf faces. He addresses the greens, and the fairways primarily, as well as various different aspects of our course. Here are some cut and paste sections of the e-mail, outlining the green health, and fairway health.

If anyone has any experience with these turf problems, and would like to share some insight, I would greatly appreciate it. It was very difficult maintaining a positive attitude the past few years, due to our greens. They were terrible. It was painful to see the course suffer so greatly from where it once was. The greens have really started to turn with our new Super, but he has made it clear, there is no overnight cure for our greens, it will take time for them to regain their health.

Let me know what you think!

Greens:  Fortunately, there was a considerable amount of information about the physical attributes of the soil from analyses performed annually since 2006.  Soil provides the foundation for the health of the greens and its characteristics dictate the nature of the cultural practices that need to be employed.  When not properly managed, the performance of the soil eventually degrades, resulting in an adverse effect to the turf to the point of collapse, which is the situation that we were confronted with last year.

To create the optimal base for healthy greens turf, the soil must have a well-defined composition of sand, silt, clay and organic matter in the regions into which grass roots penetrate (i.e., the root zone).  The importance of a correct particle size distribution in the soil cannot be understated because it creates the pores and channels through which air and water penetrate the root zone.  Simply stated, the soil in the root zone of our greens contained too much organic matter from decomposing grass (i.e., thatch), too much fine particulate matter (i.e., silt and clay), and not enough sand with a sufficiently large particle size.  Consequently, the soil became excessively compacted, with pores that were too small to enable water to effectively percolate through it and to allow enough air to penetrate into the root zone.  This essentially created a situation where the turf was being drowned and suffocated at the same time.

To correct these problems, we implemented an aggressive aerification program that will modify the soil profile by removing thatch and incorporating a higher percentage of sand.  The major components and time course of this program are as follows.  Core aerification in May using a large tine (i.e., 1/2-5/8 inch diameter) to a depth of 3-4 inches, followed by top-dressing to fill the holes with sand, seeding, and fertilizing.  This is typically a two day process with a healing time of about 10-14 days.  In August, the greens will be aggressively dethatched using a process know as verti-cutting, followed by applying seed, topdressing and fertilizer.  The recovery time for this procedure is only about 1 week and it will be postponed or even cancelled if the prevailing temperature is too high.  Finally, in the mid to late fall, the Drill & Fill procedure is performed followed by a Verti-drain aerification.  The Drill & Fill promotes overall drainage of the greens by removing soil to a depth of one foot and directly filling the hole with sand.  The Verti-drain creates deep, small-diameter holes in the greens without removing soil and the holes are not filled.  It helps to prepare the greens for winterization by allowing surface water to drain from the green surface into the holes, preventing ice from forming in water puddles.  This procedure helped our greens escape much of the damage experienced by many area clubs this past spring, even those that covered their greens with tarps.  This program has been extremely effective, resulting in a dramatic improvement in the overall condition of the greens during the course of the season, and it will be continued for the next three to five years.

The poor soil profile is also largely responsible for the difficulties experienced in achieving a desirable green speed during the past several years.  The soil held water very tightly, making it extremely difficult for the greens to properly drain.  It is a common misunderstanding that height of cut is the major factor that controls green speed, when in fact it is moisture.  Speed is never an issue on greens that drain well and become sufficiently dry.  The speed of the greens will remain between 9 and 10 on the Stimpmeter until the soil profile in the root zone has been modified with enough sand to change the water holding characteristics. Rolling greens that are too moist is not beneficial. The desired increase in speed and consistency will not be achieved and the increased compaction from rolling on a continuous basis will exacerbate the existing lack of oxygen, resulting in a quick decline in health and potentially collapse of a green.  This is precisely the situation that existed last season.

After studying the reports about the physical properties of the soil, one thing became obvious: there was no information on the nutritional analysis of the greens soil.  During my interview process, I took the liberty of taking some soil samples and sending them for chemical analysis.  Several significant problems stood out in the results and corrective measures were immediately implemented upon beginning my tenure last fall.  In particular, there were severe deficiencies in several elements that are critical for turf health coupled with elevated levels of salts that were detrimental to turf health.  These nutritional imbalances were largely responsible for the tendency of the grass on the greens to lay-over and grow laterally during the past several seasons.  Although it will take several seasons to fully correct all of the existing nutritional problems, the benefits of the corrective program became evident this season, evidenced by elimination of the lateral growth.  Improving the available nutrients introduced in the soil has been a major factor contributing to the improvement in the greens this season.

Fairways: The fairways are also in need of serious attention during the next several seasons.  A two-inch layer of dense thatch has accumulated throughout the fairways, to the point of prohibiting the growth of healthy turf, as a consequence of many years of inadequate cultivation practices. Turf growing in the presence of excessive hatch does not tolerate high temperatures and dry conditions very well, as we saw this summer, and it is very susceptible to a host of pathogens, both disease and insects.  Beginning this summer, an aggressive thatch removal program was started that needs to be followed for several years to correct this problem.  In addition, as mentioned above for the greens, the nutritional status of the fairway soil also needs to be corrected.

Craig Disher

Re: Letter from my Superintendent
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:05:18 PM »
Travis,
I am nowhere near being an expert on these things but one issue that I think is incredibly important, on both greens and fairways, is the amount of sunlight available each day.  Since your superintendent didn't mention tree cover, I assume that all the greens have good morning sun and ample sunshine the rest of the day. Air movement is also important. At my home course we recently rebuilt all 18 greens to USGA standards. One green continues to have problems - it is sloped in a north-facing direction and has a line of trees on its NW side which shuts off the prevailing breeze. It also has some slight morning shadows which keep the green moist until mid-morning. Our superintendent has worked mightily to repair the green with aerification and top dressing but the green has been slow to respond. Unfortunately, taking out the necessary trees comes up against strong membership opposition.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 12:06:35 PM »
All I can say is this.....your previous Super did not sudeenly become a dummy and forget all he ever knew about giving you greens that "mooooved"

What is your club doing to change the "culture" that led to the decisions he made in his final years?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 12:09:35 PM »
What is the demographic of your club because this letter, being only a cut and paste portion, seems too long for comfort.  I know anytime I try to discuss Superintendent correspondence with fellow members I can't find anyone who reads the damn things.

As unhappy as you seem do you believe the greens were between 9 and 10 last year?

What happened to your old super who was with the club for over 20 years?  Is he still in the business?

Have you bought fans yet?

Bill Hyde

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 12:16:55 PM »
We experienced the same issues at my club. We were faced with a decision to either take the course your super has taken or blow up and re-build our greens. We chose the latter. It was a very expensive project and has taken our course out of play from July '10-June '11. There were several members who were in favor of aggressive aerification, but I have to say I was not among them. We had been spoiled by some of the best greens conditions I have ever seen for many years and the decline was swift and dramatic due to many of the same causes your super has explained. I just was not patient enough to suffer through the constant aerification and topdressing program - and a slim majority of the membership agreed. We bundled in a tee project and a lot of tree removal as well, the results look great. Hopefully the end result will help our membership heal as well!! Good luck with the alternative plan, I think it is a totally viable option but you are looking at several years or more to achieve good results.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 01:13:55 PM »
I read his statement also as quite worrying and as I was reading kept thinking the club might be better rebuilding the greens. Not cheap though. The soil exchange programme to remove the excessive thatch might need double/triple passes each time with the hollow tiner and as soon as its recovered you almost need to do it again to make a quick impact. I think you need 12-15 corings and refilings before you start to make real progress, its still only half doing the job though and there is no nice answer.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 01:56:30 PM »
the club might be better rebuilding the greens.

I would be more concerned about losing the contour of the greens. Granted the top dressing will have an impact but I doubt near the impact made by coring out like is done for a USGA green. The only other option might be what I think is termed the "TDI" drainage method...or you can always hire another superintendent after you tie up the arms of this one then blame everything on him!
Kelly - You could map the greens before at 2 metre centres (takes about a 2 hours per green) in fact I think all clubs should do this just so they have everything on record.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

SL_Solow

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 02:01:14 PM »
Kelly, similar to problems we had.  Not an indictment of the old super, some of these things accumulate over time and bad weather exacerbates them.  we started on the drill and fill routine but as noted it takes a long time.  Our membership wasn't that patient but a number of us had the same issue with loss of contour from a total rebuild.  Our solution?  Install XGD to help drainage.  Continue drill and fill to add sand.  Next August we will do another round of drill and fill after the usual rounds of aerification.  Then we will gas the greens and regrass with a newer hybrid.  We beleieve this combination will give us a better growing medium, better drainage and introduce grass which will be more deeply rooted.  But we have to spend the money and we will lose the end of summer, all of this fall and most of next spring if all goes well.

Travis Dewire

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 05:16:27 PM »
One comment was particularly troubling about the high levels of salt found through the testing. What was, or is, the source of this element?

Not sure to be honest. But it was great to hear this I think. Everyone kept telling me about the thatch build up but i knew it had to be a combination of things. Could just be a lot of salt in the water from the winter months...not sure if that is possible

Travis Dewire

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 05:19:38 PM »
the club might be better rebuilding the greens.

I would be more concerned about losing the contour of the greens. Granted the top dressing will have an impact but I doubt near the impact made by coring out like is done for a USGA green. The only other option might be what I think is termed the "TDI" drainage method...or you can always hire another superintendent after you tie up the arms of this one then blame everything on him!

Can't rebuild the great. For this exact reasons. Greens hosted the Open in '19 and Am in '28, only a few were touched again by Silva in '85(ish). Keeping the greens is option number one IMO

Travis Dewire

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 05:27:56 PM »
What is the demographic of your club because this letter, being only a cut and paste portion, seems too long for comfort.  I know anytime I try to discuss Superintendent correspondence with fellow members I can't find anyone who reads the damn things.

As unhappy as you seem do you believe the greens were between 9 and 10 last year?

What happened to your old super who was with the club for over 20 years?  Is he still in the business?

Have you bought fans yet?

Not sure where he is now. I didn't get a chance to play the course during the summer, I first played it in early September. This however was a tournament round, 18 in the morning and afternoon, and they recut and rerolled them between rounds. They rolled great played awesome, but still weren't past an 11. They weren't scary, you didn't have to respect them like you should. Do you know what I mean? Yeah not too many people like to talk about this stuff, but there is a large contingent of quality players at the club who all take great interest in the course's condition. But for the record, the greens were much better after he has begun working on them. They are much healthier, and you can really feel that the work is progressing forward, nicely. I do realize that this will be a long process, but I'm faithful our Supt. will really get us through this smoothly. I think he really is impressing everyone. And come on, he lays it out there pretty easy to read for the members, if they care to learn.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 05:36:13 PM »
One comment was particularly troubling about the high levels of salt found through the testing. What was, or is, the source of this element?

Kelly hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable will chip in but I believe "salts" is the catch all name for residue from fertilisers.  They can mean high levels of some nutrients whille not allowing the take up of others. Poor drainage means they can't be leached out.
Let's make GCA grate again!

SL_Solow

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 05:56:55 PM »
Re salt, it could be road salt washed in throughout the winter.  However it is best to have your retention pond or well tested.  If the issue id there, sometimes chemical treatment is the answer.  Also, make sure that the tests for salinity are made in numerous places on each green.  Variances can be significant and you don't want to overreact.  Finally, as you have just about exhausted this layman's knowledge, the little handheld testers are ok for initial readings but have the soil analyzed in a lab if you are thinking about doing anything drastic.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 07:29:26 PM »
We are fighting high sodium (salts) levels in our soils, as we speak. We irrigate with reclaim water that isn’t the best for the turfgrass, but it's better than having to worry about water restrictions.
  We did not receive the typical, Florida summer rains, thus our turf never really got the all-important "flush" of salts. High sodium levels can "lock up" the beneficial nutrients that a plant need. There are products on the market to help create a flush, thus washing the plant clean.
  You know how grass looks the day after a heavy storm? Plush, vibrant green? Part of that is the flushing of salts. Certain fertilizers contain high levels of sodium, thus only add to the problem.

Travis-Sounds like your Supt has a soild plan in place. If in doubt, topdress and sand, repeat....
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Greg Chambers

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 07:33:41 PM »
Road salt washed in throughout the winter?  Never heard of such a thing.  In the letter he says "salts" not salt.  Meaning a buildup of fertilizer in the soil profile, not necessarily a sodium issue, but I'm guessing as I haven't seen the reports myself.  This is a common issue with fine soil pushups.  Sounds to me like additional aerifications and subsequent flushings throughout the season would be beneficial.  I wouldn't say that re-doing the greens would be the best way to go.  They will get better given time and the proper cultivation/fertilization practices.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »
Kelly, similar to problems we had.  Not an indictment of the old super, some of these things accumulate over time and bad weather exacerbates them.  we started on the drill and fill routine but as noted it takes a long time.  Our membership wasn't that patient but a number of us had the same issue with loss of contour from a total rebuild.  Our solution?  Install XGD to help drainage.  Continue drill and fill to add sand.  Next August we will do another round of drill and fill after the usual rounds of aerification.  Then we will gas the greens and regrass with a newer hybrid.  We beleieve this combination will give us a better growing medium, better drainage and introduce grass which will be more deeply rooted.  But we have to spend the money and we will lose the end of summer, all of this fall and most of next spring if all goes well.

Shelly,

Do you think this program was a success if the end result is that you are still going to gas the greens and take them out of play for months?  If you had known that at the beginning would you have gone through all the intermediate hassle?

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 07:46:30 PM »
The salts are coming from irrigation water.
Its a nice letter.
Basically, deal with the thatch and get on a fertility plan.
New guy usually gets to deal with the thatch issues because the old guy wasn't allowed to.
Do not agree with the part about taking several seasons to get nutrient balance correct.
More money is wasted in golf trying to change the characteristics of the soil then any other fertility issue.
Whatever you do is temporary, and you'll always be fighting bad soil if your trying to make it into "good" soil.
Get some air into the ground, keep it on the dry side, and feed the plant in a way that doesn't require complex soil reactions to free up food.
Lastly, this idea of making the soil "perfect" for grass doesn't always result in good golf turf.
Ask a farmer if he wants to grow his crops in sand and he'll look at you like your crazy. Poverty soils often result in the best golf surface, if you know how to manage them. 

Travis Dewire

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 08:10:18 PM »
Course is Brae Burn, in West Newton, MA

Here is the problem with our irrigation pond on hole #7
Irrigation Pond:  The pond on the 7th hole of the Championship course has become contaminated with Milfoil.  We have entered into a contract with a company that has expertise in controlling Milfoil and algae blooms, with the goal of improving the water quality and aesthetics for the 2011 golf season.

Ben Sims

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 08:25:17 PM »
Its a nice letter.
Basically, deal with the thatch and get on a fertility plan.
New guy usually gets to deal with the thatch issues because the old guy wasn't allowed to.
Do not agree with the part about taking several seasons to get nutrient balance correct.
More money is wasted in golf trying to change the characteristics of the soil then any other fertility issue.
Whatever you do is temporary, and you'll always be fighting bad soil if your trying to make it into "good" soil.
Get some air into the ground, keep it on the dry side, and feed the plant in a way that doesn't require complex soil reactions to free up food.
Lastly, this idea of making the soil "perfect" for grass doesn't always result in good golf turf.
Ask a farmer if he wants to grow his crops in sand and he'll look at you like your crazy. Poverty soils often result in the best golf surface, if you know how to manage them. 

When I think of Don, I think of a football coach running his players through water breaks, watching them heave and puke on the sideline, and screaming at them mercilessly.  Except his players are all little Bermuda shoots wondering what they ever did to deserve the treatment.  All the while they are cohering and jelling into a hardened, veteran, sward of a playing surface.

Sorry, it's just a visual I get from time to time.

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 08:49:34 PM »
Travis:

I didn't read all this that carefully, and I'm certainly no brain-trust on agronomy, but I wonder if the PH on your greens got out of whack? A few years ago one of the significant courses around here started to really struggle with their greens for a few years, they got a new super and it seems very quickly he recognized a big PH problem and he turned things around very quickly.

archie_struthers

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 10:30:16 PM »
 ;D 8) ;D

My experiences haniging around some great great supers for many years and always peppering them with questions till they cried LOL.....tell me Ben is on to it ...get air into the ground ...keep them dry and do what you can to increase the fertility, amending the soils takes time and is painstaking , but it's brings results over time

Dry them out and let them breathe is always good advice

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 10:40:33 PM »

You fired your 24 year superintendent after the worst weather season in the North East with bad water in the worst golf economic climate in 50 years.
Peace + Happiness.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

TEPaul

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 11:00:31 PM »
Travis:

Here's one solution, albeit a radical one. We should all just give up our golf courses all over the world and just send the game of golf and its agronomy back to the natural coastal linklands of Scotland where it all began naturally and where only bent (agrostis) and fescue (festuca) could survive and were naturally occuring in those remarkably acidic Scottish coastal/linksland sward soils.

This might upset a ton of people all over the world but at least it would probably make Melvyn Hunter Morrow ecstatically happy, for what that's worth! 

Travis Dewire

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 11:14:17 PM »

You fired your 24 year superintendent after the worst weather season in the North East with bad water in the worst golf economic climate in 50 years.
Peace + Happiness.

He was let go near the close of the '09 season, not '10. Not sure if that is the season you are refering to as the worst. But in addition, the course had begun to struggle for years, prior to his termination. Again, this didn't happen over night. The greens were neglected, it had been showing for seasons. Other areas of the course had declined, again not overnight, but over the course of many seasons. This is one of the most esteemed clubs outside of Boston, we need a Supt doing his job year in and year out, and our old Supt was not performing. This was the culmination of poor performances, not a sole one.

The economic climate? How do you know what impact the economy has had on my club? And how does that have any affect our on decision to hire a new Supt?

Your negativity severely contradicts your manta of peace and happiness

Travis Dewire

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 11:16:47 PM »
Travis:

Here's one solution, albeit a radical one. We should all just give up our golf courses all over the world and just send the game of golf and its agronomy back to the natural coastal linklands of Scotland where it all began naturally and where only bent (agrostis) and fescue (festuca) could survive and were naturally occuring in those remarkably acidic Scottish coastal/linksland sward soils.

This might upset a ton of people all over the world but at least it would probably make Melvyn Hunter Morrow ecstatically happy, for what that's worth! 

I like that idea! The less is better! Would make us better golfers too, IMO

Not sure on the ph levels. This was the first I had heard of the build up of salts, or other minerals, blocking the turf from getting needed air and healthy minerals. It makes a lot of sense, though

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back