News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Re: Top 5 Top 100 courses you want to play again
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 04:07:21 PM »
Ben...I don't take your post as "pooh poohing" this thread.  In fact, I'll challenge you to come up with some interesting courses and some interesting reasons why you chose those courses using what ever Top 100 list you want.  I find it cool that Prairie Dunes has come up so much on this thread, especially after a recent round of golf where people were raving about the course.

I agree with you that certain ones are "no brainers", but maybe there are some ones that aren't the tipity top of the Top 100 that you might want to play forever.  For instance, I didn't list Sand Hills.  I'd love to play it a million times...but I chose others to highlight something a little off the radar. 

If you've got some like that you'd like to share...I'd love to hear'em.

To your point about a nonTop 100 list you'd like to play again...I agree, I bumped that thread right before I made this thread.

To your point about this being an excercise in futility, I disagree.  Like I said, Prairie Dunes has skyrocketed up my list of courses I need to see/study.  But I will certainly respect your opinion if you choose not to participate.  In fact, there are many threads on this site that I don't care for...I simply choose not to read them or post on them. To each, their own.

God Bless...be safe, Ben.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Richard Choi

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 04:29:59 PM »
Mac, if that is the case, why don't you just ask people to highlight something off the radar?

If it is a top 100 course and you don't want to play it again, then it does not belong on the list.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 04:44:47 PM »
Top 100 courses I'd want to play again?

All of 'em!

Pick the top 5?

Too hard to differentiate.  Can I just say "all of 'em?"

Mac Plumart

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 04:48:36 PM »
Richard...

You've got a whole 'nother thread there;    "If it is a top 100 course and you don't want to play it again, then it does not belong on the list."   :)

To your other point, I didn't want to lead anyone anywhere.  I just wanted to see what came up.  I am happy with the thread so far as I've learned a few things, but I can understand why some people don't like list threads...and I totally respect that.  

But maybe what is more intersesting than what was listed, is what wasn't listed.  

Ian Andrew

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 04:57:06 PM »
Kingston Heath

A walk will do!

I played 36 and walked 18 the day before with Clayts and Mark

I blew it .... I remember less from that round than anywhere else I played.
What a lost opportunity ...

Robert Emmons

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 06:00:16 PM »
Jasper park
Highland Links
Bandon Dunes
Los Angeles CC
Merion

That would be fun....RHE

Dave McCollum

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 07:14:29 PM »
Somewhat facetiously:
St. Andrews—Old
St. Andrews—Old
St. Andrews—Old
St. Andrews—Old
St. Andrews—Old

More so than any other I’ve played, I had the feeling that my scores actually would get worse the better I knew the track.  Ignorance was bliss my first crack at her.  Alas, five more times might not be enough.  I’m thinking the ideal number might be closer to a dozen.

To answer the question from my modest collection, but with no clue what is actually a top 100:
Dornoch
TOC
Rock Creek
Pac Dunes
Old Mac   

mike_malone

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
 ;D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:32:39 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Matt Bosela

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 11:52:04 PM »
Like the esteemed Mr. McBride, my stock answer would be "all of them" but in reality, there is only one ranked course that I *need* to play again and that would be Ballyneal.

It was uncharacteristically wet and cold when I played this year so balls weren't coming off slopes or running like they would under their normal firm and fast conditions.  I relish the thought of seeing my wedge approach to the upper right tier on #8 spin back toward the hole or even spin back to the middle tier instead of sticking in the fringe through the green.  There were a number of similar shots throughout our time at the club where you could easily imagine how the shot normally would turn out but the rough conditions due to weather threw things off just a touch.

I very much look forward to experiencing the true Ballyneal at some point in the future.

Paul Jones

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2010, 12:17:36 AM »
Mac, if that is the case, why don't you just ask people to highlight something off the radar?

If it is a top 100 course and you don't want to play it again, then it does not belong on the list.

I do not want to play Oakmont again - way too hard and I am a 3 handicap.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2010, 10:39:47 AM »

To quote John Cleese in "Life of Brian" - BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Stone Him!!

What on earth is "too hard" for a 3 Handicap?!  I would sacrifice certain body parts for the ability to be a consistent 3 handicap.  With a 3, you can go to any Golf Course in the World and know that you will be facing the challenge from the COURSE, not from your SWING.

The one reason I may understand finding a course too challenging is when there is a steady stream of lost ball opportunities and gimmickry.  Oakmont certainly wouldn't fit that description.  Is it really just the ego-bruising effect of the greens keeping you from making a "score?" 

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2010, 11:05:21 AM »
1)  Oakmont -  Proof that a course doesn't need water and penalty strokes to be difficult.  For all its nasty reputation, I was pleasantly surprised to find the course to be fair & playable.

2)  Bethpage Black -  See #1, with a little more elevation change and a little less 3-putts.

3)  Pete Dye Golf Club -  I discovered many of the course's subtleties only after several hours of post-round reflection. Would love another chance to use that knowledge.

4)  Kinloch -  Would love another shot without being saturated from 105 degree heat and a tired swing.  Repeated the phrase "I know I could pull that off" a few too many times and want to prove myself right.

5)  Whistling Straits -  I regret that I spent too much time in my first round taking photos and video, rather than just soaking up the atmosphere.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2010, 11:36:36 AM »
Royal Dornoch
North Berwick
Garden City
The Ocean Course
Swinley Forest

Interesting, I feel this list does not go in order of courses I like the most.  Rather, I think it speaks to how much I missed on each of these courses on the first time through.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Mac Plumart

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2010, 05:10:03 PM »
Paul...

Much appreciated.  I've played a few courses in the Top 100 as well that I really am not all that excited to go back to as well.  Although I haven't played Oakmont, I am skeptical that it would be my cup of tea given my shaky and erratic 9.2 index.  Great post/point.  Thanks,  even if you are a Blasphemer.   :)

jeffwarne

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2010, 06:29:44 PM »

What on earth is "too hard" for a 3 Handicap?!  I would sacrifice certain body parts for the ability to be a consistent 3 handicap.  With a 3, you can go to any Golf Course in the World and know that you will be facing the challenge from the COURSE, not from your SWING.

If you don't think a 3 can struggle with his swing well.......
only it's worse because they're expected to play well and giving everyone else shots
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Paul Jones

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2010, 09:09:28 PM »

The one reason I may understand finding a course too challenging is when there is a steady stream of lost ball opportunities and gimmickry.  Oakmont certainly wouldn't fit that description.  Is it really just the ego-bruising effect of the greens keeping you from making a "score?" 

Yes  :)
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2010, 10:01:22 PM »
1. Royal Dornoch - When my 2 boys are old enough to appreciate the joys of the course and the town

2. Shinnecock Hills - To me it is the complete package

3. RMGC West - played there saturday for first time in 6 months and although I have played hundresd of rounds there I fall more in love with it everytime I play there

4. bandon - all courses - I have been there twice for 6 days total and it rained for 95% of the time - I would love to play it in half reasonable conditions

5. Morfontaine - as close to ehaven on earth - such a peaceful wonderful place - felt like a child opening christmas presents

Sam Morrow

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
The one I want to play the most is Praire Dunes. I played it once in college, the problem was that I had driven all night and drank most of the Jim Beam and Hot Damn in Oklahoma and Kansas. Also as a snot nosed 18 year old rich kid I didn't understand or appreciate what I was getting into. This has always been a regret of mine that I've wanted to rectify.

Brian Freeman

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2010, 11:57:27 PM »
Royal Dornoch (if I could only play one course for the rest of my life, this is the one)
Cruden Bay (most beautiful setting of all the Scottish links)
North Berwick (now that I know where to hit it)
Royal Aberdeen (to see what it's like with <30mph wind)
Carnoustie (an amazing test of golf, as great of a challenge as there is anywhere)

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2010, 12:27:50 AM »
Augusta National
Cypress Point
The Old Course
Prairie Dunes
Royal County Down

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2010, 10:10:42 AM »
Lahinch
SFGC
Shinnecock
Cypress Point
NGLA

Shane Wright

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2010, 10:22:28 AM »
Tough to decide Mac

Royal Dornoch
Royal County Down
Sand Hills/Ballyneal - Can't choose
Pacific Dunes
Waterville

Jim Franklin

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2010, 03:04:40 PM »
1. Victoria National
2. Shinnecock
3. NGLA
4. Cypress Point
5. Seminole (I must be missing something so I need to see again)
Mr Hurricane

Tom_Doak

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2010, 04:32:25 PM »
There are very few top 100 courses which I really wouldn't want to play again.  But, listing a top five would probably have more to do with where I haven't been back lately, than with the merits of the  individual courses.  It has been a long, long time since I played Rye or Sunningdale or Oakland Hills, but that doesn't make them more special than the others which I HAVE made the effort to play again.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2010, 04:37:20 PM »
Like the esteemed Mr. McBride, my stock answer would be "all of them" but in reality, there is only one ranked course that I *need* to play again and that would be Ballyneal.

It was uncharacteristically wet and cold when I played this year so balls weren't coming off slopes or running like they would under their normal firm and fast conditions.  I relish the thought of seeing my wedge approach to the upper right tier on #8 spin back toward the hole or even spin back to the middle tier instead of sticking in the fringe through the green.  There were a number of similar shots throughout our time at the club where you could easily imagine how the shot normally would turn out but the rough conditions due to weather threw things off just a touch.

I very much look forward to experiencing the true Ballyneal at some point in the future.

Matt,

I've never heard "spin the ball back" and "Ballyneal" used in the same sentence before!  It must have been very soft when you were there last year as balls don't "spin back" at Ballyneal.  Rather they make a thud and bound forward. 

I do agree though that you missed out on what Ballyneal is all about if you encountered the wet weather in early summer.  It was a mess around here for much of late May and early June.  Hopefully you will get a return trip sometime.

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back