News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Top 5 Top 100 courses you want to play again
« on: December 12, 2010, 06:32:23 PM »
To go with the Top 5 non-Top 100 courses you want to play again, I got to thinking about the Top 100 courses I want to hit again.

#1--The Golf Club...For a guy with Ohio roots, I really don't think it gets any better than this.  Throw in that I am a raving Pete Dye fan, and The Golf Club's got me.

#2--Pinehurst #2...I totally loved it this past summer and now that C&C are re-working some of it, I can not wait to get back out there.  I've got a feeling it is going to be freakin' amazing!!!  http://www.pinehurst.com/no2update.php

#3--Ballyneal...This might sound goofy.  But I am unsure if a day has gone by that I haven't thought about either hole 7, 8, or 12.  I could go into great detail describing my escapades on those holes...two were pretty good, one (#12) was such a wild ride I can't wait to make triple bogey on that thing again!!!   :D

#4--Harbour Town...what an amazing journey!  Truly unique experience for me.  I've never seen a course quite like it, perhaps some of you might describe it as "the best course of its kind" but I mean it in a good way.  

#5--Holston Hills...Maybe it isn't super mind blowingly great, but I really enjoyed it.  Such a pleasant walk.  Fun holes.  Playable, but interesting greens.  Very nice course.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 08:22:17 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Sean_A

Re: Top 5 Top 100 courses you want to play again
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 06:49:23 PM »
All of these must be on a top 100 list somewhere.  Woking is too easy to pop down for a game so I won't include it.  

St Enodoc - perhaps my favourite course I have seen to date
Lahinch - I haven't seen the "new" Lahinch
Ennsicrone - a beautiful spot with a great mix of holes
North Berwick - nuf said
Rye - Great, great design near a cool town

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:50:50 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Paul Jones

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 07:09:22 PM »
Cypress Point
National Golf Links
Shinnecock
Fishers Island
Sand Hills
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

archie_struthers

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 07:37:44 PM »
 :P :P :P

Show offs   :-* :-* ;D :-*

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 07:47:38 PM »
It ain't shown off...it can actually be some pretty good information...especially if some reasons why are added.

I suppose we could go with "Top 5 Top 100 courses you never want go back to" and put some reasons why...that would be good information as well, but I'd be afraid of the reaction to that type of thread that would breakout on this site.  So, I like the more positive spin on the idea.

What are yours Archie? 

Kevin Cahoon

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 08:01:20 PM »
Prairie Dunes             Everytime I have played it has presented a superb challenge
Muirfield                   Big boy golf I find compelling
Olympia Fields North   It's a love hate relationship
Shoreacres                My first introduction to Raynor
Loch Lomond            Home of the Cahoon clan and fun golf

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 08:05:17 PM »
5 courses I would like to see again and why:

- TOC (hopefully with my son and daughter one day)
- North Berwick (probably the most fun I have ever had on a golf course)
- Royal Dornoch (nothing like playing secluded golf at 10PM)
- Sand Hills / Ballyneal (inland links golf)
- Cypress Point (surely is heaven on earth?)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 08:06:36 PM »
Sand Hills
Cypress Point
LACC North
Prairie Dunes
Pacific Dunes
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Larry Gavrich

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 08:08:53 PM »
Pine Valley
Kapalua Plantation
Sunningdale
Augusta National
Fishers Island

J_ Crisham

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 08:14:58 PM »
My want to return list is:  Merion, Crystal Downs, Shinny, Cal Club, and lastly Lancaster- the 3rd best course in Philly area- it's that good! I think it gets overlooked because it is out in the sticks. Wouldn't mind a day at Gulph Mills with TEP and Dave Miller again-priceless!
                                                                   Jack

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 08:54:34 PM »
Pinehurst #2-Can't wait to see what C&C can uncover there.

Wentworth East-Hacked my way around the East with a lefty rental set looking longingly over at the West where we couldn't secure a last minute slot.  Now I realize the East is probably more my cup of tea and I'd love to see it again.  I also realize that lefty rental sets are to be avoided at all costs!

Prestwick- Just love to have another crack at the old gal in a similar 20 mph breeze...

Pac Dunes- Played 4 blissful rounds there last time and finally conquered 6 and 11 early the last morning when the wind was down.  Next July baby!

St. Andrews Old- With my son on a college investigation tour! and this time I'm not gonna miss the Himalayas....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 09:03:53 PM »
Portsalon
Pennard
St. Enodoc
Portnoo
Perranporth (it's in my top 100)

That's a lot of P's
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim Jackson

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 09:13:48 PM »
1.  CPC - like any great novel: plots, subplots, character development, and an epic climactic finish
2.  SH - is there greater flow to a course anywhere?  such a coherent thought and brilliant use of a fine piece of land
3.  TOC - I think I was too young, or had a few too many pints the night before, to enjoy it.  Probably both.
4.  Crooked Stick - such an amazing club, demanding such touch and shotmaking.   Great challenge!   
5.  Spyglass Hill - I just didn't get all its acclaim (after the opening stretch) - I hope to dig into the middle and latter holes again

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 10:04:57 PM »
Royal County Down
Lahinch
TOC
TOC with hickory and gutty (to really get a feel for the ground game there)
The Machrie

Great thread.  Years ago I would have probably been really interested in making a list of courses I wanted to see and then checking them off, but I have found that playing a truly great course does not satisfy my desire to play that course.  It only feeds it. 

Mac Plumart

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 10:11:51 PM »
Wade...

You hit on a big reason why I wanted to get this discussion going.  What are those courses you want to play again and again...and why.  You say playing these great courses doesn't satisfy your desire to play them, it only feeds it.  I totally agree with that!!

I am happy I got to play The Golf Club, but I want to play it every single time I go to Ohio.  Just as soon as C&C are done with #2, I am making a run back to Pinehurst. 

And that is just the point.  What courses could capitvate a golfers interest forever? 

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 11:31:32 PM »
Pine Valley - The ultimate challenge and variety of design for my taste
Cypress Point - Most gorgeous place I've ever been
Merion - To further digest how a course could be that good on that tight of acreage
NGLA - Pure fun on classic holes
Oakmont - To take on the challenge of the fastest greens I've ever faced

David Scaletti

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 11:56:09 PM »
Mac…

There’s a number of courses I could play again and again. That’s not to say they are necessarily the best, but they all make it to the top 100 worldwide.  Not in any particular order:

Royal St George’s:  Watching Greg Norman win The Open here in 1993 on TV in no way prepared me for the majesty that is Royal St George’s.

Merion:  One of the great places to play, but I’m not saying anything that everyone here doesn’t know. I once wrote in a book “I don’t usually assign a gender to a golf course, but to me, Merion has an unmistakable aura of femininity. All subtle curves, inimitable style, elegance and grace, it’s the Audrey Hepburn of golf courses. Beautiful to photograph and beguiling to play.” And that about sums up my memories of Merion.

Pebble Beach:  Wonderful setting, and fun to walk in the footsteps of the legends of golf.  Worth the effort just to play the 7th and 8th holes.

Royal Melbourne West:  Less than 45 minutes drive from home, and always gets the nerves jumping when a game is imminent. So many fantastic holes within a suburban location, yet the world rarely encroaches on the game.

Kawana Fuji:  It’s a wildly contoured piece of ground that hosts the Kawana Fuji golf course. Put simply, there’s an abundance of fun shots to be played on what is a beautiful setting for a golf course.

Whether or not these courses are regarded as the best can be debated, although I doubt I would get too many arguments about their merits, but I could happily return again and again to any one of them. There are probably quite a few other great links courses that I am tempted to include from Great Britain and Ireland, but when the criteria is playing again and again I am reluctant to add places where I am probably going to consistently have to battle inclement weather. I’m not a “fair weather” golfer by most standards, but I wouldn’t be interested in playing repeatedly in wind and rain as I often did on the links courses. You’ll have to cut me some slack for not wishing to do that day in, day out.

archie_struthers

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 12:05:15 AM »
 ;D :o 8)

Portrush ,  Sand Hills,   Royal County Down ,  Shinnecock  (way cool)   and  all the other Irish Courses

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 05:26:51 AM »
What Judge Lavin said!

C. Squier

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 08:31:09 AM »
While I'd obviously love to revist any of the top 10 ('cept ANGC, where just A visit would do!), these all have good reason for a revisit:

1.  Garden City GC - Played in just over 2 hours on foot due to hurricane coming up the coast. Within 3 mins of finishing, all hell broke loose.  Can't say I had the chance to soak it all in...pun intended. 

2.  Riviera - Terribly slow round and mix up before the round....wasn't the smoothest experience ever.  Still, a favorite of mine.

3.  Maidstone - Didn't see half of it due to fog.  I'm told that half is pretty good!

4.  MPCC - Though the stand in host was great, I missed playing w/ GCA legend Sir Bob Huntley. 

5.  St. Louis CC - Had the worst flu in probably 20 years while playing it.  Hit my tee ball on 17 to about 6 feet and proceeded to just limp over to 18 and let someone else scrape in my 2 putt.  And in a supreme act of stupidity, drove over to Old Warson to cap off a 36 hole day.  But between walking all 36 and tossing cookies, I did probably lose 10 lbs!

Ash Towe

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 02:11:05 PM »
St Andrews Old. Need many more plays to really get it.
Muirfield. Great routing and 18 really good holes.
Cypress Point. The best meeting of land and sea.  The same group and weather would be ideal.
Sand Hills.  Great routing and a unique place to play.
Royal Melbourne West.  So many great holes in a suburban setting but you would not really know.

Ben Sims

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 02:38:50 PM »
Mac,

From which list?  Or are we only allowed courses that are consensus Top 100 from the Big 3 rankings?  Top 100 world or Top 100 international?  Modern or Classic?   

I don't mean to pooh pooh your question, but it just seems like an exercise in futility.  It's easy for many on this website to sit down and hammer out some prose about Cypress, Sand Hills, Pine Valley, The National, and other luminaries.  No sane person would ever NOT want to revisit these places.   

I think a more telling question would be, "which course NOT in the top 100 of ANY list would you want to visit again before a course in the Top 10 of those lists." 

I'll start. 

Wolf Point.

Harris Nepon

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 02:45:35 PM »
1. Oakmont
2. Ballyneal
3. Ballyneal
4. Ballyneal
5. Ballyneal

Sorry, haven't played a lot of them on the list, and I think Ballyneal is heavan on earth.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 02:53:03 PM »

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 02:54:14 PM »
LACC – Can’t wait to see the “new” North Course
SFGC – Played like poop the last time… would like to play it again.
Prairie Dunes – It’s been far too long since the last time, and I’d like to see some of the recent tweaks
Merion – (East) Simply my favorite course
Olympia Fields – After playing the South in the AM, I was a little too gassed for the North in the afternoon.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back