News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RSLivingston_III

Architecture documentation pre-1900
« on: December 11, 2010, 05:57:47 PM »
Besides Hutchinson, who do we have talking about the subject? Names of publications would be helpful.
I should qualify this, but will leave it open ended.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 05:59:27 PM by RSLivingston_III »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

TEPaul

Re: Architecture documentation pre-1900
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 06:25:10 PM »
RS:

I'm not sure when he (Low) first started talking or writing about architecture but Bob Crosby has been doing some really good research and writing on John Low and it is fascinating.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 06:35:29 PM »
Thank you Mr. Paul, I had forgotten about Low. Now that you mention it I will have to find his book and have a look around and see whats there. Seems I recall he made mention of the earlier eras and should have had first hand knowledge of those last few decades.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tom MacWood

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 06:36:52 PM »
Ralph
American or British?

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 06:43:02 PM »
Ralph
American or British?

Either.
Although I think we both know the Americans won't have much to add.
       Our Fearless Leader

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 06:47:08 PM »
Vardon Invasion provides a good look at what US courses looked like on his first US tour which I think was around 1900.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 06:53:59 PM »
The best information I have found comes from Golf Illustrated, which I believe was originally called Golf. It began some time around 1890. The major newspapers are a good source too: The Times, The Scotsman, Manchester Guardian, etc. The Golf Book of East Lothian is a fantastic book, very detailed information on the courses of that region.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 07:12:26 PM »
Thanks guys. Tom thanks for the lead on E. Lothian book. I had my hands on one once but they are rather expensive, if you can even find one.
FYI, I am hoping to find something on the 1860s, 70s, & 80s. Even earlier would be good to.
       Our Fearless Leader

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 07:20:39 PM »
Ralph - not what you're likely looking for, and a bit of a slow slog in terms of individual searches, but the Library of Congress has a 'digital archive' of many 'historic newspapers' in the U.S. that goes back into the 1840s and up to 1920s.  Suprisingly good search engine and print quality:

http://www.loc.gov/index.html

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 08:03:54 PM »
Ralph - not what you're likely looking for, and a bit of a slow slog in terms of individual searches, but the Library of Congress has a 'digital archive' of many 'historic newspapers' in the U.S. that goes back into the 1840s and up to 1920s.  Suprisingly good search engine and print quality:

http://www.loc.gov/index.html

Thanks. Added that to my search references. I am sure some good things could come from them.
       Our Fearless Leader

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 04:20:38 AM »
Thanks guys. Tom thanks for the lead on E. Lothian book. I had my hands on one once but they are rather expensive, if you can even find one.
FYI, I am hoping to find something on the 1860s, 70s, & 80s. Even earlier would be good to.

Ralph

There was a late 90s reprint readily available and a more recent paperback also available.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 10:15:39 AM »
Ralph

Willie Park's book from 1896 has a section on layout/design, on how to design and build bunkers etc. Maybe basic by todays standards but good insight as to what they were doing then. Otherwise the early golf journals are useful but often I think its the later journals which write about times gone by which give us more insight in the way they compare and contrast. Can't think of any particular articles off hand but I'm sure I have some somewhere.

Niall

BCrosby

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 11:09:55 AM »
Ralph -

Fred Hawtree's book Aspects of Golf Course Architecture (1889 - 1924) reproduces a number of essays on gca written before 1900. That book is probably your easiest and best starting point. The earlier stuff is all by British commentators. There was, however, much more written on golf design in British periodicals in the 1890's not included in Hawtree's book.

Bob   

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 03:48:29 PM »
Niall,
thanks, I have a friend that owns most of the Park books and has the one you are describing. Have to borrow that one.

Mr. Crosby,
I think I need to kick myself in my own ass on that one as I own it. It was out of place and I had forgotten it, so thanks for the reminder. Pulling it out for some reading tonight. I suspect I know why he started with 1889 and not any earlier.

Our Fearless Leader

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 05:13:56 PM »
Tom,
Found a pdf download of the Golf Book of East Lothian.
Now I understand why that book, when available, is four figures. GREAT info.
It's worth it just for the North Berwick history. And then to realize we are still playing a couple of the original six holes holes from the feather ball era...
       Our Fearless Leader

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Architecture documentation pre-1900 New
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 05:31:51 PM »
Ralph,
Mind sharing the pdf. location for the East Lothian book? Sounds like a great read.

Thanks in advance.

edit: found it, thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 06:02:15 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back