News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

The Meadow Club: A Pictorial!!! (All 18 holes posted)
« on: December 07, 2010, 06:34:35 PM »
There have been several threads covering The Good Doctor’s first American golf course design at The Meadow Club and Mike DeVries’ recent restoration work on this forum, but I didn’t think anyone would mind having another look.

Enjoy.

A fairway bunker is found beside the landing zone of the reachable par 5 1st.

The first green feeds towards the right/front corner. As such, aggressive approaches that find this left/front bunker should subsequently be played towards the fringe left of this day’s pin location.

The 2nd hole is a lengthy downhill par 4. The bunker in the foreground is 50 yards short of the green and quite visually deceptive for those facing long approaches. Note the 5th green to the left.

Climbing back up alongside the 2nd, the par 4 3rd hole culminates at a thrilling, multi-tiered green.

This view is from the par 4 4th tee, from where players should hit over the left edge of the 3rd green toward the peak of Mount Tamalpais.

Though hardly in play today, this carry bunker short of the 4th fairway is set to ensnare topped haskells.

A medium length par 3 played from a small hill down to the valley floor, the 5th is primarily guarded by a trio of fronting bunkers (the left of which is pictured), along with single trap and framing mounds (!) at the rear.

While playing the 6th, golfers will encounter a number of the Meadow Club’s recurring themes: a flat fairway artificially narrowed by tree plantings, a large green tilted towards the line of play, and bunkers guarding each of the green’s corners. The sentinel boulders behind the 6th green also serve as the back drop on #12 and sit on a ridge used fro the 7th, 13th, and 16th tees (a bit like the prominent dune behind the 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 11th greens at Cypress Point).

Once entirely piped underground, much of this creek has been unearthed within the 7th fairway to endanger shots that challenge the left-turning dogleg. Up ahead, a back-to-front green with corner bunkers.

At the par 3 8th, players face a slightly downhill shot to a large green open on the left side.

The par 4 9th holes plays back to the clubhouse. Past the bunkers, the right side of the fairway is boxed in by planted redwoods.

The par 4 10th squeezes between redwoods on the right (the same trees from #9) and a driving range on the left on its way to another large green tilted from back-to-front and surrounded by 4 round, shaggy bunkers.

The par 3 11th allows for two styles of approach: 1) Throw a high dart 2) Bounce one in off the right-hand hillock.

The par 4 12th is fairly bland from the tee but features a neat little green complex at the foot of “refreshment hill.” This day’s hole location tempts players to aim for the down slope just behind the front bunker.

The side view of refreshment hill en route to #13.

A reachable par 5, the 13th plays down hill from the tee. Whereas it used to be contiguous with the 6th and 15th holes (running in the opposite direction) aside from scattered bunkers, tree plantings now separate the meadow into three distinct corridors.

At the end of the center corridor, the 13th green rises a bit above the meadow floor. Those trying for the green in two should favor the left side.

Another bunker study at the 13th.

The par 3 14th plays downhill over an “irrigation reservoir” to another large green tilted from back-to-front. This photo was taken at around 3:30pm in mid-November, a testament to the early post-equinox sunsets in the meadow. Thankfully, the unseasonably warm weather (mid-80s!) kept us comfortable, if a bit squinty.

Another short par 5, the 15th features a thrilling tee shot, asking players to draw one around the corner to avoid bunkers on the outside of the dogleg. I pushed my tee shot and ended up past the right side trees, leaving me with an open shot and a superb lie in the 13th fairway, albeit from some distance to the target green.

A closer look at the bunkers separating the 13th and 15th.

A well-struck drive brings the green within range for the second shot.

Looking back from behind the 15th green (scroll right to see flag).

The 16th, a drivable par 4 that takes players from the south side of refreshment hill to a well-trapped, multi-tiered and elevated green that slopes from left-to-right.

The par 4 17th gradually widens past the starboard hill and finishes at yet another large green sloping from back-to-front with corner bunkers. Even from the tee, a small lower tier is visible at the very front of the green.

A short, downhill par 4 closes the round at #18, with a creek running along the right side of the fairway before diving under ground 65 yards short of the green.

A view from behind the final green.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 06:51:44 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Patrick Kiser

Re: The Meadow Club: A Pictorial!!! (Front 9 posted)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 07:17:56 PM »
Nice pics El Capitan!

I thought DeVries and his crew did a pretty nice job on that 3rd green.  I thought it was MacKenzie, before I heard about Mike's work on that one.

Would like to know what other greens were redone.

Particularly liked 1-4.  That's a pretty good start there.

I know the 7th gets attention, but the green left me wanting a little.

Pretty good course and the membership should be happy I would think.  Of course, tree management is ongoing I believe and that's a good thing from what I could tell. 

Unfortunately, missed Sean that day.  Rain check perhaps...
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 07:51:02 PM »
Kyle

Absolutely fantastic pictures.  Your photos of late have been outstanding.  Thanks for posting.

I played Meadow Club this summer with the club historian and talked with Sean as well.  What a great day.  Meadow is a very special place.  A place I would love to be a member.  Playing there everyday must be heaven!

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 08:04:03 PM »
I'm curious to know how the routing changed over time and if the range had any impact on that.  Hopefully Sean can elaborate.

Another thing I found interesting is how MacKenzie's bunkers are so different from his following courses in California.  The pics pretty much show how the bunkers look like.  Very consistent in look and feel throughout the course.  Compare that to say his next job at Cal Club or even Pasa.  Night and day.

Also, I was not aware of the central theme around the boulders.  Not unlike CPC.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:31:01 AM by Patrick Kiser »
course architect

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 08:39:07 PM »
Patrick, the Valley Club and, from what I hear, Royal Melbourne, both have prominent hills around which the routing revolves. Both Meadow and Valley have refreshment stands and restrooms on those hills, it's a great feature.

James Bennett

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 10:33:53 PM »
Bill

If Valley Club has a hill, then Royal Melbourne has a venerable mountain.

I heard a story last month, which could be just a story .....  Apparently some of the members thought the top of the MASSIVE dune at Black Rock (Royal Melbourne's new property in the 1920's) was an ideal site for a clubhouse, looking down on all of the surrounds.  The good Doctor advised that he wanted all of the good holes to go in and out of this massive feature, and that the clubhouse could go down on the flat ground (about where it is today).  And, that he wasn't designing a course where the clubhouse took this valuable golfing land.

The good Doctor got his way.  So the story goes....

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 10:43:09 PM »
James, there are actually two hills at Valley Club, about 150 yards apart. I'd say it's about 50' to the top of each. The 3rd green, 4th tee, 8th tee and 11th tee are in and on the first hill, and it influences #7 and #10. The 8th green and 9th tee are on the second hill which influences #10.  These two hills are really the focal points of the routing across Sheffield Rd.

I'd love to see the "mountain" at Royal Melbourne!

James Bennett

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 11:05:41 PM »
Bill

I know the two hills at Valley Club - it is beautifully done.

Valley Club is a church (a great church, pristine as well), Royal Melbourne is a cathedral.

We are only a few hours away, please visit soon.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 12:32:34 AM »
I'm curious to know how the routing changed over time and if the range had any impact on that.  Hopefully Sean can elaborate.

Another thing I found interesting is how MacKenzie's bunkers are so different from his following courses in California.  The pics pretty much show how the bunkers look like.  Very consistent in look and feel throughout the course.  Comapre that to say his next job at Cal Club or even Pasa.  Night and day.

Also, I was not aware of the central theme around the boulders.  Not unlike CPC.

Patrick,

The routing is intact from the beginning, although the 10th, 12th, and 18th holes all had more room to the left of them before the range really started to affect them.  The 10th is the most impacted, as the left side actually had 2-3 bunkers on a diagonal that corresponded with the old creek that ran through the range area -- this gave the 10th a much more doglegged aspect to it, with a drive challenging the left side or going over the bunkers lined up for the opening approach, especially if the pin was on the right side of the green.

The bunkers are different than any others that I have seen of MacKenzie's work, but we kept a very faithful approach to them, based on opening day pictures of the course.

The intersection of the course multiple times at the Oasis around the big rock is just how brilliant MacKenzie was in routing his courses to take advantage of the natural features of a site.  A nice example of the routing brilliance of Valley across the road, where the two small hills impact so many of the holes, and in different ways.

Cheers,
Mike

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 01:23:41 AM »
There are few more serene and beautiful courses on earth. This has to be one of the best Members courses on earth. My hats off to the whole team at the Meadow Club.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 10:09:56 AM »
Even if they are true to the original work, I don't understand the fur-collared bunkers. 

Please enlighten me.  Thanks.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 10:19:04 AM »
Bill

I know the two hills at Valley Club - it is beautifully done.

Valley Club is a church (a great church, pristine as well), Royal Melbourne is a cathedral.

We are only a few hours away, please visit soon.

James B

Only a few??   ;D

Jim Eder

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 10:29:40 AM »
Thanks for the great photos. Such a wonderful place and course. I understand all the concerns about the bunkers but personally I love them. The routing, it is just all so good. If I was forced to play one course the rest of my life and this one was it, I would truly be very fortunate. 

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 10:45:40 AM »
Nice pics El Capitan!

I thought DeVries and his crew did a pretty nice job on that 3rd green.  I thought it was MacKenzie, before I heard about Mike's work on that one.

Pretty good course and the membership should be happy I would think.  Of course, tree management is ongoing I believe and that's a good thing from what I could tell. 

Mike,

Could you elaborate on the 3rd green? I too was under the impression this was a Mackenzie green, and thought it the best of the lot.

I agree with a few other comments, that the bunkers had a bit of a repetitive appearance, lacking the individuality you see at Pasatiempo and Cypress Point. But, at the end of the day, strategic location of bunkers are paramount, with aesthetics a secondary concern. Not that the bunkers at Meadow Club are unattractive, just a little too similar.

Meadow Club is a fantastic course, and peaceful place. Would love to see a few of those trees come down, especially between #6 & #13. When I played, the 6th fairway was quite damp after recent rain, and the fairway was covered in shadows, not ideal conditions for healthy turf.

TK

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 10:52:22 AM »
Nice pics El Capitan!

Mike,

Could you elaborate on the 3rd green? I too was under the impression this was a Mackenzie green, and thought it the best of the lot.

I agree with a few other comments, that the bunkers had a bit of a repetitive appearance, lacking the individuality you see at Pasatiempo and Cypress Point. But, at the end of the day, strategic location of bunkers are paramount, with aesthetics a secondary concern. Not that the bunkers at Meadow Club are unattractive, just a little too similar.

Meadow Club is a fantastic course, and peaceful place. Would love to see a few of those trees come down, especially between #6 & #13. When I played, the 6th fairway was quite damp after recent rain, and the fairway was covered in shadows, not ideal conditions for healthy turf.

TK

Tyler, I agree completely about the trees between 6 and 13.  Can you imagine a wide open, wall to wall fairway from the creek to the right of #6 all the way to the hillside to the left of #15?  Wowza!!   Take 'em down!

Mike Benham

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 01:20:14 AM »

This has to be one of the best Members courses on earth.

Except for the quantity of members ...

I recall Jonathon McCord (former Asst Pro) commenting that there were numerous classes of memberships, many with different limitations when the member could play.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 10:47:47 AM »
No one has commented on Jim O'Neal director of golf at Meadow Club. He is of the Ballyneal  O'Neal's. Two wonderful golf courses in that family. I have always heard extremely nice things about Jim from everyone. 

A few trees less between 6 and 13 .  Great members club. Played Mayacama and Meadow club one weekend and have no real interest in going back to Mayacama.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 11:22:55 AM »
No one has commented on Jim O'Neal director of golf at Meadow Club. He is of the Ballyneal  O'Neal's. Two wonderful golf courses in that family. I have always heard extremely nice things about Jim from everyone. 

A few trees less between 6 and 13 .  Great members club. Played Mayacama and Meadow club one weekend and have no real interest in going back to Mayacama.

Brad, I know Jim pretty well. He is a great guy and I don't think I could say enough good things about him. We even converted his son to Hurling when they came over to Ireland this summer.

I love going back to the Meadow Club to play, it's always a pleasure and they have done some great work. There's also a great bunch of members up there as well.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 01:00:17 PM »
Jim was nothing short of kind and approachable when I first reached out to him years ago while in transit between S. FL and SF.  Back then ... Bally was just getting started and when I reached out to Rupert to see if a visit was possible during a visit to Denver, I told Rupert how I was moving back to SF and he mentioned Jim.  I gave Jim a call and he was really nice to me.  Unfortunately, I never made it out there to Meadow Club until recently and Jim was out that day playing a tournament I believe.

Anyway, I was hoping to see Jim this time around because I had a message from Rupert for him: he's got nothin' on him  ;D .

Those two must go at it often ribbing each other over who's top dog...

course architect

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 02:23:19 PM »
Nice pics El Capitan!

Mike,

TK

The third green at Meadow is the only non-original MacKenzie green, so thank you for the compliments.  The original third was a very severe green and the only photo of it from back a long time is looking back down towards the tee, with a very narrow and limited perspective of the green itself.  From what I was told, it was originally either a 2- or 3-tiered green, maybe as severe as the 16th at Pasatiempo.  In the 50’s, due to its severity, the members changed it, creating a single plane of putting green, with about 2/3’s of the green a false front that the ball just would not stay on.  Compounding the single pitch of the green was the worst soil on the property for any green – during the winter rains, the water from the hillside beyond the green would seep underground and create a putting surface that would actually float like jelly when you walked across it.  I experienced this myself and saw the green just roll up and down like a wave of finely maintained turf – freaky stuff!  The solution I built eliminates 2 feet of the 7 feet of total fall from back to front through the use of the false front.  The rest is divided up into front plateau, high back right plateau (behind a bunker, with a kicker bank on the right), the middle valley with a small shelf, and the most challenging part – the left side with a subtle mound that can turn balls left or right with a small error.  The mound has been a topic of discussion and/or dissension among some members but I think that has quieted down now and people like it.

The bunkers are true to their original style, which is different than any other MacKenzie bunkers.  The “nibs” at the tops of the bunker faces can get a little repetitive when you see them from certain angles and over-analyze them from pictures but the bunkers themselves fit in to the terrain very well and are consistent with a unique style that I think should be preserved, even if Valley’s or Pasatiempo’s are more dramatic.  

Trees are the most controversial topic at any project, new or existing.  The original course had 1 or 2 trees on the Oasis rock in the middle, with nothing on the golf course.  The course was basically one height of cut across the landscape, bisected by the Bon Tempe creek and bunkers, allowing the player to find his own best route to complete the hole.  With the amount of current play, that is not practical today, but continuing tree management will assess trees and the benefits of removal for turf quality and playability.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 03:11:43 PM »
Mike,

What a surprise, the membership changes a green citing it's severity, only to approve the construction of a new green in which only the back 1/3 can support hole locations!!

TK

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 06:46:04 PM »
All photos are now included in the original post. Thanks to everyone who has commented, especially Von Kiser (yhanks for joining me out there) and Mr. DeVries.

Brown-nosing aside, the 3rd green was my favorite on the course. Kudos.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Patrick Kiser

Re: The Meadow Club: A Pictorial!!! (All 18 holes posted)
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 07:00:08 PM »
Anytime El Capitan  ;D

All,

I'm a little surprised we don't hear more about this par 5 15th.  That's a pretty decent par 5 there.  Risk/reward with the creeping hill from the left to gain an advantage to the left more or pay the price.  Option short right for the guy not interested.  Tickle the bunkers if you dare and advance with a decent angle in.

Then the approach is quite tricky.  Pin placements left or right and don't go short.  Some recovery bunkers around the green in case you make a mess of things.

Pretty good in my book.

course architect

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 08:27:05 PM »
All photos are now included in the original post. Thanks to everyone who has commented, especially Von Kiser (yhanks for joining me out there) and Mr. DeVries.

Kyle, that 3rd green is super, but I think the green that looks benign but can be terrifying is the 5th.   :o :o  There is a big hump in the green that isn't all that obvious............until your lag putt is suddenly 15' past the hole.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 02:44:24 PM »

Kyle, that 3rd green is super, but I think the green that looks benign but can be terrifying is the 5th.   :o :o  There is a big hump in the green that isn't all that obvious............until your lag putt is suddenly 15' past the hole.

The 1st green could also provide some testing lag putts. :o

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back