News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Shimp

The Links in NYC
« on: December 05, 2010, 07:25:46 PM »
What role if any has/does The Links club play in golf and architecture specifically?  I know little about the place other than CB Macdonalds early involvement which made me wonder about the clubs potential to have been involved in early architecture or rule making. Is there any of that in it's history?

Mike Sweeney

Re: The Links in NYC
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 08:28:02 PM »
John

Here is the best overview that I have seen. "Top 100" tends to overplay things in many of his reviews, but that certainly makes it a more interesting. Along with The Union Club on Park Avenue, they are two of the "quietest" and formal clubs in NYC.

http://top100golf.blogspot.com/2006/11/links-club.html

Same as many traditional golf clubs, it will be interesting to see how things change in a "Facebook" world. (Watching 60 Minutes as I type.)  ;) The Links is registered as a Golfing Club (aka without real estate) with The Met, but my impression is that the club exist today more and more as a formal business luncheon club than a golfing club.

It is a very cool place to visit, has a great library, and has its great portrait of CB.

George_Bahto

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 09:33:50 PM »
The Links (downtown) club, aside from being the typical downtown men’s club) was the clubhouse for the Links golf course in North Hills Long Island. Macdonald purchased two townhouses in Manhattan, joined them together to make the wonderful 4-story building there now.

Macdonald and his friends founded the Links Club to be “a convenient, comfortable, convivial meeting place when business and social commitments kept them off the golf course.”

Originally it was planned to have a roof-top driving range. I don’t think it was ever built.

Golfers used it as a dressing room etc before going out to the course some 20+ miles away

I was invited to give a Macdonald “presentation”- one of the first I had ever done - at the club - I was scared s - - t - less. There must have been 70 or more people there. All went well but I was nervous.

I gave the presentation right under the famous “Macdonald & Caddy” portrait by Gari Melchers.   

There is an interesting story attached to that portrait. There is a lot of artwork adorning the walls of the club and nearly all of it is quite subdued in intensity and color. In Scotland’s Gift there is a copy of the painting and it is colored in greens and browns -not very pretty.

A number of years ago I came across a print of thea painting and to my surprise the colors were vivid and had a blue sky and all - I was really surprised.

Anyhow at one point the downtown club put the painting on the wall and it just jumped out of the room because of the vivid colors.

I was told they actually took the painting down, dabbed it with coffee to subdue the colors an rehung it.

Under the fireplace mantel there a single "Delft" tile with the single golfing figure used as the Links Club logo. The NGLA log is tow of the figures.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Simon Holt

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 06:40:07 AM »
I have always wanted to visit this place.  Apparently they have the original painting of the first green at North Berwick that adorns the scorecard of the same.  At one time, when sold at auction, the painting was the most expensive golfing picture ever sold.  It features many dignitary's of the day.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 08:06:22 AM »
When someone asks a question like John Shimp did on this thread I'm never sure if they're referring to the old Links Golf Club in Long Island or the Links Club in Manhattan or both.

Obviously they were essentially one and the same club in the beginning but in later years it was pretty hard to tell. There certainly was a connection in later years but apparently not like there had been in the beginning when it was founded by Macdonald and a number of the very same people he was connected to with other clubs and golf clubs he was involved with on Long Island----eg NGLA, Piping, Lido and The Creek.

My father belonged to The Links Golf Club probably from the 1950s until it was sold and went out of existence, probably in the late 1980s or so. But the Links Club in Manhattan most certainly still exists.

And there always was a clubhouse at The Links Golf Club on Long Island even though it was just a rather small old Long Island farmhouse with a barn nearby. The members mostly used it only on Sundays (they had an unbelievable Sunday lunch). You could go in it on other days and perhaps get the memorable old caretaker, Bert, to give you something to eat and he sure could give you something to drink.  ;D The pro shop, if you could call it that, was actually in the barn.

In those days, from the 1950s until it went out of existence two men were believed to basically run and pay for the operating expenses of the Links Golf Club, Mr. Whitney and Mr. Paley, although that was a bit more of a story than actual fact.

My father would play the Links Club occassionally and always with the same people----Knott, Grant and Choate. One summer me and another friend of mine from Boston, Dan Bacon, used it numerous times through out one summer. There was generally almost no one there-----we would basically play it alone. My father never used The Links Club in Manhattan even though he belonged the Links Golf Club. If he also belonged to the Links Club in Manhattan he either just never went there or was unaware that he belonged to that too. It was probably the former since the worst thing that could ever happen to him in his opinion was to have to go into New York City.  ;)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 08:09:33 AM by TEPaul »

Mark McKeever

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 09:01:16 AM »
Seems like a very neat place.  I had never heard of it until reading this. 

Thanks for sharing,

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 09:32:57 AM »
I had the chance to visit earlier this year.  A wonderful place, full of golf lore and obvious love for the game.

John Shimp

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 10:07:06 AM »
Thanks to all who have responded.  Interesting posts.  Sounds like some neat golf artwork in the Manhattan location.
To Tom Paul, I wasn't aware there was once an actual golf club on LI.  Thanks for clarifying.

Robert Kimball

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 11:06:13 AM »
Here is a link to an earlier discussion on the golf course. That George Bahto book is really good, I might take it out tonight and re-read some chapters.
-- Rob

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,1518.msg29759/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back