News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Seating behind 18th holes
« on: April 06, 2017, 02:00:19 AM »
A fairly random question, but was hoping folks could help me out on this one. Does anyone have examples of courses that have a number of chairs and/or seating options around or near the 18th green? I can think of Arcadia Bluffs and the long line of chairs overlooking the lake. Glen View Club also has a wonderful setting where the 18th green comes up to the clubhouse, and a number of patio chairs are lined up so players can sit and watch players behind them finish.

What do people here think of the practice? I think it could be really fun at a private club where players could hang out around the green waiting for friends to finish their round. At our home course the 18th is a shortish par-3, which I think would make it more fun as you could watch players tee off as well.

However, I can see how the chairs might look like "clutter?"

Curious to hear others thoughts.

Thanks.
H.P.S.

Duncan Cheslett

Re: Seating behind 18th holes
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 02:33:10 AM »
At Ashton-under-Lyne GC near Manchester the 18th is a short par 3 over a deep ravine to a green right under the clubhouse balcony. On our visit the balcony was full of boisterous golfers enjoying a post round beer and shouting in encouragement/derision.

It made for a great atmosphere.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 03:19:13 AM »

The course I play most often has a patio close behind the 18th green. Pain in the proverbial frankly, natter and chatter and perpetual stupid comments. Can be amusing when an approach shot it thinned or overhit though! :)
Atb

Richard Fisher

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 04:06:25 AM »
Wallasey has a fabulous natural grandstand around and above its 18th green, with chairs and tables positioned appropriately.

Sam Andrews

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 06:07:54 AM »
West Hill's 18th finishes right by the patio in front of the clubhouse and adds to the conviviality of the place I think. I have often thought Woking should finish at the current 15th, with its wicked green set against the finest verandah in England. Instead, it finishes, unseen, round the corner. Rye's clubhouse and patio overlook the 18th at a reasonable distance. You can be all-too acutely aware that the eyes of all assembled will be on your attempts to get up and down from the tricky left hand side. Fail and you will know all about it!
He's the hairy handed gent, who ran amok in Kent.

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 07:27:38 AM »
Moray Old course has the best I've come across.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 07:35:35 AM »

There are numerous courses that afford the spectator excellent viewing from behind the 18th green. Best that I can think of though is Howley Hall near Leeds where the clubhouse is just a few feet behind the green with large windows overlooking it from the bar, snooker room and dining room.

Jon

Ira Fishman

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 07:49:32 AM »
The patio of the bar at Mid Pines is one of the great places for a drink with or without a golf course.  The 18th hole has an elevated tee and the second shot is back up the hill.  It is a glorious view especially when the sky is Carolina Blue.  The patio is close enough to view the whole action but not so close to the green that the 19th hole storytelling disturbs the groups playing.  It is so good that my wife does not complain about the number of drinks I consume while we are hanging out there.

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 08:25:48 AM »
Philadelphia Cricket Club(Wissahickon)has a nice setup with Adirondack chairs to the left of the green to watch the home hole action.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 08:39:38 AM »
Carolina Golf Club in Charlotte.  There's a patio in the back facing the 18th, but the green is hidden over a hill.  Then in front of the patio is a lawn (the "event lawn") with tables and chairs that you can move around to suit yourself and look right down on the 18th green (or out at much of the rest of the course).  Weather permitting, it's a very popular spot to watch golfers come in, finish up, and climb the hill back to the clubhouse.  The 18th green is protected, but not completely surrounded, by water, so watching the approaches is "interesting."  As to the water, well, I think it's safe to say we've all been there and can understand the occasional pain.  (Turn your head to the left and you're watching the par 3 no. three tee, or a little to the right and you're looking at the par 4 no. 10 tee.  All in all, hard to beat.)  Not to over kill, but the picture window in our bar/grill looks right onto the No. 9, par 3 green.  A hole in one or just a great shot or putt usually results in laudatory pounding on the window from those inside.

I should add that at the Pinehurst Resort there's a new dining option hard behind the 18th green of No. 2.  The former Donald Ross Room has been closed to casual dining and is now an event room, as I understand it, but a new casual dining room called "The Deuce" has been built on the other side of the pro shop.  The Deuce's dining patio is as close to the the 18th green on No. 2 as you'd want to get.  We had lunch on the patio on a warm day in February -- great venue.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 08:49:54 AM by Carl Johnson »

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 08:45:48 AM »
Oakland Hills South has a few chairs on the lawn above the 18th green.  Monroe GC in Rochester has chairs also if I recall correctly.

Bob Montle

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 08:49:44 AM »
18th at Brora
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 09:10:45 AM »
Lancaster CC has a nice setup behind 18 with a couple of patios and Adirondack chairs.

Tim Fitz

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 10:45:02 AM »
Not a perfect example (because the chairs sit behind/above the 9th green, rather than the 18th), but still applicable for this purpose is Onwentsia.  They have a simple row of Adirondack chairs with a view out over the entire course, perched just above the 9th green.  It is very serene.

Perhaps less serene (or more raucous) is the deck at Beverly perched over the 18th green. I'll let the Beverly members describe the thrills of seeing/hearing fellow members congregated on the patio (oftentimes, well lubricated) as you step over your approach shot, chip and/or putt on 18.

BCrosby

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 10:57:26 AM »
Swinley Forest.

Jason Topp

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 02:21:08 PM »
We put a couple of these out at Oak Ridge.  I enjoyed them the few times I used them but they sat empty most of the time. 

Your 18th green might get more use with a snack bar, the 1st and 10th tee nearby.  I say try it.

PCCraig

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 12:29:52 AM »
Thanks, Jason.

I think we might give it a try this year. It will help that as of this season the bushes that used to be behind the green are no more, so there is more room for a few chairs!  :)
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back