News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Updated Hollywood profile is posted
« on: December 03, 2010, 10:17:34 AM »
How do you keep learning?

Blogs (of which GolfClubAtlas.com is not one  >:(), web sites (of which GolfClubAtlas.com is one  :D), books like the just published terrific True Links all help. For those really fortunate, you get to see different courses by different architects from different eras and you get to see how certain architects handle certain types of land. Studying how an architect works with a site with modest topography can be particular instructive as he is more free to layer onto the land features that will make for good golf. A prime example - perhaps THE prime example - of that is Hollywood, a much beloved course in golf architecture circles (whatever those are!).

At Hollywood, it is the manner in which Travis created such singular holes as the fourth, seventh, and twelfth that makes Hollywood such a rewarding course to get to know. In addition, people still go back and forth as to how best to play the drive and pitch thirteenth. None of those holes were situated over spectacular land yet here we are ninety years later marveling at how man created such distinctive holes. Equally as important a design accomplishment, there are no dull or ordinary holes in the entire bunch.

Bottom line with any design: Will it stand the test of time? Travis's design passes with flying colors as it is still the rigorous test that he intended and I can't imagine any architect - dead or alive - who could have built a better course on this property.

It was a rainy day in Deal so the pictures don't do the course justice. Despite the rain, the greens were brick hard so their renewed focus on the ground game is already starting to pay off.

Hope you enjoy this updated profile.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 10:22:05 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Rory Connaughton

Re: Updated Hollywood profile is posted
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 11:24:08 AM »
Ran

Thanks for the terrific update.  I have only had one opportunity to play Hollywood but it was memorable.  My first and only experience with Travis.  The course is a joy.

Norbert P

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 01:37:23 PM »

"Hollywood's men locker room houses a pre-World War II aerial that should serve as the roadmap for all future boards in terms of what Travis intended at Hollywood."  RM

I remember about 10 years ago this photo was posted here and I dissed the bunkering as "too much".  (Couldn't find it in SEARCH) My opinion has softened with your fine report. Hollywood is indeed an important golf course for study.  Thanks again, Ran.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 07:12:44 PM »

"Hollywood's men locker room houses a pre-World War II aerial that should serve as the roadmap for all future boards in terms of what Travis intended at Hollywood."  RM

I remember about 10 years ago this photo was posted here and I dissed the bunkering as "too much".  (Couldn't find it in SEARCH) My opinion has softened with your fine report. Hollywood is indeed an important golf course for study.  Thanks again, Ran.

It would be really tough for Hollywood to maintain the bunkering in the photo today. That said the recent changes by Rees Jones worked well on 8 and 9, and the bunkering and tree work was GCA nirvana. Travis greens are always a must and Hollywood is the must play on The Jersey Shore (North).

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 03:00:06 PM »
The 7th from when I last played   ;D

An aerial that shows the bunkering

« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:09:51 PM by Ian Andrew »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 03:04:50 PM »
Hollywood is a little different from all the others Travis Course (note: this is actually a renovation) that I’ve seen. I’ve always assumed that was due to the timing of the project. I find the course a little more audacious than anything else that he has done. I also thought found this course was a little more challenging to play than any other course outside Garden City.

When you look at the original course from the aerial you are awestruck by the extensive use of sand and the shear scale of the course. It reminded me of an early aerial from Pine Valley and that’s why I mentioned the timing of the project since this project was done around the time he consulted at Pine Valley. That experience likely played a very influential role on what he built at Hollywood.

Hollywood has a very special place in my heart because in a Travis sense I feel this is a one off. Yes the greens are consistent with other work (these are a great set), but the bunkering to me is unique. I love his use of carry angles and the almost geometric approach to the presentation.

The highlight of the course is the very cheeky creation of the 4th hole. Ran’s comment helped me understand the origins a lot better, because until that point it was a curiosity. The hole is certainly one of the bold creations I have seen and is one for the ages.

If you’ve not played Hollywood, you’re missing out on one of Travis’s very best works.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 06:14:28 PM »
Ian,

I completely agree.

When you add in the WIND from the Atlantic, less than a mile away, the course really stands out.

The bunkering in the aerial photo is staggering.

Holllywood was intended as a championship course and in it's day, before it was softened, was probably as good, if not a better test, than Pine Valley.

I'd like to see more of those bunkers restored, but, in light of today's and the future's economic climate, I don't see it happening.

Still, Hollywood is a real treat to play.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 07:11:03 AM »
Ian,

Don't you think Hollywood is 'different' from the rest of Travis's work because of Frank Barrett? While it's impossible to tell exactly how he and Travis interacted, Tom MacWood's finds on him are telling such as this quote -  “Hollywood is another course where the landscaping has had great attention. Hollywood in a sense is a monument to Frank Barrett as Pine Valley is to George Crump.”

Giving credit where credit is due is tricky business (and sometimes nearly hopeless) on Golden Age courses but when an architect's work seems markedly different, it probably makes sense to sniff around for another person's involvement.

Cheers,

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 07:21:49 AM »
Ran,

I am not saying that Tilly worked at Hollywood, but there are some references that he may have. For example, his 1925 advertisement lists both Hollywood and Deal as two courses where he did complete examinations and issued reports with recommendations for work to be done. This happened in the early 1920s. Did they take his advice and make changes? A serious look into their records might answer that. If he did, or even if they decided to integrate some or all of his recommendations on their own, then this may be the other hand that you see...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:24:06 AM by Philip Young »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 08:11:48 PM »
Hard to imagine but if the name Hollywood is mentioned in golf circles -- few would associate NJ -- most CA and even FL.

Just a fantastic course that lives in the shadow of other Garden State courses.

I concur w Pat -- would love to see the old-style bunkers and patterns return. That will likely never happen.

A pity indeed.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 11:28:21 PM »

That was one wild golf course, and I don't think it would be too difficult to restore.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 08:52:20 AM »
Don't you think Hollywood is 'different' from the rest of Travis's work because of Frank Barrett? While it's impossible to tell exactly how he and Travis interacted, Tom MacWood's finds on him are telling such as this quote -  “Hollywood is another course where the landscaping has had great attention. Hollywood in a sense is a monument to Frank Barrett as Pine Valley is to George Crump.”

Giving credit where credit is due is tricky business (and sometimes nearly hopeless) on Golden Age courses but when an architect's work seems markedly different, it probably makes sense to sniff around for another person's involvement.

Cheers,

Ran,

I know he worked with other architects as builders, different contractors and his site time was limited on some of the Western New York work. I would have to assume that there was always input from the contractor and the people around him.

Your right, there is no question that some of the work is so different that it must have some secondary influence. That could have been Barrett, it could have been Pine Valley and it may have been both!

I wish we could break this stuff down better, but that would take pouring through the archives. That question would be a good one for the historian at the club.

Regards,

Ian

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back