News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom MacWood

Re: So you'd like to bring back Lido... are you sure?
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »
This what Bernard Darwin wrote about the big three, NGLA, Lido and PVGC:

“My own opinion is that Pine Valley is the hardest; that the Lido, judged as a battlefield for giants is the best, not only in America, but in the world; and that I would rather play on the National than on either. Frankly, I am not good enough golfer for Pine Valley or the Lido. For that matter, I suppose I am not good enough for the National, but I can pretend that I am and can enjoy that delightful game of pretending.”

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2011, 02:55:54 PM »
Great quote, easy on the adjectives and frugal with the syllables.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 03:43:38 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

JNC Lyon

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2011, 04:23:04 PM »
Interesting quote from Darwin.  He said he was not a good enough golfer for Pine Valley or Lido? Wasn't Darwin a last-minute sub on a Walker Cup team?  I imagine those two courses were incredibly difficult in their original form.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Brad Klein

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2011, 07:08:58 PM »
John,

I learned long ago never to be impressed with the sheer number of apparent opinion holders or even the fact that certain people like to demonstrate their ego by shouting. I'm more concerned with spreading the word, listening to other thoughtful people, and allowing a certain style of golf to establish itself on a niche basis. In cable TV it's the model of "narrow casting," not "broadcasting." Even if not a majority -- it's certainly not -- it's disproportionately influential and growing. Maybe this is my own idealism, or my own pedantry.

i also learned long ago not to bother trying to convince people on architecture when they are impressed with "difficulty" or "yardage."  You can't win that argument because the criteria of evaluation are in different universes and they occupy a boring, one-dimensional golf universe.

Tim Martin

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2011, 08:09:05 PM »
John,

I learned long ago never to be impressed with the sheer number of apparent opinion holders or even the fact that certain people like to demonstrate their ego by shouting. I'm more concerned with spreading the word, listening to other thoughtful people, and allowing a certain style of golf to establish itself on a niche basis. In cable TV it's the model of "narrow casting," not "broadcasting." Even if not a majority -- it's certainly not -- it's disproportionately influential and growing. Maybe this is my own idealism, or my own pedantry.

i also learned long ago not to bother trying to convince people on architecture when they are impressed with "difficulty" or "yardage."  You can't win that argument because the criteria of evaluation are in different universes and they occupy a boring, one-dimensional golf universe.

It seems that when a restoration on a course like Pinehurst # 2 gets as much press as it has that it advances that "certain style of golf". When C&C talk about "restoring the greatness" it goes a long way to expanding that niche.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back