News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Which of the following FL courses would you choose to play?
« on: November 30, 2010, 03:46:19 PM »
MacArthur?

Pete Dye Preserve?

Bear's Club?

Please give reasons!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JC Jones

Re: Which of the following FL courses would you choose to play?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 03:48:01 PM »
Is none of the above an option?

If not, I'd choose MacArthur because I love Mac Pumart.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 03:53:49 PM »

No!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ron Csigo

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 04:08:03 PM »

Who is Mac Pumart?!?

George,

From your list, I've only played the Bear's Club and it is a thorough test of golf.  By thorough I mean that unless you're a straight hitter, the course beats you up pretty good for hitting any wayward shots.  In fact, I played their with Mac Plumart back in May and I believe he's actually still ping-ponging his ball back and forth between the two greenside bunkers on the par-5 4th.  Sorry Mac!   :)

Anyway, the course is tough as nails but it's a treat to play.  The clubhouse and locker room are stellar.  The practice area is Tour caliber.  Be sure to practice your short game if you do end up playing here.  Not to mention, you'll probably run into Ernie Els or some other Tour player on the range like we did.  Furthermore, you should definitely play the Short Course at the Bear's Club.  It's excellent!
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 04:08:45 PM »
All three. JC....what would make you say none? They are all three very good golf courses....all three are always in perfect condition, and by that I mean firm and fast. All three present a completely different challenge and looks from the other two.

I would say experience all three if you have the chance.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

JC Jones

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 04:27:33 PM »

Who is Mac Pumart?!?

He is the better looking version of Mac Plumart.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 04:32:48 PM »

No!

Actually, if I was going to the area and I couldn't play Seminole, Pine Tree or Indian Creek, then I would go for MacArthur.  From the pictures I've seen it seems the most appealing to me.  Plus, Tom Fazio did it and he has a great attention to detail.

SL_Solow

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 04:37:22 PM »
JC; re post 5, how is that possible?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 04:41:48 PM »
All sorts of GW rater love going on in this thread.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

George Pazin

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 04:47:35 PM »

And it's fun to read.

Just wanted to expand a little:

My best friend knows I spend too much time on here participate in the discussion group. A couple times a year he calls me up and says, what do you know about XYZ Course? Usually I can answer him off the top of my head, but when he asked about MacArthur, I thought he was asking me about some obscure fantasy football guy...

I would genuinely appreciate anything anyone can share about the courses listed above. My friend is heading down in March - he is someone I would completely feel at ease recommending anyone and everyone on here join for a round.

JC Jones

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 04:48:38 PM »
JC; re post 5, how is that possible?

Nobody was more surprised than me.

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 05:05:37 PM »
MacArthur.  Most FUN course of the three you listed.  If most challenging is your friend's goal, it might be a different call.  But since you asked which we would choose, I'll stick with that answer.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 06:13:11 PM »

And it's fun to read.

Just wanted to expand a little:

My best friend knows I spend too much time on here participate in the discussion group. A couple times a year he calls me up and says, what do you know about XYZ Course? Usually I can answer him off the top of my head, but when he asked about MacArthur, I thought he was asking me about some obscure fantasy football guy...

I would genuinely appreciate anything anyone can share about the courses listed above. My friend is heading down in March - he is someone I would completely feel at ease recommending anyone and everyone on here join for a round.

Again George he should play all three and try to throw in Loblolly and Jupiter Hills. As you all know Florida does struggle with TOPOGRAPHY.......however Mcarthur and Jupiter Hills both run on a sand dune and have some elevation change. There are no homes on Mcarthur and it has a very natural feel. The Bears Club does have homes on it............and not townhomes either!!!!!!! From the correct set of tees for each player it is fun and with Jack's recent renovation and minor changes to some holes it is very playable. You get on the tees too far back for you and it will be a rough day!

The Dye Preserve is a great course on a very flat piece of terrain. Dye used great imagination in creating a course that never gets old. He lures you to the 'easy' side of the fairway then cleverly puts a bunker with a raised lip that causes a blind approach.....the raised green complexes on many holes with shaved surrounds allows for much imagination on approach and chip shots. Good times to be had at all of them. If you can get on Seminole then thats just a bonus that should not be missed.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 06:23:29 PM »
"From your list, I've only played the Bear's Club and it is a thorough test of golf.  By thorough I mean that unless you're a straight hitter, the course beats you up pretty good for hitting any wayward shots.  In fact, I played their with Mac Plumart back in May and I believe he's actually still ping-ponging his ball back and forth between the two greenside bunkers on the par-5 4th.  Sorry Mac!"   

Ron, Ron, Ron...The Bear's Club (especially hole #5) is the most unfair golf course (hole) I have ever played.  Where else is it that you can hit a less than average drive, a decent lay up, pull an approach, skull a bunker shot, chip back over the green and into the bunker again, take two to get out of the bunker, and AGAIN go over the green, only to re-chip back over the green, and have the caddy pick up your ball, and then ask you on the next tee box if you've ever thought of taking lessons!!!!   :o ??? ;D

Perhaps the most memorable hole of my entire golf career!!

As an FYI, I'd check out the course named MacArthur.  Sweet name!!

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 08:43:27 PM »
Let's not forget that the green is roughly the size of the hood on a Volkswagon Beetle.  I've stood on tee boxes that were bigger.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 08:51:02 PM »
George...

In all seriousness, the only course of the bunch you've mentioned that I have played is The Bear's Club.  So, I don't know if it is the best of the three or not...but, despite the fun and games Ron and I are going on about, the club is extremely memorable and was an unbelievable treat to have seen.

The clubhouse is off the charts amazing, a big golden bear in the lobby, lots of Jack's trophies through out the clubhouse, a really cool par 3 course, and an immaculately maintained golf course.  The course itself is very difficult and seemingly set up for a PGA type of golf course feel.  For a day, I felt like a King being on the premises.  If you friend is a fan of Jack Nicklaus, the golfer or architect, it is a must see.

I don't know if that helps or not, but I hope so.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 11:11:23 PM »
Knowing little about these courses and not having seen pictures, I would choose The Bear's Club as this course is so close to his offices and a personal project for Jack.  It would be interesting to see what he created when he could be on site a lot.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 11:16:14 PM »
Pete Dyes Preserve is completely forgettable.  Mass amounts of mounding, lakes and bunkers.

Why not Jupiter Hills or Medalist?  Of the 3 I would choose Bears Club.

John_Conley

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 12:00:29 AM »
North Palm Beach.

Reason?  It's awesome.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 12:21:45 AM »
MacArthur?

Pete Dye Preserve?

Bear's Club?

Please give reasons!

George,

If you're talking about playing them daily, I'd eliminate The Bear's Club as I think it's too penal, day in and day out.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 01:47:47 AM »
I've played all 3 many times and without a doubt, all 3 are definitely worth playing. So are the Ritz, Jupiter Hills, Admirals Cove and Seminole.

I'm kinda surprised by all the comments, there is excellent golf in this little pocket, all 7 courses.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back