News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

A New Course At Longniddry By Colt 1921
« on: November 30, 2010, 10:11:59 AM »

Three  articles on the new course

A Colt Creation  25th Jam 1921

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Progress on Longniddry 16th August 1921

New Course Golfing Topics 25.01.1921
Page 1

Page 2

Ally, Hope this is more informative.

Melvyn

Bill_McBride

Re: A New Course At Longniddry By Colt 1921
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 12:54:35 PM »
I wonder why poor Herbert Fowler was chucked after being engaged by Lord Wemyss to design the course in 1914.  I'm not sure when Fowler was in America designing courses on both coasts, but perhaps there was a time conflict.  1921 sounds about right.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 04:25:18 AM »
Wonderful Melvyn, thank you.  (YOu  have posted the same link to pages 3 and 4)

Anyone played Longniddry, it gets little mention here?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ken Kearney

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 04:44:13 AM »
Yes, I have played it... a few times , while at college in Edinburgh.
It is a wonerfully understated course. Some interesting green sites that are benched into severe hills.
The site moves from links type to "woodlandish" in places but the transition is not so stark or obvious..
I loved it and would recommend a visit.
I will look for photos.

Ken.
KK.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 05:09:27 AM »
Thanks Melvyn,

The club website and the following link gives some insight:

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/productdetails.asp?id=954

It's worth looking at the 3rd review down which refers to the bunkering... Ken, If I may be so presumptuous to ask if you were at college before the changes? Have you been back since?

Ken Kearney

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 05:55:26 AM »
Ally,
I played there with guys from college in 2004-2006... post bunker work, I expect...
I have located the photos, (which I put on a pdf slide show, for some reason... experimental at the time, I expect) ... but cant bloody post them...

KK
KK.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 06:12:48 AM »
Ally,
I played there with guys from college in 2004-2006... post bunker work, I expect...
I have located the photos, (which I put on a pdf slide show, for some reason... experimental at the time, I expect) ... but cant bloody post them...

KK

Ah, of course - The ECA programme...

I wonder why MacKenzie Ross needed to get rid of 3 coast holes during his post-war renovation?...

I'd be keen to see those photos if you get them posted (can't help you in that area though)

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 06:16:52 AM »

Tony

Ops,  sorry and that was the important page too that I missed with the Hole lengths, so I attach the article again hopefully with all the correct pages

A Colt Creation  25th Jan 1921
Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Melvyn

Paul_Turner

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 06:57:36 AM »
Ally,

KK

Ah, of course - The ECA programme...

I wonder why MacKenzie Ross needed to get rid of 3 coast holes during his post-war renovation?...

I'd be keen to see those photos if you get them posted (can't help you in that area though)

Allly

The links holes were shared with public access to the beach.  A women was killed by a ball and the holes were abandoned.  They looked really good holes though and I've wondered if they could be safely restored.  The course was much less cramped with them.

The 6th par 3 had to be rerouted too, it originally crossed the road and there were safety complaints for that hole- I think pretty much from the day the course opened.   About 12 original holes remain.

can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back