News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Marion

Course Photography New and Historic
« on: November 29, 2010, 05:47:52 PM »
Does anyone know a source or have a favorite photographer of modern course photography? A source for historic photos as well?

Specifically, I'm looking for Tillinghast designed courses......both well known (plenty of BP Black out there!) and not so well known courses.

JMEvensky

Re: Course Photography New and Historic
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 05:53:21 PM »
Phillip Young would be the go-to guy for all things Tillinghast.Send him a PM--he'll probably be glad to help.

Aidan Bradley's photographs are spectacular.You should send him a PM.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 06:52:27 PM »
JM, thank you for the kind words. However, there are a good number of people in the industry who do fine work. Brian Morgan and Mike Klemme would be considered trail blazers in this industry and I am sure would have photographed many Tillinghast courses. Russell Kirk has also shot a number of the aforementioned courses.

Brian,please feel free to contact me for any further information.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:49:07 AM »
JM, thank you for the kind words. However, there are a good number of people in the industry who do fine work. Brian Morgan and Mike Klemme would be considered trail blazers in this industry and I am sure would have photographed many Tillinghast courses. Russell Kirk has also shot a number of the aforementioned courses.

Brian,please feel free to contact me for any further information.

Just curious, Aidan, if you don't mind:

How do you do your course photography? That is: How do you contact the clubs? Do you walk around, or ride? Do you arrive at dawn? Leave at dusk? Do you visit more than once? Do club personnel make special requests? Do you owe the clubs anything? Do you give the clubs the use of your photos? Do you need permission to photograph any golfers in your pictures? Etc., etc.

Whatever you'd care to tell us about how you do your work, I'd love to hear it. You do very fine work, IMO.

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 12:49:02 PM »
No worries Dan. No great secrets, happy to share.......

How do you contact the clubs?

As a general rule, they contact me.

Do you walk around, or ride?

I ride. Given the short window of opportunity to photograph and the weight of the equipment, walking is not practical.

Do you arrive at dawn?

It varies depending on where you are flying to and what time of year but usually about early afternoon which gives you time to scout the course before you start shooting.

Do you visit more than once?

Very seldom but that said I have been to Ballyliffin on three occasions and still haven't finished (weather). Sometimes I might spend two or three days on property but that usually depends on budget.

Do club personnel make special requests?

They might request images of particular holes but as a rule I get to do shoot whatever I think appropriate.

Do you owe the clubs anything?

A debt of gratitude for putting their trust and few shekles in my hands.

Do you give the clubs the use of your photos?

They get to use the images to promote their club. I have a standard contract which explains the permissible usages.

Do you need permission to photograph any golfers in your pictures?

Unless specifically requested, my images are always devoid of people.

Hope that helps.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 12:57:48 PM »
Aiden could make Dogpatch Muni look like Ballybunion, his photography is that good.  It's amazing.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 01:00:24 PM »
Bill....... it's a little early to be tippin the Bushmills.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 01:01:26 PM »
Bill....... it's a little early to be tippin the Bushmills.

;D ;D

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 02:43:24 PM »
"devoid of people". I will have to remember that one.
I really enjoy your work Aidan.

Dean DiBerardino

« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:03:33 PM by Dean DiBerardino »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 03:06:25 PM »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 03:22:09 PM »
I am not sure what you want the pictures for but there are a lot of images online.

For example here a couple of pictures of the Golden Valley Country Club in Minnesota from the Minnesota Historical Society webpage.  They do not show much of the course but instead focus on the clubhouse.

http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresources/image.cfm?imageid=84064&Page=1&Keywords=golden%20valley&SearchType=Basic

http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresources/image.cfm?imageid=30823&Page=2&Keywords=golden%20valley&SearchType=Basic

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 03:40:32 PM »
Brian,

Are you looking for historic photographs of specific Tilly courses? Or are you seeking photos of specific Tilly features?

The best historic photographer of Tillinghast courses was A.W. Tillinghast! Of the photographs used in his published articles, at least 95% were taken by him. Many photographs used in Golf Illustrated, Golf and American Golfer and that were not part of Tilly aerticles were also taken by him.

If you are seeking a photographer for your own course, email me and i'll sharea few names with you. Some you'll know of and some will probably be new to you. The name of Aidan Bradley will be included as he already knows that I am a big fan of his work.

Brian Marion

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 05:14:02 PM »
Brian,

Are you looking for historic photographs of specific Tilly courses? Or are you seeking photos of specific Tilly features?

The best historic photographer of Tillinghast courses was A.W. Tillinghast! Of the photographs used in his published articles, at least 95% were taken by him. Many photographs used in Golf Illustrated, Golf and American Golfer and that were not part of Tilly aerticles were also taken by him.

If you are seeking a photographer for your own course, email me and i'll sharea few names with you. Some you'll know of and some will probably be new to you. The name of Aidan Bradley will be included as he already knows that I am a big fan of his work.

All of the above.........!

Eric_Dorsey

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 11:33:34 PM »
Brian, I am Brook Hollow's photographer and have a nice gallery of the course. 

email me for details if you'd like.  Of course you would need permission, but I can help there too I believe.

my best,
eric

dorse72@gmail.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back