News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gareth Williams

Re: COLT GB&I ECLECTIC 18
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2010, 08:00:50 AM »
StGH is very nice but I'd take Hankley Common or Pulborough over it, unless you like Mayhughski style mansions. The Ruski's sure now how to build an in your face vodka palace on the estate.
I agree with Mark - Hankley is the most underrated course discussed on this forum - best site ever for a heathland course, possibly any golf course, but I think some people use this fact to try and argue that the design is not as good - stunning par 3s, great par 4s and wonderful par 5s. There is a lot of subtlety in the design that takes a while to uncover - usually a fair degree of width but there is always a better position to attack from. If I had to pick one course to play for the rest of my life, this would get the nod. Of the really top-class holes, I would quote 1, 3 (I want to try the new back tee!), 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 18. Re the par 3s, I would take 7 and 11 over any on SGH and Swinley.

If anyone fancies a GCA trip to see Hankley over the next few months, I would be up for it.

Ditto Paul. Maybe try to get some dates?

Paul_Turner

Re: COLT GB&I ECLECTIC 18 (finito)
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2010, 04:28:51 PM »
Sean

Some super Colt short par 4s (some driveable):

Hamilton 5 (probably his best)
Toronto 12
Churston 13
De Pan 10
St Germain 10
Meyrick Park 9 and 16
Moor Park West 3 and 10
Edgbaston 11
Tandridge 6 and 16
SGH 4
Royal Belfast 10
Swinley 11
Muirfield 2 and 11

Don't really get the love for Hankley.  Doak's 4/10 may have been a bit harsh but in my mind it's the least of the well known heathland courses. The green complexes are mostly unexciting and neither the terrain or hazards make up for it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 04:58:51 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2010, 01:00:08 AM »
Sean

Nothing from either of the Wentworth courses ?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2010, 02:06:09 AM »
Paul Nash - the third at Hankley is a drive and 5/6 iron without run and a 7/8 iron in the summer, a far cry from the tricky chip and run from the old tee. It is a real tiger from back there.

Scott - I agree with you re Rye although 17 isn't bad just different. The first isn't a soft opener as it's the only easy birdie hole on the course so needs to be attacked early doors. Sunningdale Old is comfortably world top 100 and no one could argue 3 and 9 are no better than moderate holes.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 08:55:32 PM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Pearce

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2010, 04:10:33 AM »
Paul,

The best Colt short par 4 I have played (but probably not driveable) is the 8th at Brancepeth Castle, which with the 9th is the best hole on that course.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2010, 09:10:34 AM »
Colt's short par fours at Woodhall Spa rae all superb, the best collection of short par fours on any course anywhere.
I know that Vardon laid down the original routing at Woodhall, but from my understanding what we now see is primarily the work of Mr Colt.
Colt redesigned the course in 1911.
The short par four10th,15th and 17th are great , especially the super tight 15 and 17.
I have already mentioned number 11 which is one of the worlds great par fours...add on a collection of superb par thress and you can see why this is one of the worlds top 50 golf courses.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2010, 10:24:24 AM »
Colt's short par fours at Woodhall Spa rae all superb, the best collection of short par fours on any course anywhere.
Yale?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2010, 10:34:04 AM »
I had a change of heart about the 15th in this eclectic.  I couldn't see leaving Southfield out of this exercise when Northaamptonshire Co had tow holes represented.

Michael WP  Are the the holes you suggest at Woodhall down to Colt?

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2010, 02:07:40 PM »
Sean, You must have had a lot of fun doing this. Would you like to do it also for MacKenzie, Fowler and Braid? (Simpson and Abercromby, too, if you can find enough attributable holes). Done in this sort of detail it might just show that one or other of them had that little something extra.

Sean_A

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2010, 03:48:24 AM »
Sean, You must have had a lot of fun doing this. Would you like to do it also for MacKenzie, Fowler and Braid? (Simpson and Abercromby, too, if you can find enough attributable holes). Done in this sort of detail it might just show that one or other of them had that little something extra.

Mark

Fowler would be the guy I would want to do most, but I don't have strong enough memories of some very courses such as Saunton and Berkshire Red/Blue.  For some reason I seem to have played a lot of Colt courses without really seeking out his name, but instead seeking to play courses based on their the reps - both locally and on a national/international level.  In many ways Colt is British golf and it is difficult not to play his courses.  One thing I have certainly come to appreciate about Colt is his work was of an incredibly high standard, no matter if we are talking about Portrush or Southfield.  To a large extent elements like history, championship capability, location and terrain are the forces driving wedge between what is considered supreme Colt and what is not - regardless, the designs are nearly always high calibre.

Ciao

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back