News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

all Bandon 18
« on: November 23, 2010, 03:45:45 PM »
have we done this yet?  if not...

come up with a composite of the best 18 holes at the resort

2 rules:

1. you HAVE to pick at least one hole from each course

2. par doesnt have to be 72...but it also shouldnt be 65 or 75 or anything "too extreme"...evern Mike Keiser wouldnt have gone for a par 67 course...

also, the first hole of your course does NOT have to be the first hole on 1 of the four courses there..i.e., so the par 3 12th at Bandon could be the first hole on your "all- Bandon "course

I think that 12th hole would have to make my course..

have at it!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom_Doak

Re: all Bandon 18
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 05:01:46 PM »
There would probably be six or eight short par-4 holes on my list of the best 18 holes in Bandon.  Every course has one or two great ones.

Ted Cahill

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 05:52:21 PM »
My favorite Bandon 18 Hole Composite would be as follows

Pacific Dunes:  2, 3. 7, 11, 17   
Old MacDonald; 3, 4, 17, 18      
Bandon Trails: 1, 3, 5, 6, 11, 12   
Bandon Dunes:  4, 7, 17   

PAR 70

Boy I wish I was playing there now…I can feel an impulsive Bandon road trip in the near future.
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 06:10:56 PM »
My favorite Bandon 18 Hole Composite would be as follows

Pacific Dunes:  2, 3. 7, 11, 17   
Old MacDonald; 3, 4, 17, 18      
Bandon Trails: 1, 3, 5, 6, 11, 12   
Bandon Dunes:  4, 7, 17   

PAR 70

Boy I wish I was playing there now…I can feel an impulsive Bandon road trip in the near future.

Which is the most polarizing hole at the resort, Bandon Dunes #17 or Bandon Trails #14?

I wish I could play, but haven't seen Old Mac yet, much less played it.   :'(

Ted Cahill

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 06:25:35 PM »
Bill- thats interesting, I didn't realise 17 @ Bandon Dunes was polarizing.  I like it for it's views from the tee, looking south toward Bullards State Beach and Cut Creek canyon (especially when it's dripping with yellow gorse bloom).  I like the 2nd shot on BD 17- you can punch a mid iron to the front of the green and get a nice role to a back pin placement.

I have made my piece with #14 at BT.  Objectively, it's ridiculous.  But I just accept it and see if this time I can make par.  If I blow up, I just pick up after a couple of failed chips and head to 15.  My bigger complaint at BT is # 16.  That hole is simply a chore from tee to green- I would blow up 16 before 14.  Despite this, Bandon Trails is my sentimental favorite course at the resort.  The highs at BT more than make up for the couple of warts. 

Gary Daughters

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 06:29:42 PM »
Par 4's
#4  Bandon Trails
#3  Old Mac
#4  Old Mac
#4  Pacific Dunes
#13 Pacific Dunes
#10 Old Mac
#10 Bandon Trails
#11 Bandon Trails
#14 Bandon Trails
#7  Bandon Dunes

Par 3's
#5  Bandon Trails
#17 Bandon Trails
#5 Old Mac
#11 Pacific Dunes

Par 5's
#6  Old Mac
#15 Old Mac
#3  Pacific Dunes
#9  Bandon Trails

THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Gary Daughters

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 06:40:34 PM »

Ted,

The guys at Bandon Trails said they are contemplating some changes to #16.  That hole to me is like slamming on the brakes on an otherwise lovely ride.  I'd blow it up, too.
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Mark Kinney

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 06:58:08 PM »
A very common discussion this summer.  
It was easier for me to break it down by 3s, 4s and 5s...

Par 3s
#11 Pacific ... one of the best short par 3s around.  I've hit everything from gap wedge to 3wood there.
#12 Bandon Dunes
#17 Trails
#2 Trails

Par 4s
#6 Pacific ... one of the best short 4s in the world
#2 Pacific ... often overlooked by many, great options depending upon conditions
#14 Bandon Dunes ... love all the different routes one can take
#4 Bandon Dunes
#8 Bandon Dunes
#15 Trails ... favorite hole on Trails
#13 Trails ... fantastic approach
#3 Old Mac
#8 Pacific ... front left pin might be the most difficult hole location on the property
#5 Bandon Dunes

Par 5s
#17 Old Mac ... my favorite hole on OM
#3 Trails ... Wow!!!
#3 Pacific ... my favorite hole on the entire property
#15 Old Mac

***Honorable Mention to #4 on Shorty's ... just a beautifully framed hole
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 07:01:36 PM by Mark Kinney »

Ted Cahill

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 07:19:56 PM »
Mark- great minds think alike- you are the first person I've heard from that considers 17 @ OM as their favorite. I'm not alone anymore. My fondness is almost entirely visual- I love looking back from the green and how the forest canyon on the right frames the hole. I could pull up a chair and watch golfers all day at that spot and be content.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 07:51:10 PM »
The bulk of any all-star gathering of holes would be from Old Mac & Pac Dunes.

BT and BD would likely only provide a small amt -- no more than three tops for each in my mind.

Can provide details shortly.

From BT I would include the par-3 5th and par-4 14th -- with a possible inclusion of the 1st -- just love that view from the tee.

From BD I would include the par-4 4th, 5th and par-3 6th -- the rest don't make it.

I'll have the rest from Old Mac and Pac Dunes in a few minutes ...

Mark Kinney

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 08:05:28 PM »
Ted,

17 Old Mac is considered by many of the caddies to be the best on the course.  We almost to a man, absolutely HATE #10 and #12 btw. 

I like all the different options the hole presents, from playing it as a 2- or 3-shotter, to where and how close to layup.  For me, the day's hole location is the most important consideration.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 08:39:39 PM »
Mark,

I agree with many of your selections. The only one I would say no way to is the eighth at Bandon Dunes, but you make up for it by choosing #8 at Pacific.

I also love that the. Addies hate the tenth and twelfth at Old Macdonald.  There is nothing better than building a couple of holes which perplex the regulars.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 09:18:08 PM »
Bill- thats interesting, I didn't realise 17 @ Bandon Dunes was polarizing.  I like it for it's views from the tee, looking south toward Bullards State Beach and Cut Creek canyon (especially when it's dripping with yellow gorse bloom).  I like the 2nd shot on BD 17- you can punch a mid iron to the front of the green and get a nice role to a back pin placement.

I think there are many who think the good holes at Bandon Dunes end after 16.  I personally really like 17 and the way it rewards a tee shot as close to the chasm as possible.  The green also has a lot more back to front slope than it appears, so the closer to the chasm, the closer to centerline of the green.  A safe tee shot way left leaves an approach that is hard to get close.

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 09:21:32 PM »
Mark,

I agree that #6 PD is one of the best short 4's anywhere.  It's what BT #14 has wet dreams over.... 8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Kirk

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »

Par 3s
#11 Pacific ... one of the best short par 3s around.  I've hit everything from gap wedge to 3wood there.
#12 Bandon Dunes
#17 Trails
#2 Trails

Par 4s
#2 Pacific ... often overlooked by many, great options depending upon conditions
#4 Bandon Dunes
#8 Bandon Dunes
#3 Old Mac
#8 Pacific ... front left pin might be the most difficult hole location on the property
#5 Bandon Dunes

Par 5s
#3 Trails ... Wow!!!
#15 Old Mac

Great list, Mark.  I'd probably make a couple changes, but not many.  Maybe I'd put #7 or #13 at Pac Dunes out there in lieu of #15 at Old Mac for instance, and drop the par to 71.

William_G

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 09:58:29 PM »

Par 3s
#12 Bandon Dunes
#17 Trails
#2 Trails

Par 4s
#4 Bandon Dunes
#8 Bandon Dunes
#3 Old Mac
#5 Bandon Dunes

Par 5s
#3 Trails ... Wow!!!
#15 Old Mac

Great list, Mark.  I'd probably make a couple changes, but not many.  Maybe I'd put #7 or #13 at Pac Dunes out there in lieu of #15 at Old Mac for instance, and drop the par to 71.

Great list and comments. Definitely an all  star list. Love Bandon. Snowed out today there. LOL.
It's all about the golf!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 10:12:28 PM »
I CANNOT BELIEVE that you bone daddies are ignroing #16 at Bandon Dunes on your list of par fours...

I'm also partial to the 11th at Trails, a hole unlike any other at the resort (and I mean that in a good way!)

I am one who believes that Trails will ultimately rate as the best course at the resort...it's the most varied and that wins the day.  As far as 16 goes...waahhh (that goes for guys who complain about 14, too...suck it up, big boys!)

In fact, I'll go one step farther and say that Dunes I, Dunes II and Old Mac are the same golf course...boring exposed links golf, hole after hole.  Give me Bandon Trails or give me death!!!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JC Jones

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 10:27:30 PM »
Why not make this a real challenge.  Instead of selecting the best 18 holes at the resort.  Choose the best hole of each of the #1's, 2's, 3's, etc. to select an 18 hole course.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 10:31:15 PM »
Why not make this a real challenge.  Instead of selecting the best 18 holes at the resort.  Choose the best hole of each of the #1's, 2's, 3's, etc. to select an 18 hole course.

JC, start the thread ("Eclectic Bandon Resort Course") and you will get lots of players.

JC Jones

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 10:36:58 PM »

JC, start the thread ("Eclectic Bandon Resort Course") and you will get lots of players.

I thought thats what this thread was.  But, ask and ye shall receive my once former captain.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 08:05:11 AM »

17 Old Mac is considered by many of the caddies to be the best on the course.  We almost to a man, absolutely HATE #10 and #12 btw. 

Can you tell us why the caddies hate 10 and 12?  

Mark Kinney

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 11:34:57 AM »
Tom and Jim,

Regarding #10 and #12 OM...
Most of the caddies that I play/work with dislike those two holes because they are just too difficult for 90% + of the resort's guests.

I don't mind the tee shot on #10.  Sometimes it's difficult to pick an appropriate line for different players.  It's the green site that that is too extreme.  If the front of the green was the same height as say #15 Pacific, I would probably even like the hole.  Even a well struck shot is hard to chase up that hill, and don't even think about trying to fly it in there downwind.

The same goes for #12.  Just too big a slope on both sides of the green for the majority of players to have a chance.  I've witnessed as many players "ping-pong" their shots from one side to the other as I have seen on #14 Trails.

Mark Kinney

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 11:44:40 AM »
And Tom regarding my inclusion of #8 Bandon.  That was the last one on the list and I chose between a few holes, most notably #13 Pac and #3 Bandon, as well as the opening holes on both Pacific and OM.  
#8 is one of my favorite to play, probably because I just own it.  We all have those holes that set up for us and that's one of mine.  If I'm down at all, I will be pressing you on 8 tee, because I feel like I can go birdie/birdie on 8 and 9.    

Tom_Doak

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 12:10:25 PM »
Tom and Jim,

Regarding #10 and #12 OM...

I don't mind the tee shot on #10.  Sometimes it's difficult to pick an appropriate line for different players.  It's the green site that that is too extreme.  If the front of the green was the same height as say #15 Pacific, I would probably even like the hole.  Even a well struck shot is hard to chase up that hill, and don't even think about trying to fly it in there downwind.

The same goes for #12.  Just too big a slope on both sides of the green for the majority of players to have a chance.  I've witnessed as many players "ping-pong" their shots from one side to the other as I have seen on #14 Trails.

Two questions:

#10:  What % of golfers have you seen go over the back of the green and down into the bunker on #5?  That's the only part of the hole which worried me.  I was surprised how often I saw players fly it to the green and hold it in the early days of play, but I wasn't there much with a stiff summer wind.

#12:  It is EXTREMELY difficult to get the ball to stay on the green from over the back right, I will grant you that.  But do many players really start playing ping-pong after a missed tee shot left?  If not, then I would suggest you all need to reevaluate how you look at the hole.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 12:43:47 PM »
Overall Listing of holes ...

PAR-3 HOLES

BD / 6th
BT / 5th
OM / 5th
Toss-up between the two below ...
OM / 12th - just a solid hole with options galore ...
PD / 11th

PAR-4 HOLES

BD / 4th
BD / 5th
BT / 1st
BT / 14th
OM / 3rd
OM / 4th
OM / 7th
OM / 14th
OM / 16th
PD / 13th

PAR-5 HOLES

BT / 3rd
OM / 17th
PD / 3rd
PD / 18th

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back