News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

high praise from Whitten re Castle Stuart
« on: November 23, 2010, 09:50:48 AM »
just read this statement from him:" Castle Stuart might be the most perfectly conceived and executed design ever built". :o ???

um, thats pretty high praise...is this true for those of you who have been there?  is it even close to the truth??
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

John Kavanaugh

Re: high praise from Whitten re Castle Stuart
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
Paul,

Why would Whitten lie?  This whole Golfweek guys bashing Whitten thing is getting older than me bashing raters.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 09:58:45 AM »
Paul -

There have been multiple threads on CS here over the past few weeks and the past 12 months.

Here is one: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46544.0/

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 10:00:38 AM »
Paul,

Why would Whitten lie?  This whole Golfweek guys bashing Whitten thing is getting older than me bashing raters.

nothing is as old as you bashing raters

and i didnt call him a liar

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 10:06:07 AM »
Paul,

But you did say "is it even close to the truth??" which implies it might not be the truth......,i.e. a lie.  I haven't been to Castle Stuart but there are certainly mixed opinions, much like that other Castle course at st Andrews.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 10:11:06 AM »
Paul -

Somehow my response to your initial post created a thread of its own. My fault!

I did reference Ron Whitten's  comments on the linked thread above, but I don't think there was much response specifically to his comments on CS.

DT

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 10:14:01 AM »
For those who think the only thing Ron Whitten has done in his career is hype Gillette Ridge please take the time to read this article concerning his induction into the Kansas Golf Hall of Fame:  http://www.kansasgolf.org/index.php?page=718

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 10:15:56 AM »
Paul:

I did see Ron W's comment and what stuck me as interesting is that he called it the best course of the new millenium. Didn't Pac Dunes open in 2001? What about Old MacDonald?  

Those are just two similar stlye courses that are highly praised that I was surprised to see Ron say that CS was better.
H.P.S.

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 10:22:44 AM »
Paul,

But you did say "is it even close to the truth??" which implies it might not be the truth......,i.e. a lie.  I haven't been to Castle Stuart but there are certainly mixed opinions, much like that other Castle course at st Andrews.

all just opinions Bill so no one can be lying

I just found Ron's statement quite surprising

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 10:24:21 AM »
Paul,

You just have to choose your words carefully or somebody will be on you like a cheap suit!

PThomas

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 10:27:09 AM »
Paul,

You just have to choose your words carefully or somebody will be on you like a cheap suit!

you are right about that!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 10:39:50 AM »
Paul:

I did see Ron W's comment and what stuck me as interesting is that he called it the best course of the new millenium. Didn't Pac Dunes open in 2001? What about Old MacDonald?  

Those are just two similar stlye courses that are highly praised that I was surprised to see Ron say that CS was better.

It's always nice to have Thing 2 follow in on the heels of Thing 1, or is it the other way around.  I can not find where Mr. Whitten said that Castle Stuart is better than Pacific Dunes or Old MacDonald?

Just do me one favor in the future, don't call Mr. Whitten Ron and then call Brad Dr. Klein in the same forum.

btw...Where does it say that Castle Stuart is the best course of the new millenium?

PThomas

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 10:46:44 AM »
Paul:

It's always nice to have Thing 2 follow in on the heels of Thing 1, or is it the other way around.  I can not find where Mr. Whitten said that Castle Stuart is better than Pacific Dunes or Old MacDonald?

Just do me one favor in the future, don't call Mr. Whitten Ron and then call Brad Dr. Klein in the same forum.

btw...Where does it say that Castle Stuart is the best course of the new millenium?

wow, since you are giving out nicknames i'm sure i can think of several for you

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 10:48:19 AM »

Could someone show me the proper punctuation for the above statement?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 11:01:33 AM »
I'll give it a try. By no means am I representing I know the proper way. Heck, I missed grammar in school because we moved.

Just do me one favor in the future, don't call Mr. Whitten, Ron, and, then call Brad, Dr. Klein, in the same forum.

How'd I do?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Eric Smith

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 11:06:16 AM »
A lot of Doctors referenced in this thread. ;D Ever wondered what a golf course designed by Ted Geisel would look like?

PCCraig

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 11:34:17 AM »
Paul:

???

I don't have last month's GD in front of me, I was only recalling what I thought I remembered reading. Even still, what is considered higher praise? Calling it the best course of the new millenium, or calling it  "the most perfectly conceived and executed design ever built."

I wasn't aware I was addressing either Brad Klein or Ron Whitten differently. But even if I did, who cares.

Paul's question is a good one in the first post, and it was a comment that raised my eyebrows when I read it. Yet you're trying to turn it into some quasi rater bashing / GD vs. GW thread. I guess he should of started a post about balloons at a small town farmers funeral to be more "thought-provoking" for your tastes. ::)

H.P.S.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 12:08:51 PM »
The only thing I saw Ron say was that Castle Stuart was the first great links course of the 21st century.

Whether that disses Pacific Dunes or whether he is not counting it as a links, he did not say.  I know he hasn't been to Barnbougle, but he should not dismiss it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 01:25:42 PM by Tom_Doak »

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 12:12:47 PM »
The operative phrase in Ron Whitten's statement is "may be."

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 01:14:56 PM »

Just do me one favor in the future: Don't call Mr. Whitten "Ron" and then call Brad "Dr. Klein" in the same forum.

Niall C

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 01:49:37 PM »
From the little I know of the course and how it was designed and built, changes were made to the design during construction and some of the changes were quite fundamental. That suggests to me that the course wasn't "perfectly" conceived. They have also tweaked bits of the course here and there since opening from what I gather so the construction was hardly perfectly executed either. Seems a strange phrase all round, good course though.

Niall

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 02:05:24 PM »

Just do me one favor in the future: Don't call Mr. Whitten "Ron" and then call Brad "Dr. Klein" in the same forum.

I like how that reads and am seeing some humor in where you place the quotes.  The comma thing that Adam presented was my first thought but read too choppy.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 02:34:46 PM »
Punctuation, schumunctuation. All I know is that it's good to see you back Mr. K. You seem to have a knack for getting under people's skin across cyberspace, and I (for one) enjoy the conflict, especially when it doesn't get personal. . .

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 02:40:40 PM »
Getting back to Paul's original question that began this thread, Castle Stuart is THAT good.  Only way to see for sure is to go there yourself.  One guy's opinion...........

JESII

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 02:56:57 PM »
Mitch,

I'm sure I'll love Castle Stuart if and when I get there, but when you say "THAT good", do you mean it 'is the most perfectly conceived and executed design ever built'?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back