News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Whispering Pines Golf Club, Trinity TX
« on: November 19, 2010, 04:14:53 PM »
A friend has been invited to play there.  I know nothing, what say the Texican GCA.com crowd?

Thanks for your input.

The website doesn't say much beyond, "We're # 1!"

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Whispering Pines Golf Club, Trinity TX
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 04:36:02 PM »
He will enjoy it.  A very good course by Nicklaus associate Chet Williams, among the best in Texas.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 04:49:29 PM »
He will enjoy it.  A very good course by Nicklaus associate Chet Williams, among the best in Texas.

Thanks, I will pass it along.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 04:51:01 PM »
The Dallas Morning News did rank it the best in Texas, giving rise to that web site claim.  Our votes for next year's ballots are due right after Turkey day, so it may change. (but I doubt it)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 04:56:33 PM »
The Dallas Morning News did rank it the best in Texas, giving rise to that web site claim.  Our votes for next year's ballots are due right after Turkey day, so it may change. (but I doubt it)

I hate ratings, but it must be a helluva course if ranked that highly.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 05:33:22 PM »
Bill
It will be your 2nd favorite course in TX.
:)
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 07:02:17 PM »
one of my favorite places.Fast fun Bermuda type greens.Very sandy.A big property. they close in the summer and around the holidays so the conditions when I have been are excellent. watch out for gators and snakes.Very nice pro shop and staff.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 07:40:14 PM »
Traveling from Houston it is definitely worth the trip.  Some movement to the land, a few really good holes and great conditioning.

Steve Lang

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 08:12:47 PM »
 8) MIght want to talk with Casey Wade at Migh Meadow Ranch, he was asst there after leaving The Woodlands and worked for Andy Hodson (the Pro) who lurks around here.

Here's  a pic of two happy campers (twins split at birth) at WP circa Dec 2002 30th Parallel Gang Outing, and they hadn't even teed off yet.. probably because the practice facility is pretty good

a favorite very early on

smiles are generally to be expected

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:16:33 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Lou_Duran

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 09:54:45 AM »
Steve,

No fair posting old pictures!  Andy, the consummate professional is not even there any more.   :'(

WP is a delightful course, particularly when it is F & F as it was when I was there last in the drought year of 2005.  I have heard from reliable sources (including a report from last week) that the course is playing more like it was in 2002.

WP has been in the DMN's #1 spot for awhile, I think primarily because of its setting and unique structure, and I suspect that it will compete for that lofty status again this year.

Bill McBride, I would be interested in your friend's feedback.  This course has shot way up in all the ratings since it was largely a hidden gem recommended on this site not by a Texan, but by a NLP (no longer posts) rater from that school up north (Michigan).  I have to believe that having been elevated to the top by the DMNs has helped WP achieve wide acclaim.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 11:10:42 AM »
Great place, if it's not the best in Texas then it's pretty damned close. Drive it in play, keep it below the hole= profit.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 11:25:06 AM by Sam Morrow »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 11:12:48 PM »
Bill you guys will enjoy yourself. It is a wonderful golf experience. The staff is first class as is the facilities. The course is very good. It is getting a bit late in the year before the water table climbs. It can get a little slower or wetish in the winter. I really love the place.

Ed Oden

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 11:40:18 PM »
So far the comments have been long on praise but short on details.  What makes the course so good? 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 11:48:02 PM »
Bill you guys will enjoy yourself. It is a wonderful golf experience. The staff is first class as is the facilities. The course is very good. It is getting a bit late in the year before the water table climbs. It can get a little slower or wetish in the winter. I really love the place.

Unfortunately I was not invited!   ;)

For those who have played both, how would you compare a day at Whispering Pines to a day at Austin Golf Club?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 12:08:14 AM »

For those who have played both, how would you compare a day at Whispering Pines to a day at Austin Golf Club?

I'd take a day at Austin Golf Club, Whispering Pines is awesome, don't get me wrong but it's one of those courses that over time (atleast in my case) loses it's luster. Austin Golf Club is a more fun golf course to me, you can hit any shot you want for the most part. In cold, windy, wet conditions I think AGC would still be a blast, in those conditoons Whispering Pines would be a bitch. I think Whispering Pines would be more fun if it were shorter and they really get those greens get crazy quick, that would be very quirky.

I'll take AGC with an emergency round at Spanish Oaks.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 08:25:29 AM »

I like Austin too...but the courses are so different that they are hard to compare.  Whispering Pines might be 5 shots tougher.  It's a fun place to travel to and play, but Austin golf is the kind of course you'd want to play every day.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 09:46:08 PM »
Whispering Pines is very long on golf experience. It is select company at top. It is a good but not great from an archiectural point of view. That is why not many details.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 11:52:28 PM »
Whispering Pines is very long on golf experience. It is select company at top. It is a good but not great from an archiectural point of view. That is why not many details.

Tiger, do you think the course has a couple of weak holes? When I mention that to people who know the course they think I'm an idiot.

mike_beene

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 12:21:24 AM »
one of the best running chip shot courses.They tend to have short grass around the greens and a lot of balls just run off.The only thing I don't like is the back to back par threes .The holes are both good but the walk around the inlet to the island grown and then the walk back to 16 tee takes forever and I think they shuttle it during big twelve tourney.Would your weak holes be 1,8,9,and 12?Twelve is the only hole I don't care for because it seems an odd angled par 5 with too much reliance on the forest left.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 09:06:49 PM »
one of the best running chip shot courses.They tend to have short grass around the greens and a lot of balls just run off.The only thing I don't like is the back to back par threes .The holes are both good but the walk around the inlet to the island grown and then the walk back to 16 tee takes forever and I think they shuttle it during big twelve tourney.Would your weak holes be 1,8,9,and 12?Twelve is the only hole I don't care for because it seems an odd angled par 5 with too much reliance on the forest left.

That walk around 15 and 16 is kind of a pain. My weak holes would be 7, it's long with a severe green, nothing to make it standout. I actually liked 8, it had a different feel than the rest of the course but I still liked it. 9 Is a weak hole, I agree, 12 is stupid, and I don't care for 18. Long hole, boring drive, long forced carry to tiny well protected green. I think it was one last kick in the nuts before going home. A poster here likes this hole because it's a good tournament closer, I respect his opinion but I think the hole is uninteresting. As for 1 I kind of liked it, I just wonder if in Big 12 and Spirit play if the big hitters can take it over the trees and drive it up near the green and leave a flip wedge.

mike_beene

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 10:15:22 PM »
Sam , I really think 1 is a good starter. if you accidentally pull your drive you can look pretty good.Seven is a good solid par 4 and maybe my favorite on the front.I almost put 18 on the list as weak also.That green is too severe for the hole,and the tee shot is a long carry for a 50 year old.The green seems out of character for a course where the fairways generally flow into the greens.Nothing like finishing the day cutting a hybrid onto a clowns head.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 10:19:24 PM »
LOL, I'm gonna tell my buddy to take a pass.  You guys are killin' me!  ;D

By the way, he LOVED Austin Golf Club.   Me too.

mike_beene

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 10:24:44 PM »
tell him to lay up on 18,take his 73 and enjoy.It is a fun and scenic place.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010, 10:29:15 PM »
tell him to lay up on 18,take his 73 and enjoy.It is a fun and scenic place.

He wouldn't shoot 73 if he skipped 16, 17 and 18!

Especially not the way you and Sam are putting it down!

mike_beene

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 10:35:10 PM »
don't let my fantasy world wreck his real one!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back