News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Cahill

Favorite/Best Practice Area
« on: November 18, 2010, 03:48:29 PM »
I finally got to World Woods last month and used their raved about practice range.  I feel bad about saying this, but I don't understand the hype.  Undoubtedly, it is a fine practice area.  But I didn't feel the "other worldly" praise that I often read about it.  Athestically (and this is what we are talking about) I find it awkward to have to load my clubs onto a golf cart to get to the range.  Call me old fashioned- I like changing my shoes sitting on my trunk and then walking to the practice area.

I find the Bandon practice area to be superior.  In fact, I think Whistling Straits and Sawgrass have practice areas I enjoy more than World Woods.  File this post under GCA naval gazing...what can I say- it's a boring Thursday afternoon.
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Favorite/Best Practice Area
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 04:02:25 PM »
Ted,
Something that sets WW's practice area apart from the rest is that you can use it without playing the courses. Plus you can play the 3 practice holes for $4.00, or bring your own balls and go up on the hill and chip and putt all day for free.

Not your favorite, as you said, but a very nice set-up nonetheless.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 04:07:36 PM »
Dear Ted,

Not the game, but we're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? ...
And we talking about practice. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And i'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do...

Sincerely,
Allen Iverson
----------------------
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ted Cahill

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 04:25:17 PM »
Joe- that reply is perfect
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 04:39:19 PM »
Joe- that reply is perfect

I happened to be watching that live when it happened.  It was funny, sad, all kinds of things actually.  Here it is for those that would like a refresh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

Oh, gotta put in a big vote for the practice area at WW.  I love the 18 hole putting green.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 05:01:20 PM »
Mr. Iverson's response is perfect!

I'm a big fan of the "practice field" at Sand Hills. For those of you who've seen it, you know what I mean.
jeffmingay.com

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
**queue Allan Iverson voice**

Are we talking about practice???

My ideal "practice range" is Shoreacres. Narrow, short, only enough room for 10 golfers. Perfect for a couple swings to loosen up, then you're off to the first tee. Sorry, but if the course is good enough I would much rather be playing then banging balls on a boring range.
H.P.S.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 05:10:21 PM »
I've never seen anything that could rival the practice facilities at Friar's Head.  Acres of short grass to hit from at various angles, modern technology, a short course, the most interesting putting green I've seen to date and two wedge greens built into the sand dune that look like they are straight off of Cypress Point.

Niall Hay

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 05:11:47 PM »
Thought that Stanford has one of the best. Variety of bunkers in different architects styles….

Muirfield Village sure is hard to beat…..full circle for all wind directions.

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 05:13:40 PM »
I am not a practice range guy, but I could have stood and beat balls at Pine Valley's range all day.

Double-ended, so you can vary wind angle and never have to stare into rising/setting sun.
Hitting off grass.
10 or so target flags each lasered daily from every hitting bay.
Short game greens/bunkers.

I took a panorama that I should get around to stitching together, but here's a shot. The coloured dots correspond to the flag of that colour, with the distance that day written on the dot.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 05:54:37 PM by Scott Warren »

Tony Weiler

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 05:17:57 PM »
I finally got to World Woods last month and used their raved about practice range.  I feel bad about saying this, but I don't understand the hype.  Undoubtedly, it is a fine practice area.  But I didn't feel the "other worldly" praise that I often read about it.  Athestically (and this is what we are talking about) I find it awkward to have to load my clubs onto a golf cart to get to the range.  Call me old fashioned- I like changing my shoes sitting on my trunk and then walking to the practice area.

I find the Bandon practice area to be superior.  In fact, I think Whistling Straits and Sawgrass have practice areas I enjoy more than World Woods.  File this post under GCA naval gazing...what can I say- it's a boring Thursday afternoon.

I'm with you here, Ted.  I was very underwhelmed by the WW practice facility (loved PB, however).  I was not impressed with the 360 range when we were relegated to one specific spot.  Further, the "18 hole putting" green has too much height, and is all about way up hill, or way down hill.  I actually liked the "starter putting green" as I could actually practice!! 

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 05:18:59 PM »
Kinloch.

WW

Niall Hay

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 05:51:26 PM »
I am not a practice range guy, but I could have stood and beat balls at Pine Valley's range all day.

PV's is awesome....great call.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 05:56:14 PM »
I've probably said this before in another related thread but put me on the range at Stone Eagle and I'm good to go.  Perfect turf, plenty of targets, and that awesome backdrop is all I need.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 06:07:58 PM »
If a course has no formal range, but does have a net cage, will you step in and whack a few just to get limbered up?

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 06:13:24 PM »
I am admittedly biased, but I LOVE standing on the range at Colorado Golf Club and hitting balls at Pikes Peak.  And watching weather roll in from those mountains while working on your game is just an incredible experience.

Paul Carey

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 06:26:18 PM »
+1.   Bar in the indoor practice facility is pretty cool too.

Kinloch.

WW

Matt Elliott

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 06:29:18 PM »
I always enjoyed practicing at Caves Valley. Especially on the big main range.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 06:30:27 PM »
For the outright view -- try The Bridge during a summer day -- utterly incredible scenery of the east end of LI.

Has mega targets and plenty of options.

For the outright practicality -- nothing can top Orange County National in the immediate Orlando area. They don't have the PGA Show Demo Day there for no clear cut reason.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 06:31:23 PM »
One other thing to mention -- at Tetherow in OR -- they have a complete short-hole course within the range that can be used when the range is down. Not a bad feature ...

JWL

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 08:17:43 PM »
Boot Ranch
May River Club

David Stamm

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 08:26:10 PM »
I've probably said this before in another related thread but put me on the range at Stone Eagle and I'm good to go.  Perfect turf, plenty of targets, and that awesome backdrop is all I need.

+1. SE's is just incredible. Valley Club' range, looking out to the Channel Islands, has the best view I've seen for a range, although SE's is pretty awesome. PGA West has a pretty good practice facility, from what I recall.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

mike_beene

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 10:42:56 PM »
broadmoor in the summer.The bells every 15 minutes,the mountain backdrop,excellent chipping and putting and a lot of good grass.

Jim Jackson

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 10:45:45 PM »
That range photo from Ran's Clear Creek course review looks unbeatable

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 10:48:07 PM »
Thought that Stanford has one of the best. Variety of bunkers in different architects styles….

But only for use by the Stanford golf teams........... :P

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back