News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Don't Be Short
« on: November 21, 2010, 05:58:32 PM »
This hole played 166 yards, or so the copy said. The photo is from 1933 and is taken from the 'east' tee, the 'west' tee is left of the footbridge forming a triangle with the well-contoured green at the apex. I don't imagine that the hole remains in this same form today.
Too bad.

Take a stab at guessing the architect and the course, I don't think that I would have ever gotten it.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Steve Salmen

Re: Don't Be Short
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 07:10:59 PM »
18 at Pasatiempo?  Just a guess because I've only played it once.

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 07:16:01 PM »
14 at The Valley Club? (if so I'd guess the current-day tee is the "west tee" to the left of the footbridge).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 07:19:18 PM by Scott Warren »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 07:37:33 PM »
You guys are way too far west, come back east a couple thousand miles.

This club is part of a small group of clubs over 75 years old that share a similar distinction.

It also asked Donald Ross to give them a report about the location, but they didn't end up with him as the architect.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 07:46:30 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 08:23:13 PM »
William Diddle, I don't remember the name of the course but think it was located in Indiana. Featured at the rear of Reff Rackelford's Golden Age book.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 08:35:34 PM »
Nice going. Diddel it is.

The course is called Kenwood CC and it's in Ohio. He built 36 holes there in 1930 and it's held an Amateur and a Women's Open.
I found the photo in an LA84 article and I was a little surprised to read that WD built it. He always seems to be portrayed as the Rodney Dangerfield of GCA, he get's no respect. That's such a good looking hole, and I don't think the Kenwood courses are even listed as his best.

http://www.kenwoodcc.com/

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 09:10:44 PM »
I'm fairly sure that this is the hole as it looks today (#5 on the Kenview 18). From an aerial it looks like much of the excitement and most of the ruggedness have been removed. That's too bad.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 09:16:53 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Chris Johnston

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 10:08:14 PM »
Although softened, it remains a very good hole.

Kenwood is terrific.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 10:15:16 PM »
Although softened, it remains a very good hole.

Kenwood is terrific.

"Softened?"  How about a verb that means destroyed, marginalized, pussified?  That is truly a tragedy, what a magnificent hole in the original photo!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 10:31:38 PM »
Exemplifying the wrong turn in GCA, Americans took away from the sport, and, into the game minders hands.

Heck, you can almost make out the old bunker shapes buried under that grass.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Steve Kline

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 01:38:54 PM »
I would have never have guessed it from the original photo, but once it was said that it was Kenwood I pretty much figured it had to be the fifth at Kenview. It is a shame what has happened, but what you can't tell from the photo is that green is still quite cool. most people view Kenview as the step sister of the club's two courses, but based on this old photo, if they were to do a full restoration they might quite the golf course.

JESII

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 02:01:47 PM »
Just out of curiosity, are those front line of bunkers the actual definition of eye-candy? Or do they serve an undeterminable purpose?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 06:50:44 PM »
I was going to post a list of all the holes I could think of that had fronting bunkers of 'undeterminable purpose' but the list of holes with fronting bunkers is too long.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back