News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Hoylake - A History of the Links by Anthony Shone
« on: November 08, 2010, 05:37:32 AM »
This new book is a 'must have' for anyone with an interest in golf course architecture. Some of us were lucky enough to meet Mr Shone at the Buda Cup gathering at Hoylake in 2006.

This is a history of the course, not a history of the club, and of its 160 pages some 145 are dedicated to the development of the course from its original 9 holes to the most recent amendments of 2010, and even to speculation about potential new holes made possible by the natural creation of a new sand dune on the seaward side of the course. Mr Shone's research has been meticulous and the precise detail he has been able to give us of exactly how each hole has been changed and developed over the years is compelling. There are many historic photographs showing us how each hole looked in each period of its development, supported by exemplary plans, maps and aerial photographs. The reasoning behind each and every change is given objectively, yet Mr Shone, a member of the club for 50 years, is never afraid to express opinion on whether these changes were good or bad. Many changes were made in house, very often forced upon the club, but the architects of the major changes (Colt, FW Hawtree, Sinclair, Steel, Martin Hawtree) are given full coverage. The green keepers and their practices over the ages have, rightly, been given prominence and ecology is also covered. Contemporary photographs give a true picture of today's course and how it is played - they are not merely there to look good.

This is a high quality book and if you want the leather-bound Collector's Edition it will set you back £140 plus postage and packing. However, the Standard Edition costs £40 with P&P of £4.75 in the UK or £8.50 for the USA. It is obtainable by cheque made payable to 'Hoylake Links', c/o Trident House, 31-33 Dale Street, Liverpool L2 2HF, or by bank transfer to Hoylake Links - A/C No 73848914 - Sort Code 40-29-08. It can also be purchased from Royal Liverpool GC, or from Mr Shone himself - I can put you in touch with him personally, if you wish.

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: Hoylake - A History of the Links by Anthony Shone
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 12:01:44 PM »

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 01:45:56 PM »
Mark

My mother was asking me the annual question of what do I want for Christmas and as usual I was stumped for an answer. This might just be the answer. If I had a choice I would go for this book rather than the usual coffee table type book wiht nothing but course photos.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Niall

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 06:31:53 PM »
Niall
if I was asked what I wanted for Xmas it would be finding an undiscovered Mac course somewhere! But this book would be a good second. Nice to see course histories being written. Thanks for letting us know about it Mark.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 07:40:22 AM »
Fond memories of Hoylake!

I still have to think about the hole numbers since we played the Open routing during the Buda Cup in October 2006.  Just add two to each regular routing hole number, i.e. #1 was #3.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 08:15:45 AM »

The Liverpool Golf Club & Course Opening, but Tom P note the early use of the word ‘Science

The Amateur Competition of 1885 at the Royal Liverpool GC Hoylake

Melvyn

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 01:40:43 PM »
Please forgive me if I bump this up, but it really is a 'must have' book.

KBanks

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 02:24:41 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for this. Bob Grant at Grant Books is friendly with Mr. Shone has a number of signed copies of the book available.

www.grantbooks.co.uk

Ken

Jim Eder

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 10:50:08 AM »
Ken,

Thanks for the link for this book. I just ordered it. Thanks again!!

Jim

Jim Hoak

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 02:26:03 PM »
I was not overwhelmed by the course when I played Hoylake, but the people there were as nice as any I met at any club in the UK--and very proud of their club and course.  Very good fun.  We enjoyed it very much.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back