News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Petersen

Re: Favorite/Best Practice Area
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2010, 01:24:17 PM »
Although it's nowhere near the course or the clubhouse, the views from the practice area at Seven Canyons outside of Sedona is as beautiful as they come.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2010, 01:27:19 PM »
Whisper Rock. No wonder it's attracted so many touring pros.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Ted Cahill

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2010, 01:56:58 PM »
The PGA Village at Port St. Lucie is by far the best practice facility I've ever seen.
Dan- I agree.  It's not scenic, but when it comes to facilities and the sheer options to work on different parts of your game, PGA Village is ideal
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2010, 03:53:30 PM »
Terry:

Baltusrol is not that far behind Pebble -- always enjoy hitting up into a major uphill area.

Drove by Baltusrol awhile back and it appeared they were changing the range.  The tees were being moved 90 degrees (in front of the back service road/caddy shack).  Bulldozed part of the mountain to have a larger flat area.  Those in the know may want to verify.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2010, 05:25:42 PM »
Bill - not before luncheon!
Cave Nil Vino

Matt_Ward

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2010, 05:29:24 PM »
Oakmont has one of the better ones for the top tier courses.

Want a bad one -- throw Bethpage into the mix -- they could film a war scene there.

Eric Smith

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2010, 05:49:04 PM »
After thinking on this for a couple of days, I believe my favorite is @ Chechessee Creek.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2010, 05:54:44 PM »
Had a chance recently to play the Dallas National course, and experience their terrific practice areas. Large range area where you can hit from both ends, multiple targets with lasered distances to each for every station. Across from the range is an enormous chipping and putting area with many greens and bunkers to hit from, over, around, or whatever other prepositions you're after. Lots of balls to use all over the place, and a very helpful staff that is not obtrusive.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Norbert P

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2010, 06:12:26 PM »

A more interesting one is Balboa Park in San Diego.  Practitioners hit from hill top to hillside over a walking path!

Image of strikers with San Diego downtown skyline in background.

TriMoountain driving range in Ridgefield Washington is a lake with FLOATER balls. 
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Alex Miller

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2010, 06:19:26 PM »
I actually somewhat dislike Balboa's range. To each their own.

A less played course that I truly enjoyed is Rancho San Marcos Golf Course in Santa Barbara. The course is a fun RTJ Jr. track, but what I love about the place is it's an affordable daily fee course that feels like a small private club, primarily because of the practice area and pro shop surrounds.

The range is simple and out of the way, but I really love the practice and chipping greens which are next to the gravel entrance road. It's nestled in with huge oak trees; I could see myself chipping and putting there for hours.

Tim Martin

« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2010, 06:33:40 PM »
TPC River Highlands has a fantastic range and practice area.

Jeff Dawson

« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2010, 07:50:02 AM »
MPCC looking into the ocean
Friars Head - you can hit balls in either direction.  Full shots down range and short irons behind you.

Scott Warren

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2010, 05:30:40 PM »
David Stamm and Bill McBride:

Agreed - The Valley Club's range sure is purrdy, but that's the best thing about it.

Sean_A

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2010, 05:48:43 PM »
I avoid ranges almost religously, but if I were to ever think of one as good it would have to be a very short walk to the 1st tee.  From this perspective Pennard's is the best I know of.  15 feet behind the tee is the putting green and 15 feet behind the that kis the range.  If you need or want more than this I am not sympathetic.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom Birkert

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2010, 06:19:24 PM »
Three that have been named here would be close to the top of my list:

Pine Valley
Friar's Head
The Bridge

Matt Harrison

« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2010, 08:37:21 PM »
Calusa Pines in FL has a great practice area that just flows so nicely, a great place to hit balls, then putt, maybe hit a few chips, and then you are on the first tee. 

JC- thanks for mentioning the Dunes Club- my favorite warmup is a few putts, rip a couple shots into a net, and then go tee it!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back