News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will MacEwen

Re: Random Encounters with GCA'ers
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 04:10:37 PM »
I was in McKee's pub on Monday.  A gentleman within earshot was talking in great detail about the Bandon courses, Doak, Sand Hills, Coore, etc.  If not a GCAer, had to be a lurker.

I go to Bandon every year, and I always figure it is about even odds that another GCAer is on the premises at the same time.

Will,

Believe it or not, there ARE a few people who aren't on GCA who are fans of Pacific Dunes and Sand Hills, thank goodness.

Sure, but if a guy says how many Doak courses there are in existence and proceeds to list them, my first thought is that he is on here or lurks here. 

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 04:46:25 PM »
    I dined with Jamie Slonis at Hidden Creek two years ago.  I'm sure he's forgotten.  I do that to people.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 06:06:16 PM »
This thread would not be complete without a link to "GCA and the Pizza Man! The Silent Majority?"

Cf. http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,12142.0/
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Adam Clayman

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 09:27:40 PM »
Timing is everything. Sitting at the O Club the last two days, I've run into people from this ebsite. Of course, yesterday's Gib citing was an unexpected pleasure. As was running into Dr. Katz today. At least I think it was. Sure hope it wasn't a sign, or something like that? Oh boy... Paging Dr. Katz... Dr. Katz.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tony Weiler

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 11:21:27 AM »
Having breakfast at Sand Hills this year with Mac Plumart, Eric Smith, and John Kavanaugh, little did I know that right next to us was Matt Schulte.  Matt and I only discovered this one month later while playing at Ballyneal!  Well, I guess that sort of counts. 

Mike Cirba

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2010, 11:52:13 AM »
Got randomly paired with Jeff Loh and his lovely wife at Pinehurst 2 last holiday season and had a fabulous time.

Also was part of Kyle's aforementioned Craig Rokke sighting at J'ville.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2010, 11:59:28 AM »
One of the really good things about playing in GCA physical events (Kings Putter, Dixie Cup, Midwest Mashie, Buda Cup), vs virtual online interaction, is meeting many of those semi-anonymous folks you know but don't really know.

JSlonis

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2010, 12:02:16 PM »
    I dined with Jamie Slonis at Hidden Creek two years ago.  I'm sure he's forgotten.  I do that to people.

Ahh...ummm....

Oh yeah, I remember. ;) I really do.

Mike Benham

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 12:10:42 PM »

Timing is everything. Sitting at the O Club the last two days, I've run into people from this ebsite.

They wouldn't let you play?

Did they catch you sneaking onto the property and had you handcuffed waiting for the authorities to show up?

Were you there to consult on one of the many ongoing projects?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2010, 12:17:16 PM »
If you show up at any given Flynn in SE PA, you are likely to have a Wayne siting. Friday afternoons are a good time!

Andrew Brown

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2010, 03:49:22 PM »
Refereeing my club's Championships on a rainy Saturday, one of the competitors had this mate following him. Got waved down by the competitor who had a most unusual situation (look up Decision 27/11 Situation 4). In the midst of me getting this ruling wrong, whilst the competitor was being driven back to the tee by another referee, it clicked that the mate following him around was Brian Phillips, so we had a short chat. It was MOST embarrassing to make a wrong ruling in those circumstances. :-[

Andrew

SL_Solow

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2010, 04:51:15 PM »
Several years ago I was invited to play Friars Head by a then lurker now GCA member.  It was a raw day and only 2 groups were on the course.  At the finish we met up in the old clubhouse and began to talk, mostly about the merits of the course.  My friend mentioned that I had more than a casual interest in architecture and one of the others stated he spent a lot of time on a website.  At which point my friend told him I was SL Solow and he responded that he was our favorite dentist, Gene.  A wonderful moment which reminds me that Gene hasn't posted for awhile and he is missed.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »
About a year and a half ago, I was at the Crazy Horse here in Chicago looking for my favorite, umm,  VIP room service provider ... when lo and behold, they told me she was busy with another customer...who turned out to be none other than ____________.   ;D

A "gentleman," no doubt.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2010, 05:32:29 PM »
SL Solow deserves all good things, and I'm not surprised this includes invites to Friars Head. For better or worse, I am much more likely to be invited to the VIP Room at the Crazy Horse; but, for better or worse, in these days of my more mature years, I will very likely turn down that invitation. Which means that there will be few random encounters with gca'ers for me; if I am to meet with any of you, I will have to horn my way into your lives by persistent and calculated effort.

But speaking of gca'ers and calculated efforts, it is very nice to see Dan Kelly back. I hope he notices how carefully I've worded my post (all grammatically correct, and like that)

Peter 

JMEvensky

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2010, 05:54:39 PM »
PeterP,you can be my guest at the Crazy Horse anytime you're in town.Just be careful where you wear the logoed shirt when you get home.I don't want everyone calling me for access.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2010, 06:06:45 PM »
About a year and a half ago, I was at the Crazy Horse here in Chicago looking for my favorite, umm,  VIP room service provider ... when lo and behold, they told me she was busy with another customer...who turned out to be none other than ____________.   ;D

TW?

Alex Miller

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2010, 07:05:38 PM »
HAHAHAHA

Excellent Bill, but after laughing my head off I now suspect you may have nailed the guess. Well done?  ;D

I have no random encounters with GCA heads, no planned encounters yet either. I'll make my debut in the 2011 KP, but it's no surprise I haven't met any, they've no doubt fled my architecturally deprived corner of the country.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:13:34 PM by Alex Miller »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2010, 07:20:50 PM »
But speaking of gca'ers and calculated efforts, it is very nice to see Dan Kelly back. I hope he notices how carefully I've worded my post (all grammatically correct, and like that)

Peter 

Thank you, Peter. I'm not sure if I'm "back," or just "passing through." But I'm enjoying it, either way.

I haven't seen a single nasty exchange in the whole 48 hours. Imagine that!

Of course, I'm avoiding that thread about the White House and country clubs....

Dan

P.S. As for your calculated carefulness: Of course I noticed. Noticing is my vice! Everyone needs at least one.

(Hmmm. What do you think? Maybe I should start a "gentlemen's club" for guys [if any] like me. Might be big money in lap soliloquies, three-way discussions of the AP's apostrophe rules, private readings of "The Elements of Style".... )

Kyle Harris

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2010, 07:31:42 PM »

Peter 

Thank you, Peter. I'm not sure if I'm "back," or just "passing through." But I'm enjoying it, either way.

I haven't seen a single nasty exchange in the whole 48 hours. Imagine that!

Of course, I'm avoiding that thread about the White House and country clubs....

Dan

P.S. As for your calculated carefulness: Of course I noticed. Noticing is my vice! Everyone needs at least one.

(Hmmm. What do you think? Maybe I should start a "gentlemen's club" for guys [if any] like me. Might be big money in lap soliloquies, three-way discussions of the AP's apostrophe rules, private readings of "The Elements of Style".... )

You mean the apostrophe does not mean that "s" will immediately follow?

Have I really been cutting grass the a mower which belongs to a green?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2010, 10:09:49 PM »
Benham. How did you know they wouldn't let me play. They even rufused to let me stay at the downtown club for three or four nights. Can you believe it? All because I pointed out that they had mis-spelled course (coarse) on their inter-active kiosk in the Hall of Fame room. Sheesh!
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
A few years ago while enjoying a cold malted beverage and listening to the wild Guit-steel of the similarly inebriated Junior Brown at the Portland Zoo, I suddenly found myself hanging out with Slag...

Norbert P

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2010, 12:58:22 PM »

A few years ago while enjoying a cold malted beverage and listening to the wild Guit-steel of the similarly inebriated Junior Brown at the Portland Zoo, I suddenly found myself hanging out with Jim Adkisson ...

(Achtung! Willy Porter (guitar dude) will be playing at The Aladdin Theater on Nov. 20th.)
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2010, 03:47:10 PM »

A few years ago while enjoying a cold malted beverage and listening to the wild Guit-steel of the similarly inebriated Junior Brown at the Portland Zoo, I suddenly found myself hanging out with Jim Adkisson ...

(Achtung! Willy Porter (guitar dude) will be playing at The Aladdin Theater on Nov. 20th.)

November 20th...11:20 tee time at Old Mac...A bit down the road, but Old 97's at Wonder Ballroom on January 25th...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back