News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Next in the series is Springhaven.  Cornish and Whitten's book says Ida Dixon designed the course in 1904, but this article nor many others that I have cannot confirm that she was the first female golf architect in the country.  Also, Findlay appeared to do some work at Springhaven, and later I'll post another article from the 1914 Public Ledger that details this work (and how again he was teamed with Fred Pickering).

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike_Cirba

Joe,

Herbert Barker also did some work...mostly in the form of adding bunkers...to Springhaven around 1910.

However, as we talked about today at Findlay's Walnut Lane...the guy was absolutely EVERYWHERE!   :o

It does not surprise me at all that we keep finding out how ubiquitous he was in Philadelphia during those years.

It seems that even on many courses where he wasn't the "architect of record", his opinion was sought and valued.

His relationship and involvement with Fred Pickering is also something that I think we're only just now beginning to understand.

Joe Bausch

Man, this Barker guy really got around.

And so did Findlay.   ;) ;D

Mike_Cirba

So if I'm understanding correctly, the architectural lineage at this site for Springhaven would be something like;

Horace Rawlins 1904
HH Barker 1910
Alex Findlay 1915
William Flynn 1920s...

Is that what everyone playing at home has too?

D_Malley

re: Springhaven
I have never seen a course that is relatively flat with soo many tee shots where the fairway is blind from the tee.

Joe Bausch

In late 1913 was this blurb from the Philadelphia Inquirer that suggested Findlay would be doing a new course for Springhaven.  Later I'll post an early 1914 Public Ledger article that suggests only some holes were changed and a new layout was not done.

Joe Bausch

Some more info about Springhaven, this coming from Labbance and White's book on their history (which somewhat curiously does
not seem to mention anything about the Findlay work at the course).  In 1923 the Green Committee called in Flynn to tweak a few
holes.  He believed that if members wanted a longer course, they were sort of out of luck on the present site.  He suggested they
sell the current site and buy another more suitable piece of land.  Springhaven targeted a spot that is basically across the street from
Springfield Country Club (on Sproul Road between Thompson and Woodland Avenues).  Flynn drew a up plans for a course there, but
membership narrowly voted down the move.  Those members that wanted to move apparently splintered off and formed Rolling
Green.

Anyways, here is the location that Springhaven almost moved to:

Mike_Cirba

Joe,

Does the Labbance book credit Horace Rawlins for the original 18?

Who the heck knew that Philly had a "Rawlins"?!   :o  (albeit seemingly altered a great deal by Findlay)

Joe Bausch

Does the Labbance book credit Horace Rawlins for the original 18?

Well, sort of.  Here is what they wrote:

"Having played over the Five Points links for eight seasons, the green committee knew the pitfalls and preferences
of course design; and so they set out to tackle the project themselves.  R.C. James, R.J. Baldwin, Charles Shoff, Clayton
G. Dixon and Trainer Kerr were probably assisted by Mrs. Ida Dixon as they routed the links, established green sites and
introduced hazards.... During the remaining months of the inaugural season at the new site, Springhaven professional
Horace Rawlins offered his input on course features.... His input was incorporated into course design when it came without
substantial monetary outlay; for during the first few seasons resources were generally directed elsewhere."

Joe Bausch

On April 5, 1914 William Evans of the Public Ledger wrote the following about the changes being made to Springhaven
(note Pickering is mentioned again, whew, thank goodness MacWood and Moriarity aren't around anymore)  ;) :

Joe Bausch

Re: January 11, 1925 review of Springhaven by J.E. Ford (North American)
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 04:18:34 PM »
Two weeks later, on April 19, 1914, William Evans talked more about the changes at Springhaven, apparently after speaking
directly with Findlay:

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 06:03:47 PM »
 Some additional classic stuff here, Joe.

Who knew that Findlay was a member at Springhaven?   I sure didn't.

Also, Horace Rawlins designed a number of early courses in this country, so I was a bit confused by the use of the word "probably" in Bob Labbance's account.    I would think that as an "expert", and this country's first US Open champion, he would have had some significant input into the original course at the Wallingford site.

Also, nice to see Mr. Pickering on the case yet again.   I think it's very possible that Findlay picked him up and started using him for the work at Springhaven right after seeing his work at Merion and Seaview. 

Do we have any accounts of Pickering working with Findlay earlier than that?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 06:09:54 PM »
Nevermind...my theory is crap.

Pickering worked with Findlay in New England and also at Greenbrier prior to 1913.

He also worked with/for Tom Bendelow and Donald Ross prior to working for Hugh Wilson and crew at Merion and SeaView.

The guy was phenomenally popular and something of an agronomic and shaping magician according to many accounts.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 08:28:16 AM »
Here's an even earlier review of Springhaven that I forgot that I had picked up months ago from the Temple Urban Archives:

Mark McKeever

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 09:08:13 AM »
I had the opportunity to play Springhaven and thought it was a pretty neat golf course.  The terriain is very gently and its a very easy course to walk.  I could see some things that reminded me of Flynn, but definitely seemed like there was a lot of Findlay influence out there.  There are some VERY cool old aerials in the clubhouse from the club's beginnings.  I wish I had brought a camera...

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back