News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J_ Crisham

Jack Westland 1931 US AM Runnerup
« on: November 08, 2010, 05:58:56 PM »
Yesterday I hosted a fellow GCAer at Beverly. It was a glorious late Fall afternoon ,possibly the last round of the year for both of us as the season is and good weather is winding down. My companion and I both commented on our 13th teebox about a large boulder which has a plaque that describes the battle between Francis Oiumet and Jack Westland.  The match ended on this hole with Ouimet the victor 6 and 5 of the 1931 UA Amateur. We are all familiar with Francis Ouimet but who is Jack Westland? What is the story of his amateur career? He obviously was a top level amateur in his day, curious as to where he was from and what he accomplished in the game .                              Thanks for any input,   Jack

Kevin_Reilly

Re: Jack Westland 1931 US AM Runnerup
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 06:03:03 PM »
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 06:11:52 PM »
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 06:14:25 PM by Sean Leary »

J_ Crisham

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 06:39:18 PM »
Sean,  I went to Kevin's link and evidently Jack Westland was a hell of an amateur-1952 champ of the US Am and 1933 Western Am champ. Also won 3 CDGA championships-wonder which club he belonged to in Chicago during the early 1930's?
                                                                                   Jack

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 07:30:29 PM »
Jack,

You should have called.

Jack Westland was a member of Cypress for many years and had much to do with the Walker Cu going there in 1981.

If you go back just a few months ago, I wrote a thread where Harvie Ward and I thumped Jack and Art Bell at CPC twenty-five years or so ago.

The Hospice of the Monterey Peninsula is now named  'The Westland House' in honor of his wife, who raised a great deal of money for a worthy cause.   

Bob

J_ Crisham

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 07:57:55 PM »
Bob,  Thanks for the info- I shall go back and read your thread. You are fortunate to have played with some of our games great amateurs. Hope all is well in paradise!  Wish you well,  Jack

Pat Howard

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 07:52:19 PM »
I never got to meet Mr. Westland, but was fortunate enough to have dinner and cocktails with his widow Helen the night before playing Cypress. I'll never forget it, and the stories about Jack and his playing days that she retold where as memorable as the round of golf itself.

John Keenan

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 03:15:12 PM »
After reading the links and the posts on Jack Westland my first thought was  a life well lived

The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back