News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

Mirimichi
« on: November 09, 2010, 09:50:40 AM »
More to come on Justin Timberlake's new course in Millington, TN.

I will try to be fair to the course, but as I stand on the driving range things arent going so well.

1. The course is riding only. I asked if I could walk (for the same rate as riders) and was told "This is a very long course. It is 7,500 from the tips so it is really like a 5 mile walk. With a busy tee sheet, we don't really allow it." I have a 10:00 tee time and the parking lot is mostly empty. I guess busy is relative. Odd since JT is trumpeting his environmentally friendly course.

2. I have a GPS like piece of equipment in the cart the size of an iPad. Actually slightly larger.

Ok trying to clear my head and enjoy the course.  Can't wait for the waterfalls. 

Eric Smith

Re: Mirimichi
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 09:54:21 AM »
A little golf before the big STYX concert tonight, Tim?

These are the best.........OF TIMES!!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 11:01:35 AM »
Eric, tomorrow's trivia question:  What do STYX and Bogey have in common?  Answer:  They both have performed at the Ryman Auditorium.

Tim, nice job bashing the course before stepping on the first tee.  Don't ruin it for me. ;)

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Bert

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 11:42:53 AM »
My GPS just flashed a friendly reminder that the expected pace of play here is 4.5 hours. Just connecting the dots here... They don think that my twosomes can walk a course in 4.5 hours.  We are playing behind 3 dreadfully slow groups. Waiting on every shot.

No comments on the course itself until the round is done.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 11:48:19 AM »
why aren't you tweeting this to JT?
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 11:49:53 AM »
Michael,

Hopefully these images will keep you interested until you play the course. Do you think Tim dismisses a woman before he goes on the date?

Aidan.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 11:52:14 AM »
Aiden, have you been everywhere?   ;D

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 11:53:55 AM »
Not yet.......

Eric Smith

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 04:43:59 PM »
Still out on the course, Tim?

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 05:37:41 PM »
It doesn't look that bad ???
H.P.S.

JMEvensky

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 05:46:45 PM »
It doesn't look that bad ???

In person,it also doesn't really look this good--at least not as good as these photos would lead you to believe.

Aidan Bradley can make any golf course look great.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 05:55:59 PM »
And in fairness, no course - not even Bethpage Black - looks good when you have to wait several minutes for each shot because of the pace of play in front of you.  I know the architectural merits of a course are seperate from the nonphysical playing conditions of a golf course, but I've never been able to fully enjoy the architecture -- other than the green structures -- of a course when being unduly slowed by course traffic.

Tom Yost

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 06:43:42 PM »
Whatever you do, don't order the box lunch.

C. Squier

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 07:03:31 PM »

Tom, that is really funny.....good stuff!

PCCraig

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 07:04:40 PM »

Find a snake in there did ya? ;) :) :D
H.P.S.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 09:19:11 PM »
I believe John Daly tweeted that Mirimichi was his "new favorite golf course" some weeks ago.  Of course, that might have been during the time that someone hacked his Twitter profile...
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tim Bert

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 12:38:08 PM »
Michael,

Hopefully these images will keep you interested until you play the course. Do you think Tim dismisses a woman before he goes on the date?

Aidan.

Aidan - With all due respect, and hopefully you will take this as a compliment... any average golf course can look marvelous when it is on the receiving end of your camera.  Seeking out this course because of your photos would be as much of a mistake as avoiding it because of my comments.  I've got some crappy iPhone photos of the course I'll post later for everyone's enjoyment.

As for dismissing the woman before the date, I think I might if I called her and suggested a nice afternoon in the park and she replied, "Sure, I'll bring a golf cart."

Mike Hendren

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 12:39:52 PM »

Post of the year.  Even the Mrs. found it hilarious.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Bert

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 12:54:59 PM »
I wanted to take some time to gather my thoughts and reflect on what I saw before I posted on the quality of the course due to my poor first impression BEFORE the round began.

I think Mirimichi is in the top quartile of public courses in the metro Memphis area.  That being said it could have, and SHOULD have, been so much more, particularly for the enormous amounts of money thrown at the course.  

For anyone that has played its predecessor Big Creek, then you won't find many surprises here.  The routing is almost exactly the same, which is big disappointment #1 for me, specifically on the front nine.  The first hole was straightened out instead of being a dogleg left that wrapped around a lake.  Now the lake is still on the left, but has been taken more out of play.  I think the new first hole is an improvement.  The remainder of the front nine is mostly the same, except that they added new bunkers and lots of humpy bumpy earth movement throughout.  One thing I found unsightly, though it admittedly doesn't impact the play or the architecture, was the odd use of two very different colors of sand.  A few holes have a "waste" area with brown sand couple with bunkers full of white sand.  Now if the waste bunker was using the natural sandy soil of the area that might be one thing, but I'm pretty certain this course isn't built on sand.  Not really sure why they went with two totally different colors, particularly since the waste area was perfectly maintained and had a rake in it...

The weakness of Big Creek, in my opinion, was always the front nine.  The back nine is on more interesting terrain and wanders a bit more.  The front nine is on mostly flat ground and the routing does nothing inspire the golfer as it is primarily back and forth and back and forth the whole way.  Mirimichi did nothing to improve the interest in my opinion.  The holes all look much nicer now, and a few play more interestingly than before, but not much.  One major downside on the playability of the front nine is that they added many very long grassy areas.  I saw several groups looking for lost balls, and we lost a few of our own.  This slows down play on the front nine immensely.

The back nine is essentially the same routing as well, though they went out of their way to better define the creeks that were running through the property by building a massive waterfall that is pumping water through the creek.  Other than perhaps a few greens which are now more interesting than before, as a whole the back nine didn't step up the game from the prior design in my opinion.

The good news is that apparently Justin Timberlake has unlimited wealth, so they should probably pump more money into the upkeep of the course.  Big Creek was always spotty at best when you visited.  I'm sure his name, as well as the nice facilities, will attract a number of golfers, at least in the short term, but I don't see this as a course that should draw anyone from out of the area.

At the end of the day, I'm going to come back to my original post on this thread.  The course is HIGHLY walkable.  I am honestly totally shocked that with JTs backing, and all the press about the green friendly course that they won't allow you to walk the course.  As for pace of play that the guy in the pro shop cited.  Well, my weekday morning round on a mostly empty course took 4:45 in a cart because of all the people in front of us playing slowly.  It is pretty insulting for someone to suggest to me that I can't keep up with a 4:45 pace on my feet.

Tim Bert

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
Here's a few photos to compare and contrast with Aiden's.  Please try to overcome the difference in quality as you draw your conclusions since I was taking pictures with an iPhone and I am not a professional.   ;D

This photo was taken from some distance and the camera doesn't zoom, but I was trying to highlight the shaping that is going on with the landforms beside the green (behind it from the angle this photo was taken).

I saw a guy in a cart with no golf clubs but with a camera taking this very photo, so I decided to see what the fuss was about when we got to the green.

Fortunately, one part of the day was a raging success

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back