News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Coast to Coast in the USA with some of GCA's finest
« on: November 09, 2010, 05:52:59 AM »
Forgive me what might seem self-indulgent, but the GCA crew was such a massive part of planning and then sharing my recent cross-country jaunt through the USA and many asked for me to share something of the trip not related to greensites, bunkers and routings.

Firstly, I just can't offer enough thanks to those who offered suggestions for sites we should see (Sedona - amazing and thanks Kris Shreiner and Michael Robin for recommending Nepenthe - that place defies description) or avoid (New Haven was at least a handy place to pick up and drop off our car...). It amazed me 18 months ago when we started planning the trip that so many of you sent PMs offering to accommodate and feed Kerry and me if we made it to your neighbourhood - this far down the track I understand a lot better the GCA brotherhood as well as just how remarkably friendly Americans are. Back home in Sydney now, it is my goal to turn this city into a hotbed of GCA goodwill!!

I was fortunate that on the trip I was able to catch up with John Mayhugh and David Tepper, who I'd played with during my time in the UK and met for the first time David Kelly, Mark Arata, Donnie Beck, Michael Robin, Bob Huntley, Tom Huckaby, Mike Benham, Kyle Henderson and Patrick Kiser as well as Bill McBride's good friend John Kinnear, who some of you met at the Alwoodley Buda Cup (I hope to God I haven't forgotten anyone. I have checked the list about 10 times!). Fine men one and all who all made my trip (and Kerry's) all the more enjoyable in so many ways. I will spend a long time paying some of those gestures forward because there isn't a way to pay them back.

I'm filthy that I forgot to get a group shot at Fishers Island and that the two we took at Riviera didn't turn out (my camera began a slow death around Vegas).

It hit me straight away that Americans are all about two things: family and patriotism. I lost count of the number of TV shows and adverts that played strongly on those two themes. Another thing was just how regularly (multiple times a day) someone would work into a conversation, apropos of nothing, where they were "born and raised"- always that exact phrase - it was uncanny.

One thing: you guys are crazy with the overmedicating. Some of the ads for pills and elixers on TV (for people and pets) astounded me as much as the woman I overheard at breakfast telling her friends: "I couldn't get to sleep, so I got up at 10pm and took a Xanax and two Aspirin." Seriously?!

Americans are more different to Aussies and Brits than I was prepared for, but almost always in good ways, though I do think they are a bit quick on the horn when you're slow getting going after the light turns green.

It was amazing to see so many things I had dreamt of seeing for decades, as well as countless sights I didn't know existed until I laid eyes on them. Here are a few things from the trip that caught my eye.

Thanks again one and all, and whenever anyone's in Sydney, the first beer is always on me.

Straight off the plane in NYC, a sight to warm any Entourage fan's heart! I was equally excited when I saw La Cienega Boulevard (from one of my favourite Ryan Adams songs) and 1001 other landmarks in Los Angeles and elsewhere.

Maybe the most beautiful city skyline I have ever seen. Empire State on the left, Chrysler Building on the right.

About a minute after we stepped out of the hotel on the first night, a GCA.com sighting!

A bout of jetlag from the London > NYC flight allowed me to be up to capture this sunrise over the East River.

Maybe my favourite photo from the trip. Perhaps rivalled by the snapshot I took of the starting sheet at Fishers that showed Mayhugh, Arata, Kelly and Warren as the only fourball of the day!

New London, during a night of revelry with Mayhugh, I spotted another good GCA name. Didn't get to sample the supplies as the town was shutting down at 10pm on a Thursday.

The best thing about Hartford (we needed petrol) or New haven was this great sky as we headed south from Boston.

Our hotel in DC featured perhaps the two most unlikely women to be hung side-by-side (unless somewhere a portrait of Mother Theresa is beside one of Jenna Jamieson).

It was fantastic to see the Lincoln Memorial...

... just outside which was this sign, which might have come in handy at Ford's Theatre all those years ago.

Ike's golf clubs at the Museum of national History, one of the 4-5 fantastic and free museums DC has to offer. One of the massive surprises of the trip was that DC isn't a shithole like so many people claimed. We loved it, especially how well set-out it is for tourists.

Saguaros on the drive north from Phoenix (unfortunately I didn't get to play at their namesake course).

The red rocks of Sedona took my breath away. Just awesome.

As well as the strangely named "Ye Olde UFO Shoppe", Sedona offered this strange sales pitch on the side of a toy store.

The Grand Canyon. Just amazing.

Something you don't see in Australia: an Elk grazing outside our lodge at the Grand Canyon.

The queue for the buffet at our hotel in Vegas. Unfortunately I didn't capture the crew lining up still wearing their pyjamas. Classy.

Vegas'over the top-ness was a constant amazement. The canals complete with gondolas in the venetian were a case in point.

One of only two highlights on the drive from Vegas to Los Angeles (Peggy Sue's 50s Diner was the other!).

Maybe the best golf hole I have seen. What's cool is that you see it from the clubhouse and practice green, then you pass it on the way from two to three, then you play it and finally you get another sight of it as you climb the hill behind the 18th green. It is never far away.

The first of three GCA.com sightings in about 20mins - just as I had found out I would be meeting the man in question later that week.

A street named after Jim Colton's GCA event (also visible just right of the red ribbon on the church is one of only a few Frank Lloyd Wright homes in southern California), and finally...

... that hockey game everyone is still talking about 30 years later. Is Dave Silk visible?

The Hollywood Hills bathed in afternoon sun was a joy to savour each afternoon (panorama - scroll right if it doesn't fit).

One day I want to live in Santa Barbara. It doesn't get any prettier than that.

This car's licence plate made me piss myself laughing! I realise he was shooting for "No Dice", but for me the number plate confirms what the car had me suspecting.

Nepenthe (get the Ambrosia burger!) is an absolute must see when driving through Big Sur. Here's the view to the west from the deck...

... and this is looking south. One of those places where you just feel completely stress free and alive.

We hit Monterey after dark and couldn't believe the se lions barking. We were picturing 20 or so really vocal ones, then saw this the next morning.

Mike, Bob and Tom didn't give me the memo about the agreed shirt/jumper colour...

With David Tepper during a great morning touring The Olympic Club.

A tank just cruising down the street in San Fran!

California Street, San Francisco at sunset on our final day in the country. Our final day also happened to be the fifth World Series Game. A midnight flight meant we could stay in the city to watch it. One of the highlights of the trip was being in a packed bar surrounded by fans when "we" won (I got on that bandwagon like nobody's business!).

Bottom of the 9th. First out. The crowd starts to fire up...

Second out... getting crazy...

This guy couldn't take the excitement and started getting his gear off at the bar...

Final out, World Series is won, I finished my beer and we jumped in a cab to the airport as the city erupted into celebration. What a great way to finish the trip of a lifetime.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 06:03:47 AM by Scott Warren »

Stewart Abramson

Re: Coast to Coast in the USA with some of GCA's finest
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 06:06:41 AM »
What a great trip and great memories . Thanks for sharing.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 07:24:17 AM »
Great show, Scott, I will forward to John, he'll love it.

You were lucky to be in SF for the finish of the World Series, a great day for Giants fans!

Whoever said DC is a shithole was wandering around in the wrong neighborhoods!

Good timing, now it's summer in Sydney!   ;D

Steve Salmen

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 07:59:45 AM »
Congratulations on your trip Scott.   You now know more about America than most Americans and have seen more of America than most Americans.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Scott,

Clearly the last stretch of pics was a "suck up" to Benham...  ;D

Great meeting you and Kerry and thanks for sharing in the fun.  Fine pics.

The only way you can repay is by NOT giving us Yanks a beat down in Wolf when we're down for the Boomerang  ;) .  Handing out cash during the MPCC round must have been quite painful to your host.  

Safe travels back and say hi to Kerry for us.  Quite the trooper.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 10:14:51 AM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 10:19:27 AM »
Unless the fall of the US dollar rebounds we will see far more Aussies on our shores than we care to shake a stick at.  My daughter moved to Australia two years ago when we were at a .7 exchange compared to the 1.0 now.  I'm guessing the Yanks will get a beat down at the Boomerang in ways they had never dreamed.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 10:20:44 AM »
Scott:
Thanks for the pictures.  It's always interesting to hear the reactions that first-time visitors have to the US.
To echo Bill McBride, though, who claimed DC was a s**thole?  Someone who visited Anacostia in 1985?  

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 10:46:04 AM »
Scott,

Thanks for another reminder of what makes this place so special.

Now back to business:  Aren't you worried that the American totalitarian, Stalinist, Saul Alinsky loving, fiscally imprudent president is going to shut down all the country clubs?

Cheers!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 10:53:10 AM »
Great stuff Scott...glad to see you had a great time here in the States.
H.P.S.

Jamie Barber

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 11:50:25 AM »
Nice pics!

Regards
Jamie (from a cold East Kent where it hasn't stopped raining for 3 days)

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 01:32:23 PM »
How come the pictures aren't showing up anymore?
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 01:34:38 PM »

I'm still seeing them.........

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 02:42:46 PM »

I'm still seeing them.........

They are all "X"'d out on my screen.  Never had this issue before...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 02:56:52 PM »
Firstly, I just can't offer enough thanks to those who offered suggestions for sites we should see (Sedona - amazing and thanks Kris Shreiner and Michael Robin for recommending Nepenthe - that place defies description) or avoid (New Haven was at least a handy place to pick up and drop off our car...). It amazed me 18 months ago when we started planning the trip that so many of you sent PMs offering to accommodate and feed Kerry and me if we made it to your neighbourhood - this far down the track I understand a lot better the GCA brotherhood as well as just how remarkably friendly Americans are. Back home in Sydney now, it is my goal to turn this city into a hotbed of GCA goodwill!!

Scott-Great pics and great post. Why the knock on New Haven? I guess you didn`t check out the Yale campus and I also heard they have a golf course. ;)

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 05:24:10 PM »

Mike, Bob and Tom didn't give me the memo about the agreed shirt/jumper colour...

Scott

Well from my angle that looks more like patriotism

The USA in red and Aust. in green  ;)

Great pics. - where are you off to now ? The Sandbelt ?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 05:27:31 PM »

Excellent...Thanks for sharing.Love these threads.Great photography.Post some more pics and next time come to Chattanooga.

Anthony

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 05:58:41 PM »

About a minute after we stepped out of the hotel on the first night, a GCA.com sighting!

Great thread Scott good to see some faces.   I love it when Mayhew takes a snap of what he finds quirky over here.

One I saw this summer

Now I’ve got a reason to plan my next trip.

Muldoon's Irish Pub
692 3rd Avenue
New York, NY 10017-4005, United States
(212) 599-2750

Let's make GCA grate again!

Scott Warren

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 01:52:43 AM »
Bill: Thanks for sending it to John. He is such a great bloke. I was going to email him a link. Great minds think alike.

Kyle: That's one huge thing I forgot. The flags. Everywhere you look, a stars and stripes flying proud. Though many were torn to shreds at the end, which seemed at odds with "look how proud I am of my country".

Terry L: I am just lucky I visited before all the clubs got shut down by the White House! ;D

Tim M: Just having a laugh about New Haven. When I said I was going there on my honeymoon Mark Bourgeois asked if I had lost a bet. It was a fine place. The pizza didn't look all that appealing though to be honest and I must admit I passed it up. Now New York's pizza... I could write for pages about how good it was!

Kevin: I am definitely down on the Sandbelt in March, but I haven't ruled out a quick hit-and-run trip before then. I am also planning to get to Adelaide before Christmas, but I'm not sure if I'll pull it off.

James Bennett

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 04:24:01 AM »
Scott

excelent pictures and write-up.  Well packaged for viewing on the pc.  Much appreciated.

Remember to drop us a pm if you make it to Adelaide at Christmas.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Carl Johnson

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 10:13:10 AM »
Great photos.  Also, very valuable to hear what we look like from the perspective of visitors from other nations. Glad you had a good trip.

Emil Weber

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 01:01:22 PM »
Absolutely marvelous Scott, that was a nice read from an obviously fantastic trip!

(LOL at the car...  ;D)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 01:32:42 PM »
Great trip Scott, You met some of our best. I am sorry to have missed you.

Tony Weiler

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 03:39:34 PM »
Thanks for sharing some "non golf" pics.  What a great trip. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back