News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Quirk Me
« on: November 06, 2010, 06:41:23 AM »

There are always threads seeking advice on golf holidays.Where to play and where to stay.I have played most of the big name courses in Scotland and seem to enjoy the ones with the highest quirk factor.So I'm seeking advice.If I wanted to take a holiday that focuses on QUIRK Where do I play.Crail with all the par 3's at the finish I love that stuff.What does my trip look like?

Thanks...............Anthony

Scott Warren

Re: Quirk Me
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 08:14:44 AM »
Cruden Bay.

Anthony.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 08:34:04 AM »
Anthony

Quirk never heard of it, can't be anything to do with Scottish Golf.  Quirk, no sorry mate we only play golf here, you know the game where you WALK & THINK 18 holes,  on a normal length course, where we embrace Nature and the Natural that is at the heart of our Great Game of Golf.

Quirk is sitting on your ass, stressing up as you ride from shot to shot;
Then stumbling because you are not used your legs, so walking even a few yards can be confusing;
Quirk is forgetting what to do when you approach your ball;
Quirk is having to use outside images to first select a club then to judge the distance you want the ball to travel;
Quirk is getting back to the cart and remembering  where it was parked without having a coronary;
Quirky is using all the latest equipment and saying the score was all down to you.

No sorry Anthony can’t think of many Scottish courses that offer that type ot con – oops sorry Quirk, although I am told that there are one or two American styled courses here that might fit the definition of your word Quirk.

Have a Nice Day and I hope you are not a quack due to your quirk fixation  - As for Quirk You, sorry but that’s going just a little too far even for a friend. :-[

Now if you want to play Golf come to Scotland, it will help you fight your quirks and may even set you back on the true path of the faithful and return that which you seem to have lost, the enjoyment of the game so  you can relax and enjoy life.

Melvyn (The Un-Quirked)

Gary Slatter

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 08:56:45 AM »
Looks like JAMAICA for your next trip.   Manchester GC in Mandeville is a quirky 9-holes that has not changed (much) since it opened in 1865-67.  Some outstanding green sites, and the caddies are special.   Then play Negril, a good 18 designed by a caddie (and his brother) with many outstanding golf shots and fun greens.  Even a driveable par 4.  Tryall is a more "normal" 18, hosted many Pro events in the past, lots of room off the tee with 18 good green sites.  Cinnamon Hill is the best course in the west (safer) end of the island, White Witch is worth playing, it's a mountain course slowly sliding down the mountain.  Half Moon is a long flat walk, Rulewich did some recent work to the RTJ design.    Kingston's Caymanas Course is excellent, but the location is a bit dodgy.
Ocho Rios has two good courses with bad greens, but fun plays, quirkly enough for you Anthony. 
The fairways may be brown, but the grass is good Mon!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 09:09:27 AM »
Isn't Shiskine quirky?  Isn't it in Scotland?  For starters, it is 12 holes.

http://shiskinegolf.com/gallery.html

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 09:15:42 AM »
Anthony,

May I suggest a swing down to Machrihanish...to play the original, which has some quirk sprinkled throughout, except for a lack luster last couple of holes. Machrihanish Dunes, which got hammered early on, by course reviewrs and raters that expected Augusta Links by the sea conditions and didn't get them ( rather, think Brora on sterioids!) has some real roller coaster possibiliites.

Then we have the crown jewel to ponder... the all-time prince of quirk gems, Dunaverty...an absolute wild beauty of quirkiness.
It has an awesome setting, way down low at the tip of the Mull of Kintyre, and the Upscale cottage package offered by the folks at Machrihanish Dunes is a great deal to serve as home base.  There are other B&B options as well. Just try to set up having some local to squire you around and share the round to add enjoyment, or plan to play each twice, so the second serve will give you a better shot at deducing the quirk.

You'll have a ball and there is a serenity about that area that only Dornoch matches from my experience. I've not visited your exaulted Cruden Bay yet, as that Aberdeen/Cruden quadrant is the one portion of Scotland I've yet to spend any time, but I will get there sir!

The Pub next to the  Machrihanish Dunes cottages is nice and Campbeltown has some good spots as well. IM me if your interested in learning more.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Jim McCann

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 09:29:22 AM »
Anthony,

If you like Cruden Bay and Prestwick then you should love the likes of
Askernish, Machrie and Shiskine - the only trouble is getting to them as
every one is on an island off the west coast of Scotland.

An unusual course further up that west coast is Glencruitten in Oban with
lots of blind drives/approaches; it's big dipper golf and LOTS of fun!!!

Another fun course in the Trossachs is Callander where nine of the ten pa
fours measure between 251 and 369 yards and the seven par threes vary
from 136 to 232 yards - very enjoyable golf in beautiful surroundings.

I've not yet played Kingussie or Strathpeffer Spa but I understand they
are also eccentric layouts worth playing.

There's a lot more to Scottish golf than just playing the ususual suspects...

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 09:29:45 AM »
Gary

You will NEVER get me back to Jamaica - had three months out there in the 1970's based at Kingston. Holiday maker’s hotels within compounds, rapes, attacks and murders. Then the recent gun battles this year, no never again - even The Dunn River Falls were congested.

My Father lived there for some four years but left due to the violence. I have lived in many hotspots but will not return to this one as the victims are just so random. But that only my opinion.  

Jamacia is Dodgy!!!!!!!!

Melvyn

PS GUYS Quirky is your words for it not mine, I call it Natural Honest Golf Courses as they should be, you are just not use to Natural so you thinks its quirky -  gives you something to look forward too when you come over. You get what you see and I think its one of the reasons I love our courses after all is Golf not about playing the Land that God gave us, do we always have to do the Devils work of raping the land. I want to play courses that have been generated by love and care of the designers with Nature and not the product of a violent attach or rape, not surprised the Castle Course has problems. ;)

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 09:48:40 AM »

Jim

Strathpeffer Spa is worth the experience. It’s a town out of place in Scotland; it looks like a Victorian English town which once was a Spa with train connection direct from London. The Course (http://www.strathpeffergolf.co.uk/) is up in the hills behind the town and while not what I call great is enjoyable. It’s a small club which started out as a 9 hole course in the mid 1880's going to full 18 by the mid 1890's.  Its approx. 30 miles west from Tain/Dornoch but if you have time worth a visit. Green Fees £26-36 from a round to a day Ticket.

Melvyn

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 10:00:18 AM »
Anthony, have you given any thought to the most quirky of all courses... Foulepointe in Madagascar?  You will have to do some digging, but it was once listed as a world top 10.   I see Forrest Richardson just popped up on the Brian Curley thread, and Forrest is the leading modern authority on Foulepointe.  Perhaps he can give you some special travel tips and reading material. ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 10:15:28 AM »
Anthony

Next time your rushing from Cruden Bay over to Castle Stuart, take the coast road and stop off at Cullen. An Old Tom course that has been somewhat re-arranged but still has a few cross-over holes, quite a few par 3's, short par fours some of which are blind and play over ancient see stacks. Also has all the sea views you could wish, and its dirt cheap.

Niall

Phil McDade

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 10:21:35 AM »
Anthony:

An extended trip to the Western Isles of Scotland might be in order. Machrihanhish is well worth a vist, and Shiskine is the quirkiest course you'll ever hope to find. Dunaverty has plenty of it, as well, in a beautiful setting. I'd suggest:

-- 2-3 days based on Machrihanish, to play 36 at Machrihanish and whatever fits your mood at the new Dunes course.

-- A short trip down to Dunaverty -- half a day at most.

-- A hop up the Kintyre peninsula and a skip over to Arran, where you can play Shiskine (twice!) and six other courses, all with varying degrees of quirk (Currie, Lamlash, Whiting Bay). Along the way up there, stop off midway on the Kintyre for a quick nine at Carradale, 9 holes of ancient fun.

-- And a hop over to Islay, both for the peaty single malts and a round or two at Machrie and its plethora of blind shots; read Finegan's book at Scotland -- he thinks Machrie is a must-see.

It's a lot of island-hopping and slow travel in these parts, but the Cal-Mac ferries are as dependable as a 12-year-old dog, and the scenery is wonderful. The golf: unconventional, quirked-up, and -- best of all -- unencumbered by golf tourists looking to notch another championship course on their belt.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 10:23:28 AM by Phil McDade »

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 10:42:42 AM »
I would suggest the RTJ Golf Trail in Alabama. :D
H.P.S.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 12:05:46 PM »
Cruden Bay.

Anthony.

Never heard of it Scott. :) ;) :D ;D

Anthony

« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 12:12:59 PM by Anthony Gray »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 12:12:13 PM »
Anthony, have you given any thought to the most quirky of all courses... Foulepointe in Madagascar?  You will have to do some digging, but it was once listed as a world top 10.   I see Forrest Richardson just popped up on the Brian Curley thread, and Forrest is the leading modern authority on Foulepointe.  Perhaps he can give you some special travel tips and reading material. ;D

RJ........every time I go to an island I end up getting married (all except Jamaica,suggested by Gary Slater who should now better) but quirky golf,top 10 at one time and island chicks may puy me over the top.

Anthony

Gary Slatter

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 01:35:56 PM »
Gary

You will NEVER get me back to Jamaica - had three months out there in the 1970's based at Kingston. Holiday maker’s hotels within compounds, rapes, attacks and murders. Then the recent gun battles this year, no never again - even The Dunn River Falls were congested.

My Father lived there for some four years but left due to the violence. I have lived in many hotspots but will not return to this one as the victims are just so random. But that only my opinion.  

Jamacia is Dodgy!!!!!!!!

Melvyn

LIke Glasgow and Dundee, trouble starts after midnight when golfers are asleep.  We lived there five years and it was very enjoyable - if you stayed out of Kingston and went to bed early.   Most visitors stay "on the resort compounds" and really miss the true Jamaica.  Most of the gangstas have left the country for opportunities abroad.  :)   Of all the Caribbean countries, Jamaica probably has fewer visitor related incidents, but the worst press.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

john_stiles

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 10:30:04 PM »

You want the quirk.  You can't handle the quirk.

But I would second the  Machrie  listed above.

I hope I get to play it again.

And eat fresh mussels at the lodge again.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 06:29:20 AM »
Anthony

Quirk never heard of it, can't be anything to do with Scottish Golf.  Quirk, no sorry mate we only play golf here, you know the game where you WALK & THINK 18 holes,  on a normal length course, where we embrace Nature and the Natural that is at the heart of our Great Game of Golf.

Quirk is sitting on your ass, stressing up as you ride from shot to shot;
Then stumbling because you are not used your legs, so walking even a few yards can be confusing;
Quirk is forgetting what to do when you approach your ball;
Quirk is having to use outside images to first select a club then to judge the distance you want the ball to travel;
Quirk is getting back to the cart and remembering  where it was parked without having a coronary;
Quirky is using all the latest equipment and saying the score was all down to you.

No sorry Anthony can’t think of many Scottish courses that offer that type ot con – oops sorry Quirk, although I am told that there are one or two American styled courses here that might fit the definition of your word Quirk.

Have a Nice Day and I hope you are not a quack due to your quirk fixation  - As for Quirk You, sorry but that’s going just a little too far even for a friend. :-[

Now if you want to play Golf come to Scotland, it will help you fight your quirks and may even set you back on the true path of the faithful and return that which you seem to have lost, the enjoyment of the game so  you can relax and enjoy life.

Melvyn (The Un-Quirked)

I want something different than the norm for American golf.Quirk is the name we use for that in the US when our clubs are in the boot.Don't divorce me Melvin,I've had too many already.

Anthony

Bruce Hospes

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 11:47:02 AM »
I would suggest the RTJ Golf Trail in Alabama. :D

Ain't that the truth!

Ally Mcintosh

Dan King

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 05:20:42 PM »
I want to do this trip someday. I'd start at The Machrie and then travel the Western Islands of Scotland. With your love of Cruden Bay I have no doubt you will fall madly in love with The Machrie. What a great place.

Islay also has the great advantage to being the home of Ardberg, Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain, Caol Ila, Kilchoman, Lagavulin and Laphroaig.

I'd like to get me a bike and travel a similar route to the one Tom Morton writes about in Hell's Golfer: A Good Walk Spoiled.

Cheers,
Dan King
No one ever talks up west-coast golf; maybe there wasn't much, or it wasn't very good. But the really wild corners of the Scottish landscape were all there, and I was sure there had to be some secret, hidden havens of golf there too.
 --Tom Morton (Hell's Golfer)[/quote[

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 07:00:57 PM »
Rather close to Cruden Bay is Cullen. And I found Durness to be real quirky - it starts as a clifftop course and then transforms into a mountain course and then a parkland for two holes before returning to the beach.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

john_stiles

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 09:40:27 PM »
Anthony,

Not sure what is going on but someone's reply was dropped wrt/ travel.  It spoke of ferry rides.

In any case, we took little  Logan Air  puddle jumpers from Glasgow to Machrie and  Glasgow to Machrihanish. 

You lose a bit more time at the airports now, but would still think the flight to Machrihanish might be quicker than the famed 'long and winding road' down to Machrihanish.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 08:09:46 AM »
John,

Glasgow to Machrihanish via air is about 30 minutes. On a clear day the flight is epic! Generally a smallish turbo-prop. You almost feel like the Wright brothers when a wind gust hit the plane, but I loved that flight and caught a sunny, killer Scottish day in May. That  car ride, though much longer, is also worthwhile. Guess it's all about time and priorities!

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back