News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Mimran

Pinehurst area golf trip - Early May 2011 New
« on: November 09, 2010, 08:02:14 PM »
Hi All - I'm planning a trip in early May (most likely 3 golfers, possibly just 2) down to the Pinehurst area and would really appreciate some recommendations.  It's looking like we will be able to play all day Thurs, Fri and Saturday.  

So far the only course I'm 100% committed to playing is Tobacco Road.  Am I correct to do so, and is it worth playing 36?  As a big fan of Mike Stantz work another possible course I'm looking at is Tot Hill.  How does it rank compared to TR?

Would it be a big mistake not playing #2, after driving all the way down there from NY?  I've played it once about 10 years ago, but would be open to other courses in the area.  

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.  Also, some lodging recs too.

Thanks,
Mike
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 06:53:16 PM by MikeSM »

Ryan Admussen

Re: Pinehurst area golf trip - Early May 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
Pine Needles and Mid Pines makes a great 36 hole day

Ivan Lipko

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 08:32:12 PM »
Tobacco Road is a bit of a nightmare IMVHO.

I would rather stick to the classics.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 09:04:41 PM »
I wouldn't turn down a round at the newly renovated #2. Along with T Road, Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and Southern Pines are all very good options in that order. Personally, I would play them all before any of the other courses on the resort.

Make sure you head to the Pine Crest Inn one night for cocktails and dinner. And one morning make sure to make it over to the Track Restaurant for breakfast!
H.P.S.

Brian Marion

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 09:19:42 PM »
Pat is dead on the money!

Take his advice on the courses, and ignore all else.......

Jeremy Aisenberg

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 09:34:50 PM »
It's been years since i played it, but The Pit (Dan Maples) is a unique course worth a visit if you are in the area and willing to explore non-Pinehurst Resort courses.  If i recall correctly, it is built in an old sand quarry.  Really cool topography.  Not sure about current conditioning but if you  have room in your trip, check it out.

Craig Disher

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 09:42:41 PM »
MikeSM,
For lodging, the Homewood Suites is very comfortable. The Pinecrest Inn is on the spartan side but has character. Another option is to rent a condo. Companies like Tin Cup and Condotels rent 1, 2, and 3 br units in Pinehurst and also can arrange tee times at area courses - not the resort though.

For dinner, I'd pass on the Pinecrest for dinner (not drinks) and head for the Ironwood Cafe, very good food and atmosphere. In Aberdeen is La Poblanita, a Mexican restaurant with terrific food - the usuals plus authentic Mexican food. And if you want bbq, drive to Carthage and eat at the Pik 'n Pig - family owned with the best bbq within 25 miles.

Tot Hill is a fairly long drive so if you're only down for 3 days I'd advise sticking close to Pinehurst. You can't go wrong with Pat's recommendations and if you're willing to ante up, you'll be one of the first to play the new #2.

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 10:01:57 PM »
Southern Pines is a crap shoot.  I think that may not be evveryone's cup of tea.  I love it, but a buddy of mine that went w/me last year couldn't beleive we played there.  It can scrruffy at times and if your buddies are looking for primo conditioning as a requirement you might want to pass.

Mid Pines and Pine Needles are outstanding IMO.

I wish I could think of the name of the little greasy spoon I always eat at.  Best burger 've ever had even if you had to walk arould buckets in the floor that were catching leaks fromroof.  It's right by Roberts Golf Shop in Aberdeen.  The Barn has good food as well.

Homewood Suites is way better than Comfort Inn..I know they are popular choices if you are going thru a packaing company.

Tom ORourke

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 08:43:40 AM »
I was down there this past spring. We did 36 at Tobacco Road. Some of our 8 guys did not like it, I thought it was great. Just make sure you have a range finder to know what lines to play, especially on layups. We played The Pit, which I played years ago. I thought it had gone downhill. It does not look like there is enough money going into it. Mid Pines is not my favorite. Cute, but not many strong holes. I like Southern Pines over Mid Pines, although I know I am not in the majority there. Pine Needles is a real golf course, do not miss it. We played Mid South which reminds me of The National. Mid South is a Palmer course, The National is Nicklaus. Great shape, big greens with multi-levels. Not memorable, classic old courses, but good shot values. I played Little River Farm a few years ago and it was okay, and a good value for the price. My brother in law was at the resort this summer and played #6 and #7 and enjoyed them both as they have the topography that #2 does not. Pine Needles would have been #1 if my group was voting , and TR would have had either the second place votes or last place votes. I would have had it as #1. Just remember, if you have a blind tee shot at TR look for the tobacco flues in the hills. Those are the aiming points on blind shots.

Brian Marion

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 11:28:19 AM »
That's tobacco BARN flues!!!   ;D

I grew up on a tobacco farm in the piedmont area of NC and going there and seeing that they used those as aiming points always brings a smile to my face.

Good times, good times

I'll be there Friday! I can't wait!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 04:52:37 PM »
Mike

FYI - I did a thread recently that included golf around Pinehurst

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45952.0/

Travis Dewire

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 06:59:59 PM »
Souther Pines is good, but conditions are sometimes a bit tough, Mid Pines is really fun - not sure about "not many strong holes" as the course certainly has many. Never played Pine Needles, but that is a must if you can. Legacy, was a never course, I think done by Gary Nicklaus, had some beautiful holes, lots of water, good to play. I real steal are the Magnolia and Holly courses at Pinewild, the Holly course is a Gary Player design and is a great play. Country Club or North Carolina is definitely worth it, if you can get on. Making about a, 35 minute drive out of Pinehurst is Old North State. This course I thought was awesome, and its last three holes are on a lake, with another par 3 (ten i think) offers your first view of the water.

The Pine Crest is a GREAT place to stay, IMO, regardless of what other posters may say. The food is excellent, the service top notch, such a friendly atmosphere that is down to earth, and can not be beat. The inn also boasts a fairly storied history, that has been neglected to be mention. The rooms are rather small though.

#2, 4, 6, 7, 8 I have played, all great to play, some better than others but all worthy of play

Have a great trip!!!!!!

Karl Kocher

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 08:05:33 PM »
My Folks live in Pinehurst and I was a waiter at Squires Pub one year in 1992(great beers).  I believe that #2 will be closed soon, but the best courses in that town are the Elks Club (Ross), #4, and #8.....not counting Forest Creek......and hit the Pine Crest bar for a blast (apre golf is key).  Best greens in the county are Mid Pines, best course is #2(best course in the world for greens).  Enjoy!

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 11:45:58 AM »
The big question is your price threshold...

Stay at the Pine Crest Inn.  Includes breakfast and dinner.  No better deal or cooler place.

Play Pine Needles
Play Mid Pines
Play Southern Pines (if the overseeding is still in place... May should be OK)
Play #2 if you really feel you need to "check it off your list"

If you stay at the Pine Crest you will have access to The Dormie Club.  Its walking only with
caddies and a really fun experience... Coore and Crenshaw ONLY available to folks staying
at Pine Needles or the Pine Crest Inn.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:30:39 PM by Roger Wolfe »

Mark McKeever

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 01:42:37 PM »
Im surprised nobody has metioned Dormie yet? :)

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Travis Dewire

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 10:22:12 PM »
How old is Dormie? Never had the chance and stayed at the inn - didn't eve know about it!!!!

Mark, what course is that in your pic?

Chris Buie

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 07:51:08 AM »

Visiting golfers are encouraged to sign their name in the loo at the Pine Crest.  They preserved Payne's autograph.  He stayed there often when he was studying with Harvie.  No word yet on whether or not they are going to preserve Mr. Plumart's autograph.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 08:00:25 AM by Chris Buie »

Mark McKeever

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 08:51:58 AM »
How old is Dormie? Never had the chance and stayed at the inn - didn't eve know about it!!!!

Mark, what course is that in your pic?

Schuylkill Country Club is my avatar.  A Donald Ross gem.

As for Dormie, there is a good bit of information on it if you search the club name.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 02:36:01 PM »
Here is the latest Dormie Club thread...

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46172.0/

Travis Dewire

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 08:59:17 PM »
Looks good! Will have to play it next time I'm there!

Love the Pine Crest Inn Pics! The place really is special. I believe a member of the Tufts family may have owned it for a period after Donald as well, but I can not say for certain.

Pine Crest Love!!!!!!

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 10:58:54 PM »
Hi All - I'm planning a trip in early May (most likely 3 golfers, possibly just 2) down to the Pinehurst area and would really appreciate some recommendations.  It's looking like we will be able to play all day Thurs, Fri and Saturday. 

So far the only course I'm 100% committed to playing is Tobacco Road.  Am I correct to do so, and is it worth playing 36?  As a big fan of Mike Stantz work another possible course I'm looking at is Tot Hill.  How does it rank compared to TR?

Would it be a big mistake not playing #2, after driving all the way down there from NY?  I've played it once about 10 years ago, but would be open to other courses in the area. 

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.  Also, some lodging recs too.

Thanks,
Mike Mimran

Mike,

What part of NY are you coming from?  Depending on where you are coming from, you may go right past Tot Hill Farm either on your way in or out of town (along Route 220 near Asheboro).

I have a small group from Buffalo and have been down the last two years (going down again next May). When you make the trip, Tot Hill is a good option for either your first or last round of the trip (since it is around 70-80 minutes from Pinehurst).  Not sure how much price is a consideration for your group, but THF is one of the less expensive courses within most travel packages (mainly due to its distance from Central Pinehurst).

Relative to Tobacco Road, Tot Hill is the “lesser” of the two Strantz offerings, but I still find it enjoyable.  As with many Strantz courses, THF could have polarizing effects on people within your group.  There are a number of dramatic features and people unable to accept an occasional ricochet off of boulders in good humor may not enjoy their day.

While I enjoy THF, one thing that we noticed last year is the rather jarring effect the course can have after spending several days playing the Sandhills area courses.  In the Sandhills, you start to get lulled in by the effective space you have.  Even if you send a ball into the tree-line, the pines of the Sandhills usually allow you to find your ball quickly.  Although you’re just an hour north, the vegetation and trees are starkly different at THF, with thick brush along many of the tree-lines.  The course conditions at THF are much softer than the rest of the Sandhills, which also takes some time to re-adjust to.

All in all, I would recommend you take it in at least once, especially if you are a fan of Strantz.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back