News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Golf Digest's latest armchair architect contest
« on: June 10, 2010, 04:14:36 PM »
golfdigest.com/go/armchairarchitect

In case people missed my post on Charlies AAC2 thread.

Design to be done using Google Sketchup from a location downloaded from Google Earth.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean Leary

Re: Golf Digest's latest armchair architect contest- GCAer wins
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 11:32:30 PM »
Didn't see this posted anywhere, but congratulations to fellow GCAer Nick Campanelli.  Surely not a surprise that someone here won, and since Nick won the last GCA AA contest as well, he is officially the man.

Congrats.

Nick Campanelli

Golf Digest Dream Hole Armchair Architect Contest - GCAer Wins
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 09:46:47 AM »
Didn't see this posted anywhere, but congratulations to fellow GCAer Nick Campanelli.  Surely not a surprise that someone here won, and since Nick won the last GCA AA contest as well, he is officially the man.

Congrats.

Thanks for the note Sean.  Good news of course.  It was a fun competition designing in Google Earth & SketchUp, and even more fun seeing the work published this month!  I'm looking forward to the upcoming round with Mr. & Mrs. Dye.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 09:55:53 AM by Nick Campanelli »
Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

Sean Leary

Re: Golf Digest's latest armchair architect contest
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 10:28:30 AM »
Nick,

I probably should have started a new thread proclaiming you the winner, but I thought somebody else probably had already and I missed it. This one was started by Garland, so nobody will probably open it....

;)

Congrats again..

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 11:18:01 AM »
Congrats, Nick. Having seen that stretch of land in person, I can only say I immediately thought, how cool would it be to build a golf course here...Of course, it is very off-limits, and maybe deservedly so.

I don't know how much contact or interaction you've had with Gil, Todd E or Tripp D, but having them pick you as the winner is about as good as it gets.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott Weersing

Did you know that our website was mentioned? I was thrilled to see golfclubatlas.com get mentioned in a main stream magazine. I guess that makes us legitimate and not just a bunch of gca nuts.

Here is the golf digest story:

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2010-07/armchair-architect-contest

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 09:55:42 AM »
Scott, not only did they mention GCA, they also mentioned it was his second design award after his first here on GCA. BTW, Nick have you received your book from Mike? I know you haven't received you participation gift from me yet.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 10:41:45 AM »
Scott, not only did they mention GCA, they also mentioned it was his second design award after his first here on GCA. BTW, Nick have you received your book from Mike? I know you haven't received you participation gift from me yet.

Charlie / Scott,

I purposely mentioned GCA and the other contest to Ron Whitten when he called me a few weeks back.  I thought it would be cool to mention the site seeing as how i've learned a lot from everyone over the past few year.   

Mike Nuzzo emailed me a few weeks ago to let me know he hadn't forgotten about the book.     

PCCraig

Re: Golf Digest Dream Hole Armchair Architect Contest - GCAer Wins
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 10:53:27 AM »
Didn't see this posted anywhere, but congratulations to fellow GCAer Nick Campanelli.  Surely not a surprise that someone here won, and since Nick won the last GCA AA contest as well, he is officially the man.

Congrats.

Thanks for the note Sean.  Good news of course.  It was a fun competition designing in Google Earth & SketchUp, and even more fun seeing the work published this month!  I'm looking forward to the upcoming round with Mr. & Mrs. Dye.

Nick:

Where are you playing with the Dye's? Any idea?
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 10:55:03 AM »

Charlie / Scott,

I purposely mentioned GCA and the other contest to Ron Whitten when he called me a few weeks back.  I thought it would be cool to mention the site seeing as how i've learned a lot from everyone over the past few year.   

Mike Nuzzo emailed me a few weeks ago to let me know he hadn't forgotten about the book.     

I also thought it was nice that the mentioned GCA. Fitting considering they almost "lifted" the entire contest format right from Charlie's annual contest!!!! :)
H.P.S.

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 11:05:04 AM »

[/quote]

It depends on the season and whenever Pete and Alice get a break.  Ron is working on setting a date.  If its this winter it will likely be in Florida (Sawgrass?)  If spring or summer, it will likely be in Indiana (Crooked Stick???  French Lick???).  Either way, it will be fun trying to extract Pete's thoughts about the routings!

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 11:10:20 AM »

It depends on the season and whenever Pete and Alice get a break.  Ron is working on setting a date.  If its this winter it will likely be in Florida (Sawgrass?)  If spring or summer, it will likely be in Indiana (Crooked Stick???  French Lick???).  Either way, it will be fun trying to extract Pete's thoughts about the routings!
[/quote]

Nick...very cool! A round with Mr. Dye at any of the above courses would be a real treat (Crooked Stick especially).

Congrats again.
H.P.S.

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 05:48:52 PM »
Did anyone else from GCA submit for this?  Just curious.  I did not recognize any of the usernames that other entrants were using in the SketchUp warehouse.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back